• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel VS static Line

simple man

For doing the rope mod with versa button. Is their a significant weight difference between Amsteel or Static line ? Or accessory cord ?
I will be hunting with climbing sticks this fall for the first time. So I am about to buy some sticks and I want to do the rope mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short answer: yes. There will be significant weight savings versus static climbing rope.

Best place to buy Amsteel? And what size?

I got mine from Dutchwaregear.com for $0.90 a foot plus $15 shipping. Was the best price I found for 1/4".

The general consensus seems to be 1/4", so that's what I got. I'm using it for a bridge though, so there may be a more appropriate diameter for your stick mod.

I got mine from Dutchwaregear.com for $0.90 a foot plus $15 shipping. Was the best price I found for 1/4".

The general consensus seems to be 1/4", so that's what I got. I'm using it for a bridge though, so there may be a more appropriate diameter for your stick mod.

Thanks

For doing the rope mod with versa button. Is their a significant weight difference between Amsteel or Static line ? Or accessory cord ?
I will be hunting with climbing sticks this fall for the first time. So I am about to buy some sticks and I want to do the rope mod.

For the versa button no less than 1/4”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

for me I did not like the big knot when using a static rope - A spliced loop in Amsteel is far superior to connect to versa button IMO

The amsteel feels slippery to me - I have some for a bridge, where I want that...but it works ok on a versa button? Anyone tried it on a DIY (non) versa button?

What is the weight savings exactly?

This is straight off my sticks, 4 x 9ft of Sterling 7mm accessory cord weighing in at 14 ounces, so factoring in a few feet for knots it is about 0.35 ounces per foot.

Amsteel 1/4" [is that what most use??] is on their website at .256 oz/ft.

So Amsteel is approx 35% lighter which at my rope length would save me about 5 ounces. Not significant enough for me to change.

upload_2018-6-26_16-13-32.png

Back