• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

An Owl Hunt with gunner??? Really?

It's weird for me to say out loud, but I love owl's. They are my favorite animal on our planet. My kids get me owl related things for every holiday. I would love to be able to legally take a few and have them mounted to place around the house, but I am not sure how I actually feel about an open season on them. Maybe a tag system would be better? Decimating a population has never been an effective way of population control.

I guess I never realized what a menace they are. I always thought they just ate mice so wow. Time to Choot em!! I think a lot of the Eastern Woodland Indians used their feathers for their headdresses. I do hear more owls than ever nowadays here back east!

Yeah I would probably be divorced. Owls are bad medicine in native American culture (My wife is commanche) and killing one is definitely BAD medicine. She can't stand hearing one at the house. I couldn't imagine how'd she flip if she knew she was living with someone that had killed one.

I kept hearing one in a WMA near a hunting spot. I then found a tree with a metric ton of owl poop under it. I spent way too long digging in it with a stick and looking at all these little skeletons in its poop.

I kept hearing one in a WMA near a hunting spot. I then found a tree with a metric ton of owl poop under it. I spent way too long digging in it with a stick and looking at all these little skeletons in its poop.
Wait until you get under a tree with a bald eagle nest in it. Crazy.

Wait until you get under a tree with a bald eagle nest in it. Crazy.

I hope to see that!

I never saw this owl, but it sounded big and had big poops. Some of the skeletons looked small squirrel/chipmunk sized and of course a bunch of mice. We have great horned owls here, so maybe it was one of those.

Yeah I would probably be divorced. Owls are bad medicine in native American culture (My wife is commanche) and killing one is definitely BAD medicine. She can't stand hearing one at the house. I couldn't imagine how'd she flip if she knew she was living with someone that had killed one.
Yeah I was thinking about this. That’s not my belief but I can see some people would be concerned about invoking misfortune by killing an owl. Rather like the saying to never kill a songbird, I think from the book To Kill a Mockingbird.

I've got a Great Horned Owl family living in a tree behind my house. Sometimes when we grill out in the summer, we can watch them hunt the squirrels and other critters, and listen to their calls. We also have a couple of eagle nests nearby, and see blue herons pretty regularly.

I love hunting and all, but I don't think I have it in me to shoot a raptor. They're such neat birds. After reading the article I agree that it's probably necessary to save other species, but even if I were in the PNW I doubt I would participate.

One morning I set up, and had 3 barn owls come flying in and hang out for awhile. It was pretty cool. Haven't seen them since.
Also interesting my librarian in elementary school had a great horned owl mounted. It flew into a power line near their house. DNR gave them a tag for it. It was pretty cool.

Back