• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Albino Deer

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
So apparently the kid who shot the 12 point albino in Michigan is getting death threats?? Seriously? Crazy.

So that being said, if legal, would you should an albino deer if given the opportunity?

I would.

This story has been getting a lot of coverage by outdoor media and on local forums. The facebook comments are by far and large the nadir of the type of dialogue civilized individuals are capable of with today's technology.

While I'm no biologist, it is well understood that albinism is a recessive trait and not desirable among wildlife.

Whether or not you agree with this kill is no excuse fob anyone to threaten this boy or his family.

His father was recently in mike Avery outdoors to talk about the type of threats they have been receiving and it just about made me sick as a human being that we would treat others, who have merely exercised their rights as Americans, with such contempt and disrespect. It says a lot about our society that a majority of people would condemn this behavior while allowing much worse grievances against the natural world from corporate greed and irresponsibility.

So would I shoot it? Absolutely. That would be the trophy of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 1.5 piebald on a farm I hunt and my freind was giving me Crap for not shooting it. first of all on not burning a tag on small buck second of all it would be a much cooler 4 yro on my wall. And in fact the gene associated with either trait whether it be albino or piebald if far from desirable. Often times these deer suffer from other unaparent problems. It may be defness, partial blindness or whatever. the real story is the fact those people are pissed off b/c they didn't have the heuvos to shoot it themselves or are pissed that they didn't get the chance. I beleive WI recently made it illegal for you to kill an albino deer.

Bigburner, I only disagree with the reason people are angry. Many view the piebald and albino deer as some super special creature which should be preserved and revered.

They likely lack the scientific knowledge (unsurprising) to know that the gene highly undesirable in the wild and will likely shorten the deer's life, or they are too rabidly anti-hunting to care.

There is also the superstition that shooting an albino deer is bad luck...

redsquirrel said:
There is also the superstition that shooting an albino deer is bad luck...
I've heard that as well, but I'd just have to take my chances. Would be willing to fork over the $$$ to have it done as a full body mount if the rack was decent. Otherwise I would just have it caped and hung on the wall.

boone0 said:
Bigburner, I only disagree with the reason people are angry. Many view the piebald and albino deer as some super special creature which should be preserved and revered.

They likely lack the scientific knowledge (unsurprising) to know that the gene highly undesirable in the wild and will likely shorten the deer's life, or they are too rabidly anti-hunting to care.

I understand what your saying. Great white buffalo and all. I come from a heavy backround in forestry and wildlife biology and a lot of experience dealing with public perception. Sometimes I lack compassion for others feelings in terms of what cetain things symbolize for many people when it comes to the natural world. I've seen stuff in nature that would make your head spin and have the explanations for it more often than not and one thing I've learned about public perception that ignorance is often used as an excuse and feelings don't usually revolve around fact. Hunters and anti-hunters alike are just as guilty. All I'm saying is that I'm sure alot of the hunters in the area are bummed they didn't kill it themselves. Plus I was being a smart ass. If you liked driving by the field with your kids and checking the deer out in the evenings and you can't do it anymore its no reason to threaten to kill someone. I'm sure the same poeple that were bummed out would burn me at the stake if they saw me run an arrow through a does heart with her fawn trying to feed or standing close by. Good thing those folks don't know where to locate me come archery season. Me and the fawn have the same goal at that point. We're both hungry. Know what I mean? :lol:

Bigburner said:
I'm sure the same poeple that were bummed out would burn me at the stake if they saw me run an arrow through a does heart with her fawn trying to feed or standing close by. Good thing those folks don't know where to locate me come archery season. Me and the fawn have the same goal at that point. We're both hungry. Know what I mean? :lol:

:lol:

Or if I run an arrow through the fawns heart when mama isn't around :shock:

Back