• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XINDA carabiners

backstrap19

Has anyone ever used xinda carabiners? are they safe? I am wanting to find an autolocking carabiner for my tether, and these seem affordable and climb rated, however i don't want to risk my life to save a few bucks. any info on these would be appreciated. here is a link. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D73RJW...olid=24I3OVEURQH3V&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The reason i'm looking is that I forget to screw my HSS carabiners shut once in a while, and while going around the tree the other day, i pressed my carabiner against the trunk and looked over as the gate was being pressed open. made me think about an autolocking version. thanks for any insight.

Has anyone ever used xinda carabiners? are they safe? I am wanting to find an autolocking carabiner for my tether, and these seem affordable and climb rated, however i don't want to risk my life to save a few bucks. any info on these would be appreciated. here is a link. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D73RJW...olid=24I3OVEURQH3V&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The reason i'm looking is that I forget to screw my HSS carabiners shut once in a while, and while going around the tree the other day, i pressed my carabiner against the trunk and looked over as the gate was being pressed open. made me think about an autolocking version. thanks for any insight.

You linked screw gate - not sure if you meant to. @Vtbow scared me off auto locking biners - maybe he’ll chime in.

As far as the ones you linked - I’ve never heard of them - but affordable and carabiner really shouldn’t be in the same sentence. You use one, and the most expensive biner for our uses is about 30.00, with most around 15.

Don't buy no name biners. Don't buy no name rope. Don't buy no name climbing gear. Period.

It needs to be part of your process EVERY TIME you leave the ground to squeeze check your biners, auto locking or not. The second you introduce a single auto locker into your system, your increasing the chances of forgetting to check them, and if you introduce a non auto anywhere in the future you're sure as hell going ti Forget to lock it. Auto lockers make you complacent, safety checks still need to be in place. Auto lockers also hate snow, water, ice, dirt. Over time then mechanism will wear. I've had them auto twist slower than the gate closed ND appear closed, but really the locking barrel is pinching the biner.

Put bluntly: Don't be lazy and buy auto lockers because you have forgotten. Just don't leave the ground without checking your gear, period. If you can't do that, you have no business being off the ground.

I can't speak to the integrity of Xinda carabiners but I personally would use a recognized name for my life support. Black Diamond or Petzel biners are all available for approximately the same price.

EDIT: I concur fully with @Vtbow on the self locking carabiner as well. I quit using them after one time I looked back on my linemans loop only to find the biner had pinched the loop and wasn't fully closed. If I had been using a manual screw gate I would have detected this issue as the gate wouldn't have screwed closed

Last edited:
thanks for the input everyone. my mind is already changed. that's why i posted that question, hoping to get some honest input. I appreciate it.

What Vtbow said X 2. Buy quality gear and check everything twice before you climb. It's your life and you only get one so don't risk it to save a few dollars. Twisting a gate shut becomes automatic if you pay attention to what you are doing. I you still want to use auto locking carabiners then change all of your carabiners to quality auto locking not just the one on your tether. Having one of them open because of you negligence can be just as bad.

If you are looking to save some money. Buy Mad Rock. They're cheap, lightweight, and have been used in the rock climbing arena for a while now.

Back