• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silent Approach Steps?

Rock solid in my quick test.
4997a21e51121d94d82c19139a91fac8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also got some 4x4x.25 tee channel from online metals and hacked this together.
2df06ee3ee1c167dff44065f4e9e2a74.jpg

Sweet! I’m picturing that step slotted like the top of my steps for grip and weight reduction. And whola!

Sweet! I’m picturing that step slotted like the top of my steps for grip and weight reduction. And whola!

200 grams as shown, definitely can trim some fat off it

I made it 1-1/2"
These look nice. Stealing this to make a set for a platform as well.
I'm sure you know to round ALL sharp edges before you use them. The pressure from the strap will pull the webbing thru the corners like it was a knife blade.

That's the same exact material I use for mine. What did you use to make the slots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I got the idea from you. We will still call it the Denots step.
I started with this
c8b4e9829d272600d3f7d67eaccd5f34.jpg

Then had to finish with this
bf4a2d8d004c751990fcda2b467645a3.jpg

DIY:
Set up in vice
drill holes on each end of slot
Jig saw/ saws all from hole to hole
Dremel smooth or file, sand smooth

I would not recommend the jigsaw. I found it not only to be very difficult but not safe at all. It's very hard to control with not much surface area to set it on. At least that was my experience. The great thing is after cutting the blanks out of T Bar you can really custom make them however you want. I would share a link to the original thread I started about these steps instead of hijacking This Thread but I don't know how.

Absolutely the Denots step!

If you would have told me not that long ago that I would DIY anything I would have probably laughed you out the room. That is a true Testament to how much this site and group of people has made me look at things differently. Thanks y'all!

It's very hard to control with not much surface area to set it on.
Small parts are hard to work with. It is much easier and safer to lay out all of the slots on the full beam and "mill", or drill and cut them first, before cutting it into individual steps.

Small parts are hard to work with. It is much easier and safer to lay out all of the slots on the full beam and "mill", or drill and cut them first, before cutting it into individual steps.

Yes I should have mentioned this
after you drill, jigsaw the slots cut that step from the main t-beam.

Yes that would definitely work better for the double slots, but not the way I made my first one. The only real advantage to the way I drilled my slot for the strap was having the ability to add or remove steps without having to take the entire system off of the tree.

Yes that would definitely work better for the double slots, but not the way I made my first one. The only real advantage to the way I drilled my slot for the strap was having the ability to add or remove steps without having to take the entire system off of the tree.

What is the advantage of taking it off the strap like that? Like removing one from the middle? It seems you could just slip the last one off the end of the strap? Were you planning of carrying the to the tree off the strap them putting them on it there?

What is the advantage of taking it off the strap like that? Like removing one from the middle? It seems you could just slip the last one off the end of the strap? Were you planning of carrying the to the tree off the strap them putting them on it there?

I guess the only Advantage would be if you felt like you needed to add a step after you are already set up you could do it without removing the entire ring of steps from the tree. You could simply loosen the strap and slip a new step onto the strap and slide it in position and retighten everything. Thus eliminating the chance of an accidental slip of the strap out of your hand and dumping all your steps to the ground. I'm probably overthinking the whole thing, and to be honest with you the way you and @sdonx suggested will probably save enough time that it won't be worth making them with the hole drilled through edgewise.

Back