• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

10/28 rut spots

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Did some last minute scouting in a park I just started hunting last year and am still learning. I picked out 3 trees to hunt. Here is a sketchup (I'm not in 1st grade I swear!) of 2 of the spots because they are pretty close together. The spot next to the creek I went to because on the aerial map it looked like it might be a good pinch point between the creek and the marsh. There is thick bedding all around this place so I thought it would be a good spot for the bucks to cruise through. The other spot I found as I came in from the bottom (which is north, I'm drawing it as I enter it, don't ask me why i did that). I saw the first monster rub and then as I came up to the marsh I realized it was 2 nice openings with runways coming together and I found another monster rub off to the side.

Saturday it is supposed to be in the mid 40s with rain and even a chance of some snow showers with N winds at 15 mph. I plan to hunt the spot where the 2 openings meet hoping to catch a big one in the thick stuff in that weather. I'm going to save the funnel for when I see a good amount of cruising going on.

I will put a sketch together for the other spot when I have a chance. It has more monster rubs and I have an idea of the buck who is making them. He comes out of the area where I think he is bedding and hugs the safety zone off a maintenance shed and then some houses, stays in the area you can't hunt until he gets a good distance away and its probably dark. He had rubs all through this one section last year and I found his rub line leading out of the bedding area. I was not able to get into either of the 2 trees that I really wanted to, but I was able to find 1 tree just off the edge of the safety zones where it looks like he probably cuts though.

Attachments

• rut locations.jpg
    rut locations.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 549

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626467.075745.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626467.075745.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 546
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626481.656321.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626481.656321.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 546
And here's the bear I came face to face with in the swamp!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626528.178308.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414626528.178308.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 543
We've got a lot of reports of rut action in Michigan right now - i'd say it's on.

Been a super slow season for me. Sign has been almost nil at almost all of my hunting properties, totaling about 100 acres of private property. I just wasn't able to get out and do the post-season scouting like I wanted to this year. We have a 6,600 public game area about 30 minutes from me. I've been staking out places there on google earth. Going to have to put in some grunt work post-season this year to see if I can't get after a big boy.

The rubs look good though. Heck... those trees look big enough to hunt to me :D

d_rek said:
The rubs look good though. Heck... those trees look big enough to hunt to me :D
:lol:

Definitely get out there on that big property! I enjoy big public properties like that because it gives me a chance to get away from the crowds, more opportunities to find good spots than small properties, and I just enjoy the challenge of public land. It really feels good when you take a mature deer in a place like that :cool:

Back