• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Your height and stick step spacing

Jeremy_D

Considering getting some new sticks. Im 5'10" I currently have 4 cut LWs with 18" step spacing. I also use a CAYG aider. With this I can get 20' or better no problem. Im looking at Beast Sticks and not sure which size to get Dan says in a video hold your foot to a wall 24" seems like alot but climbing its nothing. I wouldnt mind shedding the aider if I can but I dont want to fight a huge step spacing either.

If it helps at all. I have the 24" beast sticks and they are okay for me as far as step spacing. Im only 5"3. I think if I could do it again, I would go with the mini's because they would pack up better for me in my turkey vest.

I think the best thing for you to consider is how you are packing it. As far as spacing, I think you should have no problem with either.

If it helps at all. I have the 24" beast sticks and they are okay for me as far as step spacing. Im only 5"3. I think if I could do it again, I would go with the mini's because they would pack up better for me in my turkey vest.

I think the best thing for you to consider is how you are packing it. As far as spacing, I think you should have no problem with either.
Not to worried about packing them I have that down pretty good. Seems the step spacing on 24"s shouldnt be a problem at my height. Thanks!

I can reach 30" in shorts, but 22" is what I cut my sticks at. Im 6'2" but not very athletic.

I’m 6’1” and use full length heliums. I think the steps are 14” apart and each stick has an aider so I usually space the bottom of the aider about 18-20” above the top of the top step of the lower stick.

All depends on you, how comfortable you are climbing and flexibility. Many years ago I used lone wolf full length sticks with the middle step removed and had no issue stepping that full stick distance.

Now some days that 22” is a stretch.

I’m 6’. I have Hawk 20s with 2 step aiders at 20 inch per step. That’s 60” (5ft) per stick plus spacing in between. I can get over 20’.

I'm 5' 7" and I use 4 home made sticks with 21" step spacing and an aider that gets my foot 21" below the bottom step. I set my sticks so that the top step is at forehead height. With my aider looped on my stick my foot is about 24" above the step below. All together I get a little better than 20'.

Considering getting some new sticks. Im 5'10" I currently have 4 cut LWs with 18" step spacing. I also use a CAYG aider. With this I can get 20' or better no problem. Im looking at Beast Sticks and not sure which size to get Dan says in a video hold your foot to a wall 24" seems like alot but climbing its nothing. I wouldnt mind shedding the aider if I can but I dont want to fight a huge step spacing either.
I am 5 11 and use the beast sticks. I think they are 24 inch sticks but the spacing is 22 inches. I'm 50 years old and in decent shape (not athlete / not a slob). I can do it but in winter it does get hard...but still doable.

I think your inseam has more to do with how far you can stretch than how tall you are. Some of us have a long torso and short legs and as you age it will get harder. Shorter spacing between steps is appreciated more each year.

I stand on the bottom step with one foot and with my second foot on the second step and set the second stick just above my knee. Basically using my non support leg ( foot to knee) as a measuring stick for placing the second stick..

I stand on the bottom step with one foot and with my second foot on the second step and set the second stick just above my knee. Basically using my non support leg ( foot to knee) as a measuring stick for placing the second stick..

+1
This exactly.

Back