• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advantages of the Guidos Web

Preacherman

I've been reading several of the posts on this site recently and noticed that most here are either tree saddle, or aero saddle hunters. While this post is not a knock on those at all (if they work well for you and put you close to deer that's all that matters!), I would like to mention some advantages of the Guidos Web. Since I started using the Guidos Web it has become my one an only choice for deer hunting. So, what are the advantages?

Comfort: The Guidos Web is the most comfortable saddle you can ever imagine sitting in. It's like sitting in a foam-padded, adjustable back and lumbar supported cushioned chair. Once you put your feet on the steps it's almost like being in some type of padded chair with foot rests! Unless you have tried it, you can not begin to imagine just how comfortable and enjoyable it is to hunt out of. Of course that has a natural impact on hunting because if you are comfortable you can stay in the stand longer increasing your odds of seeing deer, you can be still and less fidgeting meaning less opportunity for deer to see your movement, and if you are not constantly thinking about how uncomfortable you are you can keep your mind more focused on hunting and less on discomfort distractions.

Packabilty: For the lack of a better word the Guidos Web packs extremely well. Depending on size, the web weighs from 7-9 pounds and is packed in like a backpack. The shoulder straps you pack it in with are padded and it fits extremely well. On the back of the web there are three compartments for packing stuff, one will hold your tether belt, the other likely a lineman's belt and other various items you may want to carry in the woods. With minimal weight and the added comfort, the Guidos Web packs in very well. I have packed the web in up to a mile with no difficulty or problems at all. Since the web is worn like a backpack, I did have to change from carrying a backpack in with any added gear to wearing a fanny pack.

The Aluminum Fork: Otherwise known as the "whale tail", the aluminum fork is a huge advantage the Guidos Web offers. Below the bottom seat and at the first point of contact with the tree is a 5 inch aluminum fork that makes contact with the tree at all times and keeps you from being the main point of contact with the tree. I have to say that this is a genius design. Again, not to knock any other stands, but if my knees were my main point of contact with the tree or if I had to wear knee pads, that would be a pain in more than one way. Thus, the aluminum fork keeps the hunter away from the tree saving his knees and giving him more maneuverability and rotation. Here is what I mean by that. I wrap my aluminum fork in camouflage duck tape to eliminate any noise. Once I do that my fork then allow me to rotate slightly to one side or the other without making as big of a movement and without any noise. Rotating to the left angle of the fork allows me to look back and to my right with little movement and vice versa. While I have heard complaints about the fork cutting into one's legs while climbing, I personally have not had an issue with this. I think it could be dependent upon the type of steps you are using to climb. For example, sticks that are right on the tree might make one more vertical and force the fork into one's legs some. I use Ameristep Non-Typical Aluminum Rapid Rails and they give me enough of a platform to climb up with that I don't have to be directly vertical which seems to me would be the problem in climbing. Either way, I would endure the minor discomfort while climbing for the huge benefit once you get settled in. On top of that, I have seen several people actually make their aluminum fork adjustable with various modifications to it.

Safety: The Guidos Web was designed first and foremost with safety in mind. The tether belt is rated at 7600 lbs. All harness strapping is rated at 6000 lbs. Guidos's Web has passed industrial strength standards testing and is rated at 300 lbs. The standard webbing used is seat belt webbing, rated at 6,000 lbs. sewn with 92 nylon thread. Guido's Web can withstand weather conditions and physical abuse year after year. Although this is an advantage of every saddle stand, Guidos Web is right at the top with safety. Although some have had issues with the maneuverability and clearance of the tether belt, Guidos has designed a new tether belt this year that eliminates some of those problems. From experience, I have had no issues with maneuverability/shoot-ability. For bow hunting (I do it all the time) just simply cross the straps on the bridge from left to right and you gain a lot more clearance.

Back Support and Lumbar Adjustments: The Back Support of the Guido's Web is another huge advantage. The back of the Guidos web is a slightly hard foam padded piece of plastic. I have always had a little back trouble, and can say that the adjustments for both back and lumbar support on the Guidos web are amazing. With adjustments on both sides one can simply tighten or loosen the straps for more support in both the lower and upper back. You can let the straps out and lean it back to the desired point or tighten them up and sit up straighter. The upper and lower back stay comfortable at all times as well as the legs that are sitting on a 2 inch foam pad.

