• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1st Evo Hunt... learned a lot

wannabe

I've practiced a lot with the evo setting it up and shooting from it but yesterday was the season opener here in NC so I went out more or less as a warm up for the opener at my lease in SC next Friday.

the tree i chose was way too big, probably 18 inches in diameter but the location made me go for it.

I was pretty uncomfortable with my feet being so far apart, I was using screw in steps as a platform.

I also kept sliding down in the saddle til my meat and 2 veg were pinching in the thigh straps. I was only able to stay in the tree about 2 hours.

After i got down i did a ground level setup in the yard to figure out what was wrong for me...

first off the tree was just too big.. choose smaller trees, Im thinking that 12 inch diameter is about the max. Also my tree strap was a bit too high I think, it was as high as i could reach standing on the platform. a little closer to top of the head height is more comfy.

I also found that my butt straps were too long on the EVO and was allowing me to slide down in the saddle as I moved around.

It was certainly worth my time to find out my setup wasn't where it needed to be and getting the adjustments made.

This saddle hunting is a very personal journey from what I'm learning. You've just gotta find what works for you. maybe this will help some other new saddle enthusiasts..

I walked up to my location (was hunting on my own land) at about 5:45- I was about 15 yards into the woods and a deer started blowing at me and blew all the way a cross the ridge, probably 150 yards up the hill.. dangit... didn't see anything else but I figured I was done after all the blowing.

after I got down and had my ground level setup, a doe and fawn crossed down below the house... hows that for luck lol, wouldn't have shot at her anyway.

It was fun and I learned a lot...

As you get your comfort figured out, really dial in a system so you know where everything is and keep things attached to you or your pack as much as you can.

Otherwise you end up in frustrating situations and you can't focus on HUNTING. Ruins your fun

You'll get there. Once you figure it out, you'll never look back. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

It takes some time and tweaking to figure out what works for you. Sounds like you are well on your way. After several hunts you will be much more comfortable!

Back