• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel or rigging rope for climbing sticks ?

Mike Nutto

Ok so I asked a question the other day about rope for climbing sticks, It was suggested to use 8or 9mm rope or Amsteel. Now I want to get the ropes spliced. I think I can get this done through wespur. Yes I only see amsteel blue ( deer can see blue ) now does this come in 9mm? The answers I got were vague. Is there a suggested rigging rope you guys use in camo like the predator rope , which I think only comes in 11 mm.
Either way Im trying to figure out what to buy ,and where from. Some pictures of set ups would be nice as well. Thanks

Amsteel blue comes in a variety of colors. The "blue" is the stronger version of amsteel. Get 1/4" and splice it yourself. Get a Fid for 1/4" or if you have an old aluminum arrow with glue on nocks you can cut it down and remove the nock to make a Fid.

Buy 1/4" synthetic winch cable from amazon or ebay, you can get 50 foot for 25 bucks. Like keen1320 said, get you a fid and splice it yourself. You are going to give an unnecessary fortune to wesspur to splice you some rope for climbing sticks. Also, and just a note, I think 9mm is to big and over kill, I also think 8mm is (some will disagree) but if I was going with an accesory cord I would do 7mm. But ultimately I would do the rope winch deal as I previously mentioned.

Buy 1/4" synthetic winch cable from amazon or ebay, you can get 50 foot for 25 bucks. Like keen1320 said, get you a fid and splice it yourself. You are going to give an unnecessary fortune to wesspur to splice you some rope for climbing sticks. Also, and just a note, I think 9mm is to big and over kill, I also think 8mm is (some will disagree) but if I was going with an accesory cord I would do 7mm. But ultimately I would do the rope winch deal as I previously mentioned.

Link for winch cable at that price?

I buy my amsteel blue from lfs marine. If you email them, they will sell you by the foot in colors besides blue. 50ft is $53.95 to my door.
LFS marine

So here is where I run into questions , yes I should learn to do the slice. What Im wondering is what hitch do you use with the amsteel? Or what is the best way to hook it to the tree.
I realize amsteel is serious stuff , yet at the same time its hard to look at a 14 inch and imagine it will hold you though I know it will, I don't know that I would use a substitute though to amsteel

Your choice on the substitute, I trust it, but that's me. You have to make that decesion yourself. You make a loop using a brumel splice, youtube it, pretty easy.

wow that's definitely cheaper. Wonder if thats sk60 and who the manufacture is that braids it?

Not sure, I just ordered 50' for $19 from a different listing then the one I posted above. The listing I ordered from claimed 7,700lb instead of 7,000. I am going to check it out when it gets here and possibly test it out on some sticks that I have been planning on doing the rope mod with. If I get it and don't trust it I'll find another use for it.

yes, to everything above. the 'rope' thickness given was to make sure you have the diameter right to use with a lonewolf versa button. what you do is make a loop on one end of the rope (splice or fig 8 follow) or amsteel (brummel Lock splice), that goes over the versa button, the rope then goes around the tree as normal, then over the button - around behind the loop - under the button AND PULL TIGHT, this pulls the rope inside the versa button so the loop and the rope double thickness inside and lock against each other. I then finish the tag end with 2 half hitches.leverage.jpg

yes, to everything above. the 'rope' thickness given was to make sure you have the diameter right to use with a lonewolf versa button. what you do is make a loop on one end of the rope (splice or fig 8 follow) or amsteel (brummel Lock splice), that goes over the versa button, the rope then goes around the tree as normal, then over the button - around behind the loop - under the button AND PULL TIGHT, this pulls the rope inside the versa button so the loop and the rope double thickness inside and lock against each other. I then finish the tag end with 2 half hitches.View attachment 7727
Hick stick I didn't see your other comment on the thickness of the rope. also that is a rad modified stick

Hick stick I didn't see your other comment on the thickness of the rope. also that is a rad modified stick
the stick is pretty much stock, its a Leverage Climbing stick, the only mods I did was ditch their bracket/cambuckle and added a lonewolf versabutton & amsteel...and the tubular webbing aider. oh and I believe I used 5/16 amsteel but not sure...it was like 4 years ago.

the stick is pretty much stock, its a Leverage Climbing stick, the only mods I did was ditch their bracket/cambuckle and added a lonewolf versabutton & amsteel...and the tubular webbing aider. oh and I believe I used 5/16 amsteel but not sure...it was like 4 years ago.
My fridge was bought out by hawk I thought your foot pegs for a different that's okay I haven't seen those in a while. Anyway thank you for your help

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Apparently you are correct Mike. I've had this set of 3 for 5 or 6 years, maybe longer.

So here is where I run into questions , yes I should learn to do the slice. What Im wondering is what hitch do you use with the amsteel? Or what is the best way to hook it to the tree.
I realize amsteel is serious stuff , yet at the same time its hard to look at a 14 inch and imagine it will hold you though I know it will, I don't know that I would use a substitute though to amsteel
I don't like trying to tie knots in Amsteel. Half hitches can work, but they can also slip.
I'm assuming your sticks have buttons?? If so, the proper wrap around the button works okay, but I don't trust doing only the wrap. I add a couple half hitches in addition to the wrap. But knots are, IMO, cumbersome, especially with cold fingers or gloves.
My preferred rope method for sticks is a whoopie sling. Slicker than goose crap.

Everyone keeps talking about this whoopie sling I'm on my phone with this quite often unfortunately so searching Fred's it's kind of a pain please give me a link to what a whoopie sling is because when I look it up I get hammocks drives me nuts anyway thank you for your help
I don't like trying to tie knots in Amsteel. Half hitches can work, but they can also slip.
I'm assuming your sticks have buttons?? If so, the proper wrap around the button works okay, but I don't trust doing only the wrap. I add a couple half hitches in addition to the wrap. But knots are, IMO, cumbersome, especially with cold fingers or gloves.
My preferred rope method for sticks is a whoopie sling. Slicker than goose crap.

I did a lot of investigating into climbing sticks, and came across the leverage sticks in some form probably on Saddle Hunter. And I found out that Hawk bought Leverage. It's a cool setup that's for sure from what I've heard now Hawk was also bought out this year
Apparently you are correct Mike. I've had this set of 3 for 5 or 6 years, maybe longer.

Back