Ability to Hunt 360 Degrees: Guidos Web, like any saddle, is designed to hunt 360 degrees with little movement. The New tether belt system makes this easier to do as you simply stand and ease the strap around when you see deer. For the platform for my feet (after trying several options--even a few homemade ones) I have settled on what I believe is the lightest, quietest and easiest--cranford eze steps. Unlike other steps, these are extremely easy to start in the hardest hardwood trees. Again, speaking from experience with different platforms, this is what is easiest for me to do quietly, with less sweat and less weight to carry in. I use three cranford foldable eze steps on the top platform. When I reach the top rung on my Rapid Rails I then put two steps at knee height on each side of the tree and one in line with those right in front of me. This gives me the maneuverability I need to shoot and move 360 degrees.

Are there any disadvantages to the Guidos web that I am still working the kinks out of? Sure, and here they are:

First, the carabiners and buckles can be noisy if you are not careful. That noise for me is only a problem when climbing. I think the solution for me is to use a lineman's belt to install rails with and climb with. Then once up the tree install the tether belt.

The only other problem for me is climbing in the dark. Of course, this would be a problem with any stand situation where you had to take everything with you and setup in the dark. This is a problem for me because of the need to remain quiet and use as little light as possible. While my rapid rails are easy to set up, I do have to work extra hard with things are quiet in the woods to set up quietly. I guess this will always be a work in progress though.

Again, this post is not meant to knock any other type of stand. Whatever type of stand puts you closer to deer and increases the enjoyment of your hunting experience is what one needs to use. Just wanted to give my take on a great stand--The Guidos Web. You can check it out here at : http://www.guidosoutdoors.com

Preacherman- Thank you for taking the time to put together such a detailed write up! I have never used a Guido's web and I am not very familiar with it. Thank you for sharing! :D

Thanks Redsquirrel!

I forgot to mention one more disadvantage. Maybe someone else can help me with this one. Scent Control of my guidos web has been a challenge. Too big to wash it, I spray it down with a carbon synergy spray I use for scent control on my clothes every time I use it. I keep it stored in a couple of heavy duty garbage bags. Would like to find a better way to keep it clean, especially since your back and backside are against it most of the time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have a space to let it hang and air out between hunts? If you do, I'd spray it with scent killer then let it swing in the breeze.

Great write up, I hunt out of both types and love them both. I only use the web this time of year for comfort and ease of adding cold weather clothing. I use a lineman's belt rope with and accender for quick adjustment when hanging sticks and platform. It stays on web all the time and goes in a drop pouch on my right side when not in use. I also use the rope and bridge set up but it is attached to the bottom loops. the lineman's belt is to the top loops. This makes it easier to attach the lineman's belt around the tree in the dark and also opens me up even more with the bridge lower for shooting the bow. Hope that made sense. I also store mine in a big tub and have been having really good luck with smoking the whole set up before season. Scott

vitalinvader said:
Great write up, I hunt out of both types and love them both. I only use the web this time of year for comfort and ease of adding cold weather clothing. I use a lineman's belt rope with and accender for quick adjustment when hanging sticks and platform. It stays on web all the time and goes in a drop pouch on my right side when not in use. I also use the rope and bridge set up but it is attached to the bottom loops. the lineman's belt is to the top loops. This makes it easier to attach the lineman's belt around the tree in the dark and also opens me up even more with the bridge lower for shooting the bow. Hope that made sense. I also store mine in a big tub and have been having really good luck with smoking the whole set up before season. Scott
You can add clothes while hunting out of a Web?

Great write up. I use a web also. Haven't ever tried using any sort of saddle, but I can't really see myself switching from the web.
It is easily the most comfortable hunting setup I could imagine. In fact, I can't really think of any other chair that I sit in that is as comfortable or has the adjustment that a web has.
I will try to sit down and add to what you have written and discuss a few tips and tweaks that I have found through my two years of tinkering with my setup.

Really glad to see some other web users on here. Hope the saddle guys don't mind!

