• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpack suggestions....

You are full of great ideas @g2outdoors! There are definitely some options out there. I did end up ordering one of the Crua hybrid tent/hammocks to try. Pretty sure I can pack it differently than the way it comes and save a lot of room. I really liked that it can be used either way and has everything rolled into one purchase. If it doesn't work out I'll simply send it back I got it for $269 shipped so I figured it was worth a shot. I will post a full review on it when it shows up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still can't do the hammock thing. Tried one out briefly the other weekend and it's just not for me. Looks like you can use that thing as a bivy too? Ever slept in a bivy? They don't bother me that much, but not for everyone.

But i did order a mountainsmith shelter LT from a guy off of rokslide for less than $100. Looks pretty friggin' awesome and I can't wait to give it a try.

Still can't do the hammock thing. Tried one out briefly the other weekend and it's just not for me. Looks like you can use that thing as a bivy too? Ever slept in a bivy? They don't bother me that much, but not for everyone.

But i did order a mountainsmith shelter LT from a guy off of rokslide for less than $100. Looks pretty friggin' awesome and I can't wait to give it a try.

It's been years since I've tried it but figured it was worth a shot. Will def let you know what I think of it!

IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2715.JPG IMG_2712.JPG

Built a pvc backpack frame for my tenzig sp14.
I wanted frame to fit my pack and carry my crossbow and sticks without bouncing around making a lot of noise. I'm going to try this out. My prototype was three-quarter inch pipe and it was too heavy so I tried half-inch PVC pipe.The frame is about 2 pounds I think it may be easier carrying everything on my back and nothing in my hands despite the extra weight. I will give it a try.
I attached Stick Talons to the pvc frame but first I heated the pipe and flattened to accommodate the stick talons.
This may be too much weight for some of our minimalists but for a couple of pounds I want to carry the weight where it will not bother me.
When I want a pack for a whole day sit this is what I want to use

Last edited:
Cool idea. Let us know what you think once you've used it. What about noise. Did you fill it with spray foam?

Spray foam is a consideration but heavier than you think .I may put stealth tape on parts of it. I have not fully tested it for noise.

So I just got back from my first backpacking adventure into a huge wilderness area here in my state. I took my KUIU Icon Pro 3200 and my tent setup was a TarpTent Motrail which I am REALLY liking! I had ordered that Crua Hybrid and after several delays on my order and hearing that it was actually double the project weight I cancelled my order. My new tent is exactly 2lbs and big enough for two which is nice! I am definitely hooked on backpacking now!! I will post some pics in another post later today!

So I just got back from my first backpacking adventure into a huge wilderness area here in my state. I took my KUIU Icon Pro 3200 and my tent setup was a TarpTent Motrail which I am REALLY liking! I had ordered that Crua Hybrid and after several delays on my order and hearing that it was actually double the project weight I cancelled my order. My new tent is exactly 2lbs and big enough for two which is nice! I am definitely hooked on backpacking now!! I will post some pics in another post later today!
How are you liking the tarptent? I have a Kifaru pack and really like it. I also want an Exo pack haha!!

Back