• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

XOP/Lone Wolf Seat Stability

DB4x4

I was intrigued by the idea of a platform that can serve double duty as a climbing method, so I ordered a Lone Wolf hand climber seat on Cyber Monday to try it out. I think I may have solved the stability/collapsing issue for everyone. You could do this a couple of different ways, but in this example, I used a lone wolf strap on a boat buckle, and 12" soft loop trailer tie down strap.

The key is where you girth hitch the straps and how you route them thru the platform and around the tree. Once tightened down with the boat buckle, it's solid. I could put side pressure on it and even stand on the traction belt arms...

Attachments

• 20181209_125347.jpg
    20181209_125347.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20181209_125714.jpg
    20181209_125714.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 20181209_125728.jpg
    20181209_125728.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20181209_132323.jpg
    20181209_132323.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 100
Stability video link:

^ Hopefully that works...

That's what we do minus the heavy metal hook. Like you said, solid as a rock. We were just getting ready to do a video on this too. Screenshot_20181210-200557.jpg

Wait, you found a deal on a hand climber? I never find deals on stuff I want. Lol

Some guys are doing a strap like that. Maybe the cam buckle makes the difference.

I found that the routing of the straps is key. Running them this way prevents a downward force near the teeth from folding the seat and this also allows you to use it as a platform on a really skinny tree. The soft loop strap also allows you to eliminate the metal on metal contact of the hook/platform...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-10-20-26-47.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-10-20-26-47.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
I'll rig mine up that way and try it. I just have the lone wolf strap girth hitched on one side and we use a taped up aluminum carabiner on the other corner. It's so light and the perfect size, we use it with sticks too. Plus it has a built in shoulder strap lol.

But have you tried putting it on without having your feet on the ground, while standing on the platform or hanging from the tree? I like the way you wrapped it around the climber, but I tried something similar with the same strap and found that the effort to get it on wasn't worth it for the small gain in stability.

But have you tried putting it on without having your feet on the ground, while standing on the platform or hanging from the tree? I like the way you wrapped it around the climber, but I tried something similar with the same strap and found that the effort to get it on wasn't worth it for the small gain in stability.
I was thinking the same thing. Just putting boot blankets on once I am on the platform is a chore.

It is very easy for me, most likely due to the fact that I run an adjustable bridge using a prusik. Lengthen bridge, sit in catcher's squat, run strap around tree, pull tight, close boat buckle, stand up, shorten bridge.

I don't know about you but i have no flexibility. So the way my cousin and i do things is different. I'll show you how i secure the strap, easy. If it stops raining ill do a video this weekend. Detailed vid.

Last edited:
Ya, think I would need a single step aider to drop down to put a strap on like that. Worth it I think though. I gotta find one of these.

Back