I say bring it! I think the Web is a great concept and looks comfortable. .. not a fan of the advertised weight, the bulk, or how I can imagine my back would sweat on the walk in with the full coverage back to it. I've never tried one though. It does sound comfy. ..

This sites not about hunting from one type of saddle, it's about ideas shared that improve this niche we all enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilkWeed said:
Really glad to see some other web users on here. Hope the saddle guys don't mind!

Absolutely not! To me it is all the same! I have been hoping some more web users would show up and give their input! I don't know much about it and would love to hear more!

Preacherman said:
Thanks Redsquirrel!

I forgot to mention one more disadvantage. Maybe someone else can help me with this one. Scent Control of my guidos web has been a challenge. Too big to wash it, I spray it down with a carbon synergy spray I use for scent control on my clothes every time I use it. I keep it stored in a couple of heavy duty garbage bags. Would like to find a better way to keep it clean, especially since your back and backside are against it most of the time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The only thing I would really suggest is getting an air tight storage container to put it in. Besides that just air it out when you can. I have started treating a lot of my equipment with ozone periodically and I feel like that is helping.

My progression with saddle hunting is as follows- I started with a Treesuit when they firs came out, went to a saddle, then to a Guidos Web, then a back to a Saddle then to a Aero Evolution and now have settled on the Web. I was striving to make a system that I could incorporate some of my recreational tree climbing techniques and did. The thing that the Guido's has over anything else in my opinion is comfort! While I am typically an "all day sit kind of guy" this product induces the least amount of fatigue at least for me. While it may be bulkier than the other saddle forms of hunting I like the adjustable back and lumbar support. Shooting out of it provides me a super stable platform and has never limited the shots I was able to take. A well thought out design and next season I will use Climpaws to access the tree and an Assassin platform for my feet(or if the tree is larger diameter my strap on steps).

They are to hot for early season IMO. After Halloween though it is great for all day sits. Extremely comfy.

Don't remember what size my buddy had but you couldn't pack anything in it like the smaller sizes. Cant wear a pack with it either.

Im not really into all day sits so I just keep rolling with the saddle but for all day sits the Web cant be beat.

[/quote]You can add clothes while hunting out of a Web?[/quote]

You could indeed add upper clothes like a thicker jacket or take off a jacket if it got to warm. Just slip the shoulder straps off take it off/or put it on and then put the shoulder straps back on. The safety harness is below the shoulder straps and you are not going to fall out if you do that. I wouldn't leave them off long and personally I don't take clothes off or on it but it definitely could be done safely. You could not add/remove pants or coveralls because of the buckles at thigh level though.

I have changed into a pair of bibs and also put on the heater bodysuit while in the web. Only when using a platform like the Lonewolf assassin and a lineman's belt. It's really not hard at all but I must say that I have been a lineman for the last 26 years so I'm kind of used to hanging around in the trees and poles. Definitely practice at ground level.

I have been using the Guidos Web for the last couple of years. I use a 24” Bridge connected with a tree rope/prussic combo that I made. I climb with 4 Lone Wolf sticks and still use a combo of things for my platform.

Comfort:
I will agree that I really couldn’t imagine any saddle type stand being more comfortable. I haven’t tried any others, but have read countless posts on Treesaddle, Aero, Tree suit, etc… and it seems like comfort is always an issue that comes up with any of these. However I have yet to read anything about actually sitting in the web being uncomfortable.

Packability:
I can kind of lean either way with this one…
On one hand the web is much more bulky than the other styles of saddles. I find the 3 pouches on the back only slightly useful. I now use them to hold my tree rope and linesman belt and occasionally stuff some other items in there.
One of the things I have done to my GW that I feel has made a huge difference is rigging up a strap to go across my hips when carrying.
The web ships with 2 additional 2” male buckles. I took a 12-16” section of 2” webbing off of an older free harness that came with an old stand to put the buckles on. Once I have my GW loaded on myself, I attach the newly made male buckles to the female buckles on the leg straps. Then I cinch these down on my hips to allow the weight to sit on my hips instead of shoulders. This is a very simple addition that makes a HUGE difference in packing. I also store this in back pouch when not in use.
I have never tried to wear a backpack with web, but would imagine it is difficult. I currently use a small fanny pack and clip it around the back of web before folding the seat up to walk in. I will try to add a pic to this post to show how I pack WEB, 4 LW Sticks, Platform options, Ropes, Fanny pack, additional clothes.
Overall I am pretty happy with how I pack everything.

