• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

You never know what you’ll find....

IkemanTX

I spent the whole day scouting and pulling cameras on one of my favorite hunting properties today.

Woke up at 3am, got ready, drove 2.5 hours, hiked 2 miles, and set up with a spotting scope and camera to only see a few does first thing in the morning. After that, I slowly worked my way through the 8 miles of hiking (in 90+ temps) to pull 5 camera cards, and headed back to the truck.

I took a really random route to get back to the truck... technically shorter, but much more difficult terrain. I have no clue why I did it. Good thing I did, though, because I found something crazy along the way.

There it was in waist high grass, I wouldn’t have seen it if I hadn’t almost stepped on it. 300+ yards from the nearest road, 500 yards from the nearest parking lot in the middle of nowhere.....

A STINKIN RONIN S

6537577a5e5863ed46a6eee3cf72efd0.jpg

643eb0e3751cf46fd4f9fe1310dd00fb.jpg

At first, I figured someone must be nearby and set it down to do something and will be back. I yelled and whistles trying to get someone’s attention, and nada. Marked the GPS location and went about my last couple hours of scouting. Once I got to the truck, I decided to circle the property and check all the parking lots.... zero vehicles. So, I went back and grabbed it and took it home.

Once I drove the 2.5 hours back, I went through the carrying case more thoroughly and found a receipt with a little bit of personal info on it. Decided to try and track the guy down... a few hours later, I got ahold of the guy.

WHAT ARE THE STINKING ODDS?

Apparently it has been out there for 4 days. Him and a couple buddies were filming and scouting and got distracted by a couple bucks in the distance and spotting scopes tripods etc...

I’ll be shipping it to him in the next couple of days. It sure was tempting to not really try too hard to find the owner, but I don’t think I’d have ever been comfortable using it knowing I didn’t buy it. (Even if I had exhausted all options of trying).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're a class act!!! That's what true hunters and sportsmen are right there!!!!

I don't know what that is, but man it sure looks expensive. Good for you sir. May the largest buck of your life fall asleep in front of you this year.

I don't know what that is, but man it sure looks expensive. Good for you sir. May the largest buck of your life fall asleep in front of you this year.

It is a motorized gyrostabilizer mount for DSLR cameras to make the footage look super smooth. This particular model runs about $750.

That’s awesome, it’s refreshing to hear good stories like this in todays world, I think that guy owes you a couple beers!

Well it’s a good thing I found it yesterday... storms and lots of rain are currently covering most of southern Oklahoma. It would have been toast.

And this is why I like hunters and outdoorsmen. We have our dregs like all other folks but by and large you meet more honorable, decent folks than just about anywhere else. Just good stuff.

You are a good man!!!! You have my respect!!! Not that it really means anything to you but, RESPECT brother!!!!

Now you know there's a buck good enough to forget expensive gear for.... you might want to milk some details out of this guy before you send it back, lol

I’ve spent 200-300 hours a year on this property for the last 2.5 years... I know good and well what’s out there, I’m just hoping he doesn’t figure out!

Back