• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2TC and Gear Downsizing

BowhunterXC

Feb 14, 2021
N.W. Ohio
I've tried several methods of climbing over this past year of hunting out of a tree saddle. I ended up with the 2 Tether Climbing method and it has worked out great, for me. :)
During this process, I've added/modified a few things to make my total carry weight of my gear, lighter. Currently at 14#, I'm very comfortable sitting, climbing and rappelling with this system. :cool:
The weather here isn't allowing me to get out and take new photos of my current modifications. The only thing that I've changed/modified is switching to a 2" wide strap on the bottom tether, instead of a rope. I added another Quick Link to the bottom tether, as this eliminated the use of a figure eight knot and the hook up time. Also, I switched to Canyon Elite for a rappel rope, instead of the previous rope which was twisting, stiff and not as easy to pack.
I purchased a smaller backpack for my platform and other "stuff" like a hunting knife, bottle of water, limb saw, etc.
TC1.jpg
Cruzr XC 3.jpg
Here's the latest photo, taken today. :cool:
TC-1.jpg

Last edited:

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Don’t know why, I hadn’t thought of using a Ropeman on the foot tether. That’s nifty for quick and perfect height adjustment.

I’d love to see a pic of your 2” strap on the bottom tether, when you have a chance.

Reactions: BowhunterXC

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
It is about as minimalist as you can get. Especially with just a simple tether setup. Add a gear strap, a pull up rope and a bow and that's it.

For me it is easier, faster, and a whole lot lighter to use than sticks.

Attachments

• 2TC canyon 1.jpg
    2TC canyon 1.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 65

tmhaz1

Feb 4, 2021
I plan on trying 2TC very soon, what kind of knot is that on your top tether that the Delta Link is attached to? I plan on rappelling as well so just picked up 45' of rope
Thanks

BowhunterXC

Feb 14, 2021
N.W. Ohio
Don’t know why, I hadn’t thought of using a Ropeman on the foot tether. That’s nifty for quick and perfect height adjustment.

I’d love to see a pic of your 2” strap on the bottom tether, when you have a chance.
Here ya go...
It's just a safety tree harness off of an old harness that I wasn't using, but saved it in case I needed it another day. Well, today was the day. :)
TC-1.jpg

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Here ya go...
It's just a safety tree harness off of an old harness that I wasn't using, but saved it in case I needed it another day. Well, today was the day. :)
View attachment 64807
Cool, thanks. How do you keep the foot tether from sliding down the tree when unloaded? Do you always keep your foot in the tether? I run into that problem whenever I leave a quick link tether connection unloaded and unattended unless I use a rubber fender washer.

BTW sorry if you’ve already gone over this in the Redbeard 2TC thread. I tried to keep up but the page count is getting to be a regular phone book over there.

BowhunterXC

Feb 14, 2021
N.W. Ohio
Cool, thanks. How do you keep the foot tether from sliding down the tree when unloaded? Do you always keep your foot in the tether? I run into that problem whenever I leave a quick link tether connection unloaded and unattended unless I use a rubber fender washer.

BTW sorry if you’ve already gone over this in the Redbeard 2TC thread. I tried to keep up but the page count is getting to be a regular phone book over there.
I'm still in the "test driving" stage of using these Quick Links, but if I run into issues, I'll use a rubber fender washer or something similar and be happy with it. :)

Reactions: Hall17

Hall17

Jan 27, 2021
Pennsylvania

I use a figure 8 knot but then again I don’t climb with my rappel rope. If I did I would use a washer like @BowhunterXC said

krub6b

SH Member
Sep 5, 2019
Missouri

I keep a 2nd friction hitch on my foot tether and use it to keep the quick link tight to the tree, and then if I have to go around a limb I can clip in to this friction hitch while moving my top tether around the limb

Marmuzz

Feb 22, 2021
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
I keep a 2nd friction hitch on my foot tether and use it to keep the quick link tight to the tree, and then if I have to go around a limb I can clip in to this friction hitch while moving my top tether around the limb
Brilliant. I knew I read something about that in the other thread. That makes total sense.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
I plan on trying 2TC very soon, what kind of knot is that on your top tether that the Delta Link is attached to? I plan on rappelling as well so just picked up 45' of rope
Thanks
I use a scaffold knot. There is a specific way to tie it. Tying it wrong can be dangerous. Here is a video. (244) ONE STICK CLIMBING - How to Tie the SCAFFOLD KNOT CORRECTLY avoiding potential injury! - YouTube

(244) Don't Kill Yourself Climbing The Potentially Lethal Scaffold Knot - YouTube

Samcirrus

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Apr 14, 2020

You can also try this..... https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/why-dont-yall-2tc.37159/post-618764

Reactions: BTaylor

tailgunner

Feb 22, 2021
western Oregon blacktailwoods

Screenshot_20220303-133734_Gallery.jpg