• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1 vs. 2 panel

AustinL911

What's the pros/cons of each? I have a 2019 Kestrel Flex that I used a bit for the 2019 season but wasn't in love with it; didn't use it last year. Thinking about getting it back out and I see there are 2 panel saddles offered now. What's the advantage here? weight? comfort? Is it worth buying one to try out?

Who all makes a 2 panel and what do you guys recommend?

Tried searching but didn't find much, so I figured I'd just ask.

The primary “advantages” of 2 panel saddles over single panels include:

Modularity—position and comfort can be adjusted across a broader scale. Panels can be overlapped, slightly overlapped, slightly separated, or separated far apart.

Comfort—yes comfort gets its own category. Not saying they are all unequivocally more comfortable than single panels because not all two panels are made alike, and some single panel designs are favored for their comfort among their users (e.g., cruzr xc, dryad, etc).
However, one distinct advantage is that some models offer more 2” webbing pieces in the saddle design than single panels. This helps distribute the load more evenly without a material that stretches over time. Nutterbuster and others have discussed this in greater detail.

Smaller footprint—designs like the recon and method 2 are designed to overlay on the walk in for a more streamlined walk through the woods. Essentially, this reduces sagging or floppy material hanging off your waist. Only an advantage really for those who prefer to wear their saddles in (vs packing them in).

Now, for the disadvantages:

These vary based on model/design as each saddle may have its own quirks.

Fiddly—the trade off with extra adjustability is the extra time and effort to situate the panels in a preferred position. For the most part, you just sit in single panels. 2 panel saddles requires moving each panel around. For the recon (which I love, despite its “quirks”), it can be fiddly for a few seconds separating the two panels or getting them back to a perfectly overlapped position...really not a big deal, but perhaps worth mentioning. The method 2 reduces the hassle through their design and use of a magnet system.

May not suit all climbing methods—some may prefer single panels for certain climbing methods but I use sticks, steps, and bolts so it’s a non issue for me and my two-panel. Some guys love 2 panels for one sticking and others prefer pleated single panels. SRT or DRT folks seem to prefer pleated singles also (in general).

For the record, I started with an aerohunter kite; I now hunt with a Treehopper recon. It is more fiddly at first but the trade offs are worth it. I can move both panels under my butt and gain extra mobility/bow clearance or I can raise the top panel up for back support. To me, the recon is noticeably more comfy, although it takes a few extra seconds to find a sweet spot. With the kite, I would be comfy for a short while but it would constantly ride up on me, requiring me to move around a lot and “fiddle” with its position.
I am not even tempted to look back at a single panel. Hope this helps.

Also, some 2-panels can be extra fussy if you like to attach pouches or hang stuff from them. Again, different models behave differently. My recon does not like pouches, but that’s okay...neither do I.

Saddles are extremely personal and what works perfectly for one is a nightmare for another.
In my experience.. I've tried the Tethrd Mantis, ESS, Latitude Method 1 and 2, and the Cruzr XC and Cruzr Archon. I've sold or sent back every two panel I've tried.
The Anderson style like the ESS and Recon are the most comfortable style you can buy imo. Once you get them positioned right their comfort is something else. Problem with these is the immense fiddle factor. Maybe someone could put up with it fine, but I hunt every single day except Sundays from the opener till I'm successful. This fiddle gets old fast. The saddle constantly falling down walking, always annoying to change the positioning of the straps for leaning and sitting. It's not worth the comfort. In the case of the ESS you sound like a windchime with all the metal involved.
Next is how agitating doubles are to use with handmuffs and changing clothes. These problems are inherent to all saddles, but the double style for sure emphasizes them.
The latitude 1 and 2 infinitely lower the fiddle factor compared to the anderson style. But no matter what I tried, I found both if them brutally uncomfortable. Especially sitting, which I do the majority of the time.
Single panels have next to no fiddle, but the comfort can vary wildly. The Mantis rode up after a while and you'd have to keep adjusting it. The Cruzr XC sets the standard as far as saddles go. There's no fiddle. It doesn't ride up. It's crazy comfortable. You can open the plead downwards to turn it into a hammock for sitting. Or bring it up more for lower back support.