Fork:
I could not imagine using the web, or really any other saddle, without the fork. It is probably one of those things that if I hadn’t used it first, I wouldn’t really miss. I would guess that I spend close to 70% of my time in the tree with the fork contacting the tree. I NEVER have any pressure on my knees.
Like preacherman, I have wrapped my fork in tape. I use camo hockey athletic tape as I found it to be the cheapest as well as having the fabric feel to quiet things a bit. I use it on LW sticks as well as some other metal items to deaden the sound of metal clanking together.
I rotate sides on the fork exactly as preaherman allowing me to turn directions on a pivot, and making less movement.
I had some early concerns with the fork scraping treebark when moving. I have found that keeping the fork at a 90 degree angle to tree drastically reduces the fork getting into a bind and making excess noise on bark. It is really not an issue any longer, especially on trees that I have preset with a platform and the fork wears in similar places on the tree.

I have been following along with threads on AT and other forums that discuss mods people have made to the fork. Someday I may look into a mod to make length adjustable, but this would be more for added length when sitting on the downhill side of a leaning tree.
I haven’t found climbing with the fork to be extremely difficult. I am 6’4” 190#, so I am not sure if having long legs helps or not? I pull the seat up into my crotch and tighten the leg straps up pretty tight to hold it up.

SAFETY:
I have never felt unsafe in GW. I have to make double check and myself slow down my setup when tying in because I get a little too comfortable.

Back Support:
This is one of my favorite aspects of GW. The GW has two adjustable straps that run across lumbar and upper back for support. I usually start with adjusting the lumber strap as tight as I can, then set the upper strap for comfortable position depending on angle of tree. Then I let out lumbar strap to comfortable position.

PLATFORM
I have used Ameristep Grizzly screw in steps, cranford folding steps on strapworks strap, homemade climbpaws on strap, tree limbs, tops of sticks, maybe a couple of others.
I think when possible, it is the easiest to screw in steps.
Another advantage of GW is that I really don’t feel that I put a lot of pressure on with my feet. I am using the fork most of the time and just use the platform to stretch, piviot, or move. I am going to try some Cranford screwins as John E and preacherman both seem to like them much better.

HOOK UP
I really didn’t use the included hook up so I cant comment on that with much experience.

DISADVANTAGES:
I purchased some neoprene covers to slip over carabiners but truthfully haven’t found the need to use them. I really haven’t found much noise once I am set up.

The biggest downside to me is the fact that your entire back is covered by GW. This is made worse when I have a long hike to make in warmer temps. I usually only have my top base layer on and try to not wear a hat when it is this warm. I put my layers at or close to my tree.

STORAGE:
I keep mine on its side in a Rubbermaid tub. I also keep my fanny pack and ropes/climbing gear in same box. I use homemade scent spray I made up this year to spray it down, and I try to let it air out after spray. I recently ordered a small ozone machine that redsquirrel mentioned to see if that helps with scent and storage.

I have gotten pretty good at adding/removing upper layers while in the web. I slip shoulder straps off and take jacket off. Add mid layer, which is usually primaloft/down vest or something similar.

I liked the suggestion of hooking lineman belt on top straps and bridge from bottom. I have been toying with the idea of making smaller strap and will try swapping loops this weekend.

I will try to get some pics soon.

Look forward to more comments on GW.

Really liking this site and forum.

Do you have any pics of your homemade climb paws? I have the commercial product but would love to see (then make and try out) a homemade version.

I ended up giving my homepaws away to a buddy to try out. I will see if I can find my drawings I made. The plywood step thread gave me some ideas to improve them by removing some of the part that fits against the tree to make more stable. The biggest pain was packing them in. I was hoping to use two different sizes that would allow two to nest together, but I gave up on them pretty quick. I wish I knew someone close that had some real paws I could cheat off of!

Also couldn't find any good pics of my pack set up. I will snap some this weekend.

Back