• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grappling hook ideas. DIY or off the shelf

I picked up one of the beast 3 fingered hookers when they came out, works pretty well but I haven't needed it much. Was thinking about selling it but I'm switching to one stick this year and can see it saving the day at least once a season. Was thinking I could attach it to the loop on the bottom of my rapel rope when needed.

Fair enough, I have Doyle's inside my packs. I hook that to my gun or crossbow, then I tie a pull up rope to my pack. I have dropped a glove once.
I rereading and u asked about fishing it up everytime and then I started in.....I'm not advocating fishing stuff up. I got a doyel I use also for pulling up my bow. I have the grapple for emergency or if u need to tie limbs back outta the way etc...

I don't understand the logic of fishing for ur stuff each hunt either

I rereading and u asked about fishing it up everytime and then I started in.....I'm not advocating fishing stuff up. I got a doyel I use also for pulling up my bow. I have the grapple for emergency or if u need to tie limbs back outta the way etc...

Yeah. I understand the emergency completely! Everytime, or even once, if that was the intention before I left the ground, makes no sense to me.

I am asking seriously, why? I am always looking for better ways. What am I missing?
From what I have seen, a couple of ways to get the bow up the tree:
1. Retractable hoist (Doyle’s, dog leash)
2. Rope/webbing (paracord)
3. Strap to backpack
4. Fish it up with a hook (apparently this is a thing?!)

I use paracord. One end tied on and permanently attached to the webbing on the outside of my saddle, other end attached to the bow on the ground night with a flexible rubber coated wire. Ascend tree, pull up bow, stuff Paracord into dump pouch.

How much stuff are you guys dropping that a hook device is needed? Do you really use it that often? Asking as a true question. (I dropped a couple of hand warmers during the season last year, that’s about all I can think of.)
I drop more stuff when I don't have a hook to retrieve it with. With a hook, dang near nothing.

My hook is a very large (I think Size 0) Eagle Claw treble hook. I filed off the barbs and rounded over the points. The eye is large enough to fit over the carabiner from the EWO Dynaglide kit. Next step is to epoxy a decent magnet to it, in case I ever drop an arrow and need to catch my broadhead.

I have a stand pack and bow to go up. Stand on my back during original climb. I might try bringing the bow and pack up together on my retractable but if that sucks I'll have to grapple one or the other to get it up
I 1-stick and climb on my rappel line. I tie my pack to the end of my rappel line and my bow to a dog leash, replaced the leash with Dynaglide from EWO. At the end of the hunt I just drop my pack, lower my bow on my rappel line, and use my Dynaglide leash to pull down my rappel line. If I didn't want to drop my pack I'd wear it down the tree. I guess I could lower my bow on my treble hook but I haven't seen a need for that. Besides, I like to swing it a few yards away from the trunk so I'm less likely to drop anything on it.

I am asking seriously, why? I am always looking for better ways. What am I missing?

It prevents the possibility of wrapping the rope on - sticks, limbs, vines, moss, etc. I can climb the tree in the easiest manner - topside lean, around limbs, wrapping the tree, etc. My bow is dropped in a clear spot to the stand & I fish it up. Because of this I use a gear reel not a retractable. I switch years ago after a couple hang ups.

I've been using a glow in the dark weighted squid jig for years. Then I glue a magnet to the center to pick metal items/phone

5pcs Luminous Squid Jig Hooks 12 Stainless Steel Needles Fluorescent Fishing Cuttlefish Sleeve Squid Jig Baits Night Fishing Fresh/Saltwater Lures Baits https://a.co/d/iOFJXMN
f3cb3d85152cad2f5b07f2b6c4926746.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I dont understand the confusion. Stand goes on my back retractable hooks to bow or pack I go up...fish up the last item. I may be able to hook the bow and pack together but I have dynaglide in my retractable and Im not sure what kind of PITA its going to be pulling the weight of my bow and pack up at the same time.....so I may have to fish up the last item

I use a snagging hook or gator hook…I may have to give the squid jig a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never occurred to me to carry one until I saw this thread and now I see Tethrd is coming out with one in a couple days so I’ll probably spend $50 on that instead of making my own for 37 cents. Knock on wood I haven’t dropped much. Forgot to attach the paracord to the bow to pull it up once so I guess it would’ve saved an extra trip that day. Couple handwarmers and a can of Copenhagen but I don’t see the hook helping me out there.

I have this, the hooks work fine and it stows easy without exposed hooks. The magnet on it isn’t strong enough to grab anything of substance. I did buy a stack of magnets in the shape of a donut at Home Depot that I’m going to toss in the pack. Take up no room, weight nothing, but could easily retrieve a broadhead or rangefinder (oops) on the end of my pull down rope.

Anybody use the the Booger Treestand Retriever? Seen a review on it on Staggs in the Wild. Looks pretty slick. I was thinking about giving it try. Not sure how much it cost though, probably expensive for what is I'm assuming.

I don't drop stuff that often. I don't like carrying more stuff than I need. When you get to my age Sht happens. I forgot to hook my bow on my pull up rope once!! lol
See, if you just carried a fish hook that would not have been a problemResized_20231014_165314_878.jpegResized_20231014_165337_443.jpeg

Last edited:
Never occurred to me to carry one until I saw this thread and now I see Tethrd is coming out with one in a couple days so I’ll probably spend $50 on that instead of making my own for 37 cents. Knock on wood I haven’t dropped much. Forgot to attach the paracord to the bow to pull it up once so I guess it would’ve saved an extra trip that day. Couple handwarmers and a can of Copenhagen but I don’t see the hook helping me out there.
I bet if you wanted that coppenhagen bad enough, a fish hook might work for you.

Here’s the one I use:
TEC Accessories RETREEV - Mini Grappling Hook Retrieval Tool Tactical Keychain Hook, Keychain for Men and Women, Key Organizer, Keychain Accessories, Compact Cool Keychains, Keychain Holder https://a.co/d/21iLI9V
IMG_1002.png
What I like most is the prongs remove and slide inside the body for easy storage. It also has a magnet at the tip which came in handy retrieving my crossbow crank after I fumble fingered it.

Shout out for EWO. Here is what I carry. I say carry because I have not used it (yet).

Back