• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Y’all are my people

Lowg08

Well I’ve been looking through the older deer contest submissions. It makes me feel like we have the same mind set. Lots of does and spikes and younger buck. Also some really nice bucks. I like to have big deer to chase but I won’t pass much. Just had to throw that out there. Now in certain areas. I will maintain more restraint once I get several under the bow kill category.

Last edited:
Well I’ve been looking through the older deer contest submissions. It makes me feel like we have the same kind set. Lots of does and spikes and younger buck. Also some really nice bucks. I like to have big deer to chase but I won’t pass much. Just had to throw that out there. Now in certain areas. I will maintain more restraint once I get several under the bow kill category.
I roll pretty much the same way.
i hunt two states so I'm pretty liberal when it comes to tagging somthing in one state but the other state i really need to be selective because the zone i hunt its one deer either sex and your done.

I'm usually operating along the same lines. I do get sidetracked when I get on the trail of a good buck. I just like hunting and taking deer with a bow a close range. It's my opinion if you get good at arrowing big, wary does at close range it will really help you with bucks too. Those does will teach you a lot.

Well because they run dogs here in Virginia, once gun season is in, its a crap shoot. Since we are allowed 3 bucks of the 6 deer total, I usually just put meat in the freezer or help family’s in need. Then I will try and keep 1 buck tag for the big boys. Once the dogs start running any and all patterns are gone, just like shuffling a deck of cards. Not uncommon to be miles into Public and have a pack of dogs come rolling trough. They cannot hunt public with dogs, but they will let them out on the private next to it, and have the dogs run the deer into private they have a lease to. Im not picky on antlers most of the time.

Well I’ve been looking through the older deer contest submissions. It makes me feel like we have the same kind set. Lots of does and spikes and younger buck. Also some really nice bucks. I like to have big deer to chase but I won’t pass much. Just had to throw that out there. Now in certain areas. I will maintain more restraint once I get several under the bow kill category.
I think a guy getting into bow hunting should kill the first 25 legal animals that come by the tree. It really takes that many under your belt to get good at killing them.

I think a guy getting into bow hunting should kill the first 25 legal animals that come by the tree. It really takes that many under your belt to get good at killing them.
I had never thought about it. I’ll be slinging at all the ones that pass by.

Well because they run dogs here in Virginia, once gun season is in, its a crap shoot. Since we are allowed 3 bucks of the 6 deer total, I usually just put meat in the freezer or help family’s in need. Then I will try and keep 1 buck tag for the big boys. Once the dogs start running any and all patterns are gone, just like shuffling a deck of cards. Not uncommon to be miles into Public and have a pack of dogs come rolling trough. They cannot hunt public with dogs, but they will let them out on the private next to it, and have the dogs run the deer into private they have a lease to. Im not picky on antlers most of the time.
I lived in Smithfield for 15 years. I never hunted Va because of the dogs and the slob hunters that were with them. Always went out of state for a two week hunt. You live in Wellington Estates?

By the time I was 20 or so I had already killed plenty of nice bucks.
Now I let young bucks AND nice bucks go and i enjoy knowing they'll live another day.
I have been pretty dedicated and haven't eaten tag soup in my home state except for the years I was 12 and 14.

For me it's just more fun to go after the 'King of the Jungle' so to speak.
I know he's out there and I'll get him...

Good thread and I understand that everyone hunts for their own reasons and I like to hear other peoples ways.

I just did it. Look out for the rookie lol
Hey take advantage of that beginner's luck. I remember seeing a lot of good bucks when I first got started, mostly dumb luck or being young and dumb and covering lots of ground and brush busting thick cover. I didn't kill said bucks until I got quite a few dinks under my belt though. But they all help learn ya.
For me anymore, I fill the freezer to last the year, and then I go for quality. If I get a couple deer down early it takes the pressure off in a way, so I enjoy the rest of the season more and try to just take in the experience. If it feels right, I shoot, if not I let them pass.

Back