• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alabama guys - I’m moving there and need some advice

sconnieVLP

In classic fashion, as I figure out how to hunt one area I get told I have to leave. Just got notified that I got an assignment to Montgomery, will be moving down there in June.

The catch is that I’ll only be there for a year. Is it worth it to try and find a club to join for just a year/will a club even let me do that or should I stick to the public/WMAs? My first assignment in MS I joined a club for a year and then decided not to renew after it turned out to be a clown show, but I know not all clubs are created equal.

Montgomery is tough. You're technically in the black belt, with Lowndes and Autauga WMA nearby. Coosa to the north. Corps land on the river. The problem is you have a weird mix of high population and redneckery. Your closest good hunting is probably around Camden and Selma. Definitely head west.

The clubs around there that I'm aware of are either awesome and pricy or clown shows. But, you have the Mann Museum there nearby, which is cool.

How far are you willing to drive for a hunt?

I’d stick with public. I’m sure you could find a club within driving distance for a year but the chance it’s a decent one with decent guys is low in my opinion. Talledega National Forest and Coosa await you.

Check out aldeer.com and explain your situation and get to know some guys on there if you still want to get in a club. They got a lot of grumpy old timers but they will help you out if you can put up with the heckling. Lots of good guys on there despite what it seems on the surface.

Good luck!

Montgomery is tough. You're technically in the black belt, with Lowndes and Autauga WMA nearby. Coosa to the north. Corps land on the river. The problem is you have a weird mix of high population and redneckery. Your closest good hunting is probably around Camden and Selma. Definitely head west.

The clubs around there that I'm aware of are either awesome and pricy or clown shows. But, you have the Mann Museum there nearby, which is cool.

How far are you willing to drive for a hunt?
During the week after class probably 30 min. On the weekends/days off I don’t mind going 2-3 hours or further for a long weekend.

I was checking out the public in the area with some mapping tools, figure I’d try to ID a few close spots I can hit for a weekday sit and then branch out on the weekends.

The Mann Museum is super cool, I went there a few years ago when I was TDY to Maxwell. At least if I can’t figure out how to kill something myself I’ll be able to look at stuff someone else killed.

In classic fashion, as I figure out how to hunt one area I get told I have to leave. Just got notified that I got an assignment to Montgomery, will be moving down there in June.

The catch is that I’ll only be there for a year. Is it worth it to try and find a club to join for just a year/will a club even let me do that or should I stick to the public/WMAs? My first assignment in MS I joined a club for a year and then decided not to renew after it turned out to be a clown show, but I know not all clubs are created equal.
You must have joined that club I was in and got out of, lol. :tearsofjoy:

Tuskegee National forest is about an hr East of Montgomery. I don’t know anything about it, except for the fact it’s there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's Tuskegee Natl Forest Hunting FB page and Alabama Saddle Hunters FB page.

Also on the AL DNR website are SOA hunts every year you can put in for.

But it sounds like you will be paying out of state license fees.

I’d stick with public. I’m sure you could find a club within driving distance for a year but the chance it’s a decent one with decent guys is low in my opinion. Talledega National Forest and Coosa await you.

Check out aldeer.com and explain your situation and get to know some guys on there if you still want to get in a club. They got a lot of grumpy old timers but they will help you out if you can put up with the heckling. Lots of good guys on there despite what it seems on the surface.

Good luck!
Yeah, I’ve decided on sticking with public. I just got the academic calendar for the school I’ll be in and it doesn’t leave a lot of room for hunting so paying for a club doesn’t really seem worth it.

There's Tuskegee Natl Forest Hunting FB page and Alabama Saddle Hunters FB page.

Also on the AL DNR website are SOA hunts every year you can put in for.

But it sounds like you will be paying out of state license fees.
The SOA hunts look interesting, thanks for that!

I’ll be paying resident fees since I’m active duty and have orders putting me in AL.

Being halfway between Starkville and Tuscaloosa for my first assignment I had enough of that for a lifetime.

Besides….

View attachment 99004

Bammers are a special breed of people. They are the only people that are able to not only trace their lineage back to Robert E. Lee, they can trace their lineage to a player on every championship team. Every Bammer also has a story to tell about how their personal doings led the team to a National Championship.

If you ever want to see witness a Bammer in their natural habitat, go to the FloraBama on any warm Saturday during football season. You will see Bammers adorned in Crimson or Herringbone and sometimes both. They will be chanting, applauding, dancing and stroking egos. If you are fortunate enough you may get to see them sobbing profusely, and possibly fighting each other due to the fact they didn’t cheer for their team hard enough causing a loss. It’s a phenomena that only the sub species known as a Bammer can perform.

Bammers are a special breed of people. They are the only people that are able to not only trace their lineage back to Robert E. Lee, they can trace their lineage to a player on every championship team. Every Bammer also has a story to tell about how their personal doings led the team to a National Championship.

If you ever want to see witness a Bammer in their natural habitat, go to the FloraBama on any warm Saturday during football season. You will see Bammers adorned in Crimson or Herringbone and sometimes both. They will be chanting, applauding, dancing and stroking egos. If you are fortunate enough you may get to see them sobbing profusely, and possibly fighting each other due to the fact they didn’t cheer for their team hard enough causing a loss. It’s a phenomena that only the sub species known as a Bammer can perform.

Best bama fan joke I've ever heard is that folks in Auburn shirts probably went to Auburn. Folks in Alabama shirts probably went to Walmart...

Back