• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Zombie deer

Out of the literally thousands of deer that I have seen, I have never seen a deer with visual signs of CWD. I am not scientist, but as somebody who has spent their entire life outdoors, I do not believe killing/culling deer in the CWD zones is tha answer. If prions are the contagion, as they claim, culling will only spread the disease, as uninfected deer move into the CWD positive areas to replace the deer that have been removed. Not to mention, the bait piles put in place by the MDC (pick your own state's poison pill) will attract deer from other areas, further spreading the contamination. I am not sure of the solution, but I know killing off the herd, ain't it. As for now, I will carry on eating deer meat over some antibiotic, steroid-filled piece of meat that I have no idea what kind of animal it actually came from (ground "beef"), how healthy the animal was before it died or who handled it and sprayed it with what.

I didn’t post this to cause another CWD debate between hunters, that’s been going on for years. The concern, if any, is the reaction of the non hunting voting public that will not research this topic further than this Fox News articles or similar.

This article casts a much broader net and much more politicized angle on a topic that to this point has mainly been debated by hunters and wildlife agencies. The majority of non hunters know nothing about CWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_O Ontario. This post wasn't meant to insult you, or trip your trigger. Or give you a platorm to insult my intelligence or lack thereof, concerning animal husbandry. (I've been around farms and farm animals all of my life). I am sure you are/were an upstanding hog farmer who would never feed his hogs medicated feed, etc. So, the statement does not concern you or your particular operation. The statement was about mass produced meat, that most people end up consuming. Like most statements, it wasn't meant to be all-inclusive. Simply put I (ME) have no idea how anybody handles the meat they sell or what it is. (Aldi's admitted to selling ground horse meat as ground beef a couple of yrs ago). How many packages of burger have people bought that is nice and red on the outside, but gray and nasty on the inside? Does anybody really know what is in that stuff they sell as "Jimmy Dean' sausage? Because it sure don't look like any sausage from hogs I ever raised. They just recently had another major recall on chicken nuggets. I won't fully rely on the government for anything. Especially concerning my health. They "let us" eat hotdogs and bologna afterall. You are correct that people should worry more about the bacteria on poorly handled venison (I will add, or ecoli on processed farm animals) than about CWD. I agree, thats why I don't take my deer to a processor. I process my deer from start to finish. I care for it like I am eating it myself, because I am. So it ends up being some of the finest meat I will ever be able to feed my family. I don't normally reply to negative responses to things I post, but I hate to see you getting all worked up over something that never was directed at you personally, to begin with. Good hunting and peace to you and yours.:)

I posted this on the other cwd thread on here but I'll post again. A buddy of mine had a deer farm and 1 of his bucks tested positive for cwd. It was a cull buck and that buck had access to every other deer at forgotten times through its life. The state mandated that he kill his entire herd and get them tested. No other deer tested positive. I realize why they made him do it but I think more could have been learned about the spread of the disease by studying his herd. I think there are more questions than answers at this point.

Irregardless, I will be testing all of my deer I shoot in the future. I have only shot 1 deer since 2012 as I try to restrict myself to a 3 year old or better buck. That 1 i didn't test as cwd was not any where near where I hunt. It is now 2 counties away. I think it is state wide and nation wide. I'm sure it is a natural anomaly that some deer are born with just like humans are predisposed to getting CJD (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease). I'm also certain it can be spread from deer to deer. I do believe lower deer populations will be less prone to spreading it but I think it is impossible to kill off every deer like the State of WI originally tried to do in the original CWD zone.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

In Va CWD was first recognized in the deer herd back in 2009. I have never seen it.

I have seen deer with hemorrhagic fever. We had a fellow kill a nice buck that we were sure had hemorrhagic fever. When the skinnned the deer, it smelled awful. There was white lesions on the muscles. We had to talk this old timer out of taking the meat home. Lol. The VDGIF said the meat was safe for human consumption.

To me this could be a really big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, this is huge not just for CWD but, Alzheimer's also.

To anyone that hasn't watched the video above, you need to. A quick summary is that the cause of CWD has been determined to be a previously undiscovered type of bacteria and not prions. (Prions are a by product of the bacteria). This means there can be a cure/vaccination developed, as well as field test kits to check your deer. They also believe that up to 15% of Alzheimer's cases, as well as other human diseases are from the same bacteria and can possibly be cured in the future.

Edit: Apparently this information has been around for a while but, not everyone agrees with it. This article was published in Dec. 2017: https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/article_fa256ae6-d5f2-11e7-a3be-e7d4e11261c1.html

I am curious now why other researchers haven't recognized LSU's findings? I haven't followed CWD closely because it's not in my area but, these findings and the fact they at least appear to not be recognized by others intrigue me.

So, I will edit my initial response above :)
I agree, if true this is huge not just for CWD but, Alzheimer's also.

Last edited:
I also emailed my department of wildlife and got a reply to email the wildlife biologist. I just sent him an email to ask about whether or not they are following Dr. Bastain's research or not.

So I have not fully investigated to my satisfaction yet, but things I have come across so far indicate that no one has been able to replicate his results.

It would be great if it were a bacteria and there were potential to develop antibiotics and/or vaccines. However, I'm not hanging a hat on this as of now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If it would be caused by proteins, I would think it would jump into the predator populations as well when they would eat infected deer. (I was reading that it could also spread to Lions and tigers). After all, wolves only eat the sick and weaker deer

I think both hypothesis need to be explored further and Dr. Bastain's research should be funded as well. After all, science use to be believe that the Earth was flat and the sun revolved around the Earth. Science is based on hypothesis and testing. Sometimes the original hypothesis is wrong and scientists shun all other efforts to disprove it. There has been much more money pushed into the prion theory and therefore there is more data supporting it but isolating the bacteria from the prion has been difficult. So far only Bastain has been able to do it and it took some effort and time for him to do it.

http://tseresearchcenter.org

Last edited:
Y'all can't wish CWD away, and a lot of this sounds like optimism/denial-driven belief.

https://nationaldeeralliance.com/editorial/nda-urges-caution-when-considering-cwd-research-claims

Scrapie/bse/tse/etc. haven't been studied enough, but have a good body of work behind them still, including things like synthesizing prions, using enzymes to destroy rna/dna in infectious samples to kill viruses/bacteria (and still maintaining infectiousness) then adding enzymes to neutralize proteins and decreasing infection as proteins denature)

There's compelling evidence that this guy's work isn't reproducible. The best hope would be if some bacterial activity drove higher susceptibility to prion infection, but prions are a compelling smoking gun - and one that was originally discovered specifically from testing/disproving the hypothesis that a bacteria or virus was responsible for infections.

If the prion theory is correct, CWD will be nationwide based on the fact that coyotes are capable of spreading it through their feces. Most likely other predators too. Just curious if the disease can jump to and infect the predator. Maybe this is how the world ends (sarcasm)!!!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4964857/

Back