Last edited:
I have never felt the need for a 2 panel saddle. I don’t doubt that it works for some guys but my kestrel and kite work just fine. It all comes down to personal preference. If you stay in the saddle game long enough you’ll find one you like.

The thing about post like this is there are no right or wrong opinions, bigmike23 makes a lot of valid points for his style of hunting. I on the other hand am not a hardcore hunter due to work and family restrictions so for me going after work for 2-4 hours or the occasional day off and babysitter availability , i look for different features in a saddle. This is my first year and ive tried several saddles and found i like the 2 panel method 2. Its small footprint is ideal for walking in the woods where as the cruzr was like wearing a diaper that was full. I find the comfort level of the method 2 great so far but admittedly my longest time is 2 hours. Coming from stand hunting im not sure i could sit in any saddle for 6+ hours without pain somewhere. But as previously stated everyone is different and what i like you may hate...good luck

What's the pros/cons of each? I have a 2019 Kestrel Flex that I used a bit for the 2019 season but wasn't in love with it; didn't use it last year. Thinking about getting it back out and I see there are 2 panel saddles offered now. What's the advantage here? weight? comfort? Is it worth buying one to try out?

I have a Kestrel flex also. Liked more than the Mantis and Phantom. Then tried the Cruzr Archon. It’s all preference but the Archon is very comfortable. 2 panels give you a lot more versatility for adjustment. I’m 6’3 and 245lbs. Good luck!

The thing about post like this is there are no right or wrong opinions, bigmike23 makes a lot of valid points for his style of hunting. I on the other hand am not a hardcore hunter due to work and family restrictions so for me going after work for 2-4 hours or the occasional day off and babysitter availability , i look for different features in a saddle. This is my first year and ive tried several saddles and found i like the 2 panel method 2. Its small footprint is ideal for walking in the woods where as the cruzr was like wearing a diaper that was full. I find the comfort level of the method 2 great so far but admittedly my longest time is 2 hours. Coming from stand hunting im not sure i could sit in any saddle for 6+ hours without pain somewhere. But as previously stated everyone is different and what i like you may hate...good luck

I tried my son's Recon, and if that were the only choice, I wouldn't saddle hunt. It sucks to walk with in addition to the constant fiddling, no thanks. I ordered a Cruzr XC, and so far I love it! As far as the diaper feeling when walking, I would have agreed with you at first. Then I quit putting on the leg straps. I just buckle them on the outside of my legs, and I honestly don't even notice the saddle on the way in. I've climbed both with and without the leg straps buckled on me and really can't say it makes a difference. Most guys seem to leave the leg straps off on the two panel saddles, so I don't know that they are all that necessary on the Cruzr either.

I haven't done any long sits yet, but as comfortable as the XC feels, it has to be better than any lock on stand I've used and WAY better than a ladder stand in terms of comfort.

I think a 2 panel gives you more options to really dial it in for your preferences. A single panel will usually work well on guys that prefer to lean and can keep it under their butt. For some body types the single panel will ride up constantly. Those guys would likely benefit from a two panel saddle. I’ve noticed that skinnier guys with bigger butts seem to do well with single panels but it’s not scientific lol

Granted, this is my first year saddle hunting but have tried the Merlin, Menace and Method 2. The Merlin felt the most sturdy and secure, I also liked the webbing bridge. However, it was also the heaviest and had a hard time finding the best spot.

The Menace is actually a very comfortable saddle when sitting or leaning but it feels cheap. I'm not a fan of the bridge and while it has potential and is more comfortable compared to the Merlin, it left many things lacking.

My current saddle is the Method 2. I'm not a fan of the rope belt and the decision is still out on the bridge. However, I do like the 2 panel setup. Right or wrong, I wear the upper panel like a kidney belt and the lower panel like a bosen's chair. It sits very well and pulling the lower panel up slightly, it leans well.

I had a Cruzr XC and really like it. I ordered a Cruzr Archon just to see if I was missing something with a 2 panel. It was comfortable and all but I felt it was the same comfort as the XC with a lot more fiddle factor. Sold it and kept the XC. Side note I also just buckle the leg straps behind me as I walk in and put them around my legs at the bottom of the tree. I dont even notice the saddle on the way in.

Back