• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

You can never have too much experience to get humbled!

Shapeshifter

SH Member
Alright then, so I went out this past Saturday for a morning hunt. I decided to hunt this small section of public that's probably only about 90 acres. This section is located in a very flat swampy creek bottom. Aside from the creek that runs through back part of this section, this area is pretty featureless. I had decided that NW wind was perfect to hunt a stand near a thick briary bedding area. This is a pretty good spot as I had shot 3 deer last season. Now this spot is not to far off the road, only about 350 to 400 yards. As I made my way to the stand using only my green headlamp I realized that I had somehow gotten turned around and was actually heading the completely away from my stand location. I don't use bright eyes un public, relying mostly mostly on pin drop on my hunting app. My location finder on the app was working very slow and at times seemed not to be keeping up. A few times I thought I was close only to realize nothing looked familiar. While stumbling around the woods almost aimlessly my foot caught an unseen branch under the tall marshy grass causing me to fall onto my left ribs on a log also under the grass. After about 25 minutes of searching I finally came to another stand location area that I had hunted once before. As the sun was starting to come up I climbed into a familiar looking poplar tree. By the time I made it up it was completely light enough for me to see and to realize that it was way to thick and that I had almost no shooting lanes. Deer would almost have to be directly under the tree to have a shot. Also the NW wind was completely wrong for this location. As I sat there a few minutes, I bent over to remove my knaider and swaider my cell phone fell out of shirt pocket an landed at the base of tree. I sat there a few more minutes trying to decide what to do while cooling down from my total cluster.
I then proceeded to knock my hat of of the hook as well. It was at this point that I decided that in my 30 years of hunting this was my most embarrassing and humbling experience out in the deer woods and that it was time to get down, pack up and go home with my bruised ribs and battered ego. How many of you guys have had humbling experience in the the great deer woods?

My first sit of the season is usually a comedy of errors and will have you questioning if I’m of sound mind to vote.
First sit forgot my stick, no problem had a preset. Tree that looked so awesome in summer was now so large in diameter I couldn’t get my tether around it, had to use a lifeline rigged to my saddle backwards. Dropped my hat, quiver and release aid in the process of this delicate dance of getting tethered without falling out the tree. Finally got settled oops range finder is in the truck. Sigh.

Anytime I see deer is a win, the times I screwed up whether it be entry with ground scent, setting up with sun beaming down on me or rushing a shot, that is a learning experience but still a win.

My first sit of the season is usually a comedy of errors and will have you questioning if I’m of sound mind to vote.
First sit forgot my stick, no problem had a preset. Tree that looked so awesome in summer was now so large in diameter I couldn’t get my tether around it, had to use a lifeline rigged to my saddle backwards. Dropped my hat, quiver and release aid in the process of this delicate dance of getting tethered without falling out the tree. Finally got settled oops range finder is in the truck. Sigh.
That's a rough first sit brother. Thanks fo for sharing.

So last week I had just enough time after work for an evening hunt.
I go out to the corn crib (that's where I keep all my huntin' clothes) to get ready. I was looking at my saddles hanging there and wasn't sure which one I wanted to take that night. Meanwhile I got dressed and got some arrows with field points switched over to broadheads, grabbed my pack and jumped in the truck...
A few miles away I realized I never freakin' figured out what saddle I wanted and didn't grab one at all. Oh phoowy!
well, I wasn't about to turn around so I was just going do some still hunting and scouting 'cause I hadn't been to this spot yet this year...
Once I got there I didn't need my pack since I had no saddle and wasn't gonna need my one-stick or other saddle related crap so I grabbed my bow and was just about ready to start off when I noticed my release wasn't girth hitched to my stabilizer! Oh phoowy again!

Had a pretty decent SCOUTING trip though...

Anymore I can't really do hunts without at least getting all my gear ahead of time, otherwise I forget stuff too. At least you got to scout.

Back