• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alternative to screw in steps

jgleas114

SH Member
In the process on collecting Ameristep screw in step for next season. I have loved one sticking and will continue to keep it in my quiver, but being as I hunt private land, I want to have some trees preset for next season. I am using ameristeps for climbing and ROS.

A few questions:
  1. Is there an easier way to screw in these steps? I plan to step up a dozen or so trees. I can't find the ameristep drill bit anywhere.
  2. I have heard of folks using bolts. What size?
  3. Is there anything I am not considering for preset trees?

I predrilled I believe a 1/4 or 5/16 inch hole with a cordless drill to make it much easier to get them started

Treehopper LLC has hand drills, bolts and bits for electric drills. I believe muddy makes a tool to install screw in steps easier. I am a fan of bolts but prefer screw ins for ros since they won't slide out and at a horizontal angle.

There's a gizmo you can chuck into a cordless drill to drive screw-in steps. I think mine came from Walmart or Cabela's. I haven't used screw-in steps in several years so I can't remember if it was worth the hassle. I didn't use a pilot bit with it.

Lots of discussion on tree bolts. Short answer, 6" 3/8" Grade 8 bolts. Long answer, there's like a 50-page thread on it somewhere on here.

Cheap steel climbing sticks are a great option for pre-sets. I got some from Menards a few years ago, post-season, for $10 a stick or so. Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist should also be an option.

Just spend the extra and buy cranford ezy. Buy the fifty bundle out of the gate then a dozen a year til you get what you need.

I did it. I cant believe I spent 250 on 50 steps but those things are built like a brick house.

I did it. I cant believe I spent 250 on 50 steps but those things are built like a brick house.
Yea but they make life so much easier. I actually did a hang and hunt this past year with them and hung two stands

I've been tempted to drop the money to get enough of the double fold Cranfords to have 3 sets of 15 steps to climb and 6 to 8 deluxe steps to pair with them for a ring of steps like John Eberhart uses. If I had more places that screw ins were OK for there is no doubt I would have them already.

They are legal in our state and I like to have pre sets where I hunt locally. Now if im hunting out of state. Make sure you check the laws some states don’t allow that

In the process on collecting Ameristep screw in step for next season. I have loved one sticking and will continue to keep it in my quiver, but being as I hunt private land, I want to have some trees preset for next season. I am using ameristeps for climbing and ROS.

A few questions:
  1. Is there an easier way to screw in these steps? I plan to step up a dozen or so trees. I can't find the ameristep drill bit anywhere.
  2. I have heard of folks using bolts. What size?
  3. Is there anything I am not considering for preset trees?
The only redeeming quality of a Ameristep/one piece screw-in step is the price. They are inexpensive, but other than that, those things absolutely suck. They pack horribly, they are often difficult to screw-in and difficult to screw-out, they require a large "footprint" of clearance to screw one in, they are not forgiving of the start angle or any bumps/protrusions on the tree. Did I mention how much they suck?

For price point, nothing is as economical as bolts. For presets, install with a cordless and for run and gun install with a Treehopper hand drill.
If you really want a screw-in, then Cranford EZClimb are the only way to go. But even those can be a bit tight to install or remove on certain trees. They do require a lot less space than a one-piece step to get a full crank rotation. Crank space that you might need does depend on the trees that you climb. I always try to choose trees with as much cover as possible which usually means the tree has branches. With those types of trees, I guarantee you that, with one-piece steps, you'll often run into issues with not having enough space to get a full rotation between obstructions. It seems like Murphy's law... Because of your normal step spacing or other criteria, you'll need to place a step in an exact spot, not 2 inches, higher, or lower, or to the right or to the left. One piece steps do not give you the latitude to install the step close to an obstruction. Discovering that situation during a climb is a royal PIA in my opinion.

I had about 150 Ameristeps and I traded them for about a dozen EZ. I love EZ but I seldom use them these days because I'm hooked on bolts.

Last edited:
Back