• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XOP Aider

Butert

Thinking of girth hitching my aider to the step of my XOP stick. What are your thoughts or concerns?

Attachments

• C443106D-369D-4097-B5FC-A5536381D9E6.jpeg
    C443106D-369D-4097-B5FC-A5536381D9E6.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 95
I assume rope strength has already been taken into account by you, so other than that, I think the biggest challenge is whether it could potentially cause kick out of the stick due to it being off center of the post and stick bracket.

Test it out at ground level by putting your foot in the aider and pressing at different angles to see if you discover any issues or not with kick out or anything else that may occur.

If you do experience issues, another option would be to make a continuous loop (looks like you have amsteel for your aider) at the top of your aider, and attach the aider via the loop to the post which would center it with the stick bracket. Should have no kick out issues with that method.

If you go the loop route, consider whether you want the flexibility/ease of detaching your aider or not. If you want the option to take the aider off at leisure, you would want to make the loop large enough to manage it to fit over/around the stick bracket. If you want the aider on all the time, then make the loop smaller so that it fits just over the post. To get it on, you'd disconnect the stick bracket, slide the loop on the post, then reconnect the stick bracket.

Hope this helps some.

I assume rope strength has already been taken into account by you, so other than that, I think the biggest challenge is whether it could potentially cause kick out of the stick due to it being off center of the post and stick bracket.

Test it out at ground level by putting your foot in the aider and pressing at different angles to see if you discover any issues or not with kick out or anything else that may occur.

If you do experience issues, another option would be to make a continuous loop (looks like you have amsteel for your aider) at the top of your aider, and attach the aider via the loop to the post which would center it with the stick bracket. Should have no kick out issues with that method.

If you go the loop route, consider whether you want the flexibility/ease of detaching your aider or not. If you want the option to take the aider off at leisure, you would want to make the loop large enough to manage it to fit over/around the stick bracket. If you want the aider on all the time, then make the loop smaller so that it fits just over the post. To get it on, you'd disconnect the stick bracket, slide the loop on the post, then reconnect the stick bracket.

Hope this helps some.
I didn’t think about the kick out, I was more worried about the step itself breaking. Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Back