• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Accessing bow while climbing

Hawk

Alright guys I figure if anyone would know how to do this it would be this group of DIYers. I was wondering if anyone has a way they attach their bow to them while ascending/descending the tree. I have always used a pull up rope but was hoping there was a way to attach my bow to me while I climb in the event a deer catches me off guard while climbing and I need quick access to my bow. Hunting out of a saddle I think would allow one to still shoot at a deer even with just the lineman's belt as long as you had stable footing. IMO this is another advantage of a saddle over a traditional hunting stand with only a safety line or stand on your back. So am I crazy here or can this be done? I realize the likelihood of needing this isn't all that great but it only has to happen once to make me wish I'd tried figuring it out before it happens.

Last season I used a Nite Ize gear tie loop through some diy molle loops on my Sit-Drag to carry my bow up with me. I mainly did this because most of the trees that I climbed had several limbs below my setup, and I didn't want to bang my bow on them as I fished it up and down the tree.

The only issue I had occurred when I was descending the tree. Like DIY Sportsman, I skip using my movable aider on my bottom stick and just jump down the last 5 or so feet. Because the bow was hanging from my hip, the bottom cam came close to hitting the ground a few times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I remember a year or two back seeing on instagram a bow hoder that attached to your pack, it was a small puck shaped thing and allowed for easy access. Did some googling but can't find it. Seems that would work well. You have a valid point but I think I will stick with my regular pull up rope.

For probably 25 years I tied my bow (compound & recurve) to a parachute cord on my belt (left side) before climbing. Never had any negative issues using any of my climbing methods, but finally started using a 30' length of parachute cord to haul it up after getting set up. I have a special way of wrapping the cord that ensures that it never gets tangled. I do still have the cord on my belt but now use it for tying extra clothes, or other items, on my side and have used it to tie limbs and vines out of the way. It's a handy item to have available. With that said, I wouldn't have a problem going back to my old method of just tying it on and climbing with it.

I remember a year or two back seeing on instagram a bow hoder that attached to your pack, it was a small puck shaped thing and allowed for easy access. Did some googling but can't find it. Seems that would work well. You have a valid point but I think I will stick with my regular pull up rope.
Bow Snatcher?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I carry my bow in an old primos bow sling. When walking in l wear my saddle have climber top strapped to backpack then bowsling overhead and left shoulder hangs in front on left side. If it’s daylight and the brush isn’t to bad I nock an arrow and hunt while walking. When I reach the tree and climb I just slide the bow around on my back instead of my front not in the way at all. If you need it just slide it’s cam covers off and it’s ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
My pack is not designed to carry a bow but none the less I just use the compression straps to hold it to my pack. Anytime I try to use a pull up line I would get it tangled and would go to swearing loud enough for everybody in 3 parishes to here. I don't know if it'll help you get to your bow any faster during the climb cuz you'd probably still have to take your pack off to get to it. I can actually reach my straps if I really tried to without taking my pack off but it's not super easy at least not for me. I have some shoulder issues.
ff161cbcfd495b9debd0936f12084103.jpg
3a0cfaa3d70feae57a4276832b088312.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll look into them. I just don't want to get caught not being ready. I had it happen this past year when I was walking back in with my brother to retrieve a buck he shot. I knew better than to leave my bow in the car but I didn't knock an arrow and long story short had a big buck come running across a CRP field towards us (think he lost a doe and thought we might be it) and wasn't able to get an arrow knocked and drawn before he figured out what we were and bolted. Now I try to think of and prevent these possible scenarios if I can because what good does any gear do if we are not ready in the moment to make the shot.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll look into them. I just don't want to get caught not being ready. I had it happen this past year when I was walking back in with my brother to retrieve a buck he shot. I knew better than to leave my bow in the car but I didn't knock an arrow and long story short had a big buck come running across a CRP field towards us (think he lost a doe and thought we might be it) and wasn't able to get an arrow knocked and drawn before he figured out what we were and bolted. Now I try to think of and prevent these possible scenarios if I can because what good does any gear do if we are not ready in the moment to make the shot.
I've never had a shot opportunity while climbing in or out if the stand, but I do ALWAYS have a weapon on me when I'm in the woods during deer season. Also like to have a weapon accessible walking in and out. Have shot several pigs walking into a stand on an evening sit.

Found what I was looking for. Drives me nuts when I can't remember something.

I think this could do the trick for you. Thought it looked cool just never quite enough to buy it.

I might have to get this. There is a belt clip style that I'm sure I could get to work with molle loops.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I might have to get this. There is a belt clip style that I'm sure I could get to work with molle loops.

Bowsnatcher looks cool, it looks like it would be a little noisy, maybe with practice, it would be quiet. I like the belt style but haven't really seen it anywhere. I picked up the primos sling because I like the idea of protecting the bow a little, I have all kinds of branches and stuff get caught in the string and the cams.

Bowsnatcher looks cool, it looks like it would be a little noisy, maybe with practice, it would be quiet. I like the belt style but haven't really seen it anywhere. I picked up the primos sling because I like the idea of protecting the bow a little, I have all kinds of branches and stuff get caught in the string and the cams.

I like the old primos better than the new one. New ones protect better but are harder to get off for shot. I bought one and brought it to Saddlepalooza but never used it tha just covers the cam with a strap in between the covers and a shoulder strap can’t remember the name but am going to try it this year for spot and stalk in the Glades. I’ll send a picture when I get home. It was cheap and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How does the primos sling secure? Velcro, zipper, or ties? I was trying to get something to secure to my pack. I think it would free up my hands more.

How does the primos sling secure? Velcro, zipper, or ties? I was trying to get something to secure to my pack. I think it would free up my hands more.

I'm not sure if there are different versions or not, but mine is elastic and holds the cams that way pretty good, guess that depends on your axel length, but it also has 2 small webbing buckles on each end that you clip over your string, they have neoprene sewn around them so they can pretty easily be very quiet. It has some snaps along the string that I wasn't thrilled about(might have to mess with this at some point for a better DIY option), but it holds well enough without them, as I'm not sure you could undo them quietly.

@redsquirrel has one too maybe he can chime in as well.

Back