• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

would you use a platform with side wires if it cut weight way down?

raisins

SH Member
It seems that platforms are a lot heavier per size than tree stands.

I am counting this as due in part to platforms like the predator not having side wire supports, so there is a lot more leverage on certain parts (so built a little heavier)

If you could get something like a predator but have it weigh under 2 pounds, would you put up with stepping around/tripping on side wires?

edit: I just know that if a full loc on limit is like 7 pounds that 4 pounds for a much smaller saddle platform without a seat or longer post....seems like a lot

Last edited:
I know I would. I like an ROS to get around the tree as opposed to twisting on a platform so the side wires wouldn’t bother me a bit

You might be onto something. Think of standing on a tennis racquet. Assuming a strong outer frame, I don’t see why not though OOAL already does something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that platforms are a lot heavier per size than tree stands.

I am counting this as due in part to platforms like the predator not having side wire supports, so there is a lot more leverage on certain parts (so built a little heavier)

If you could get something like a predator but have it weigh under 2 pounds, would you put up with stepping around/tripping on side wires?

edit: I just know that if a full loc on limit is like 7 pounds that 4 pounds for a much smaller saddle platform without a seat or longer post....seems like a lot

I was going to attempt something like this with a LWCG DIY Ambush. Not to chase a weight savings, but to have a post just long enough for a knee support. I supposed the Ambush has enough width to prevent cables from becoming obstacles.

Other than the slightly thickened area around the Ambush's platform post, I don't know that there is a significant difference in thickness of material or pattern density compared to a .5. I wouldn't anticipate much trimming is possible to effect a notable weight loss.

But I hate knee pads, and think something could be done with a cabled design to pair a spectacular knee rest with a micro platform, with the bonus of tree stand leveling.

I don’t see it being any different of a “deterrent” than the arms on the Barren Ridge climber saddle platform

So I looked and I’m wrong. While the .5 and Ambush platforms are the same thickness plate, the width of machined metal bracing is greater on the Ambush, throughout.

So I looked and I’m wrong. While the .5 and Ambush platforms are the same thickness plate, the width of machined metal bracing is greater on the Ambush, throughout.

with side wires, you should be able to make a mini loc on limit type platform that weighs 2 pounds or so (bent aluminum and aluminum mesh or even incorporate something like the tennis racket idea for the platform surface.....i'm surprised more folks don't incorporate nonmetal materials into areas like that)

if i could do metal work, i'd try it out

center post would also take less force at the pivot and could be hollow and lighter and could build in a greater range of platform leveling by sliding the wires up and down just like a lone wolf

i'm guessing after a season that you would begin to subconsciously step around the wires.....like walking to the bathroom in the dark and not hitting the garbage can

Back