• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wrist slings

Do you use a wrist sling on your bow?

• Yes

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

HuskerInIowa

SH Member
Was just looking around at options and saw a few posts on other forums like people were looking for a betamax; they still make you? I’m going to keep using one, I’m too old to care what’s cool if it isn’t anymore, just curious what others do.

I voted no, but I do have one on there. If a giant buck comes through maybe I’ll slide into the sling just so the fever doesn’t cause me to drop my bow, or if it’s stupid cold out and I don’t think my fingers can hack it alone.
I used to use it all the time, but now it’s just on there for nostalgia. Despite never really using it, I will probably never take it off.

I use and love a wrist sling on my compound bow. But I don’t rely on it, so if I need to grab my bow and get to a set position while wearing mittens or gloves, I can push the sling to the side and grab the handle without any concern.

I use and love a wrist sling on my compound bow. But I don’t rely on it, so if I need to grab my bow and get to a set position while wearing mittens or gloves, I can push the sling to the side and grab the handle without any concern.
I just can't shoot well without a sling, my mind can't handle it. No matter how much I practice, and tell myself how to do it, as soon as I start to release an arrow without a sling, my left hand death-grips the bow.

I thought wrist slings were sort of standard on compounds. I've never really given it too much thought. I didn't realize the cool kids weren't doing it anymore, lol.

I made a new one a while back out of 1" tubular webbing that I am really liking. I cut the webbing the length of my old one and heated a 45 acp shell case red hot in a pair of vice grips and burned a hole through each end where I could put the stabilizer through. I'm liking it. I may put a zip tie in there to give it a little rigidity.

If you’re a chronic death-gripper, I believe the sling can help you overcome that. It helped me when I was starting out and I would try to catch the bow upon release; sling allowed me to trust something other than my two-fingered crab claw to keep the bow from jumping out of my hand. Then after getting comfortable with my form, I found the sling to just be one more step in the shot process that was unnecessary. If your grip is right and you’re not overbowed and you have the right arrow setup, that bow isn’t going anywhere. Dead in the hand. A dead bow on the shot requires no sling.

A sling is required for me, even back when I shot recurves only. I can't imagine shooting with my preferred grip and not using one. I'd be too afraid of dropping my bow from a tree and destroying it.

I use a Bohning one on all my bows where the part that holds the cord is a sturdy polymer so it doesn't hold scent or water and can't mar my bow's riser.

Back