• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use the saddle with a trad bow?

DanielB89

I am heavily considering getting one, I just want some input on how it will function with my bow where the OAL is from 56-64".

Pics would be great as well!

I just started this season....I have fallen in love with archery all over again!! I am going to have to get a shorter bow next year though. My current bow is 60" and so far I don't have as much flexibility in shooting or at least I have not gotten the hang of wrapping 5' of bow around the tree the correct way yet! :laughing:

First sit today in the Kestrel. I shoot a 54" longbow. No problem from the platform standing of course. Unsure about a quick one in the sit back saddle position. I really wanted to get the saddle out and haven't practiced that.

Last edited:
I hunt with a longbow, 64”. I feel very comfortable with it in a saddle. The steep angle shots seem to be easier than out of a hang on. The biggest issue is overhanging limbs and nearby branch ends.

what about shooting back over the strap you're suspended from? Is that challenging? I can see where shoting to one side would be very easy, but shooting back over seems like it would take a lot of getting used to.

It is all I've ever hunted with. 60" recurve. All my gun hunting "if any more" has been on the ground. It did take me ALOT of summer practicing with flu flu's and golf balls years ago to get the hang of canting my bow while facing the tree, but I can honestly say now I can shoot SO many more directions and angles while saddle type hunting than I ever could with the hang on's. Not to mention more comfortable and longer sits with the treesuit, then saddle, and now the Anderson and kestral.

what about shooting back over the strap you're suspended from? Is that challenging? I can see where shoting to one side would be very easy, but shooting back over seems like it would take a lot of getting used to.

You don’t have to shoot over the bridge. You just turn your body and swing around. I’ve never even tried shooting over my bridge.

so you just swing around the tree to the other side?

Possibly have a video of you using yours?

I’m going to put videos together this offseason. You walk around the tree to the right, and turn your body to your left. Said another way, plant your right hip into the tree and turn all the way left.

I'm gonna try to take my longbow for its first saddle hunt tomorrow. I've had a few longbows over the last few years and really love shooting them I've just a) not felt quite ready to hunt with them once the season comes or b) felt like I needed to get a deer in the freezer prior to using the longbow. I've got twin boys coming in 0 to three weeks so my wife said something like, "don't jack around this year and just shoot a deer:)". I think one mistake I made in the past was buying bows that had me over bowed. This past year a guy in town that used to shoot competitively told me to get rid of the bows I had and get a 40# bow. I think it has made a big difference and my shooting has been a lot more consistent. I usually hunt some pretty thick cover so most of my shooting is ~20 yards anyways, but I'm still a little worried about the fever kicking in and making a bad shot.

Most of my hunting life. See you in February if you make it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the length of your bow matters way less in a saddle especially on the more vertical shots.

The biggest thing is practicing from your setup. Unlike a compound, it’s hard to know when you have full draw and easy to collapse in a saddle. At least that is what I struggle with and practice at home.

I think the length of your bow matters way less in a saddle especially on the more vertical shots.

The biggest thing is practicing from your setup. Unlike a compound, it’s hard to know when you have full draw and easy to collapse in a saddle. At least that is what I struggle with and practice at home.

Yeah, for sure! I struggle with that on flat ground as well! lol.

I hunt with a 60"-62" longbow. The saddle is much easier for me than a stand and hiding behind the tree let's you get closer without the deer busting you! Your biggest problem is going to be branches. I like to hunt trees with branches to hide me. I am right handed and typically have branches to my right. I do not plan to spin around or shoot to my right. I can shoot behind and get about 270 degrees of shooting area.

Just be sure to practice. I usually climb up and shoot at different leaves in different directions and distances. Cheap free targets are the best and it helps you identify your shooting lanes and if you need to trim a limb!

62" Border Covert Hunter with Hex 7.5h limbs or 60" Morrison 15" riser with long max5 limbs. Both bows around 51 lbs at 28".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back