• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone Using Tree Hopper or Peg type steps?

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is using the tree hooper or one of the other drill and peg type of climbing systems and how do you like them? I thought that using this type of climbing method I could have multiple setups but only need a limited amount of pegs and not have to leave the equipment in the woods where it could disappear. Then I could just walk in with the Aero Hunter, Ameristep platform, and the pegs. I think it would be a very good option for public land hunting and multiple sets with a minimal amount of hardware.

Thanks, Roger

I do.
But can you drill holes on Public land?

I just use Bolts from the hardware store and use the EZ Kut Hand Drill or their bit on a small power drill.
I Preset as many trees as I could preseason and just carry a bag of bolts and my platform up.
I generally only use 10 bolts and carry 15 (in case a drop one...hasn't happened yet.

I always drill in the same pattern so I can find the holes without too much trouble (most of the time).
I mark the trees with glow tacks and usually an orange flag.
You might figure out a more subtle system for public land.

I had a thread about the EZ Kut Drill system:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=182

Yes he is in NJ and we can drill holes on all the state owned public land.

Thanks JSD I just read through that thread and it seems like you guys are pretty much doing exactly what I was thinking of doing, I'll have to pick up one of those bits and a bunch of those bolts and give it a try. I have a friend who is going crazy on public land because as soon as he sets up guys are all around him within a week. The joys of public land hunting!!!? :? :?

What type of drill are you using to drill the holes?

Years ago my father in law worked for Bell telephone and gave me a ton of telephone pegs but it was a chore getting them in with a brace and bit, the dark days before cordless drills, and they were really heavy. It was fine for a location that was permanent but not to carry in each trip. Thanks for the tips and info I really appreciate it.

Roger

RS is it listed in the hunting digest about state land and tree steps?

I got a Ryobi 12v Lithium powered Drill from Home Depot.
Probably half the weight and size of my old 18v drill.

These new batteries are really small.
I can drill 3 trees on a charge.
I keep my bigger drill in the car too...but I was generally ready to go home after setting 3 trees :)

I always carry the little EZ Kut drill with me too.
In case I find a tree that I HAVE to hunt right then.
I am not a fan of trying to drill a tree in the dark before a hunt.
Doing one in the afternoon to hunt that evening isn't so bad once you get the technique down.

I carry the charger in my truck for my 18v dewalt lith. drill. When its really cold a locust tree can zap it pretty quick.

Killed lots of deer same day of drilling the tree. Not as loud as you think it is.

justsomedude said:
I got a Ryobi 12v Lithium powered Drill from Home Depot.
Probably half the weight and size of my old 18v drill.

These new batteries are really small.
I can drill 3 trees on a charge.
I keep my bigger drill in the car too...but I was generally ready to go home after setting 3 trees :)

I always carry the little EZ Kut drill with me too.
In case I find a tree that I HAVE to hunt right then.
I am not a fan of trying to drill a tree in the dark before a hunt.
Doing one in the afternoon to hunt that evening isn't so bad once you get the technique down.

Hi JSD,

I was wondering do you drill the holes at a slight angle and have you ever had one of the pegs slip out on you while climbing up or down from the tree? Also do you plastic dip the ends or just leave them the way they are from the store? Also the hand drill is that a lot more tiring or is it pretty efficient at drilling the holes as well? I went to the EZ Kut site and it looked pretty expensive unless you get the bit and the hand drill together. The Ranger bands around the bolts is a great idea, I saw it somewhere a guy used an ammo belt and put the bolts it that which I thought was pretty slick as well, but don't know what he did with it after he got into the tree. Also have you used this system in Pine trees because where I live that is predominately what we have and I was wondering how bad the sap gets and if it's even worth it on Pines? Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it.

Roger

I do drill the holes at a VERY slight angle.
Never had a Bolt fall out (knock on wood!).
I always have spares on me any way (EASILY ACCESSIBLE WITH ONE HAND WHEN CLIMBING!).

The main thing you have to watch out for is getting tangled in the bolts....Tree Strap, Tow ropes etc.

I've not been in any Pines. Don't have them here.
I'm sure the sap becomes an issue.
I would also think that the holes might soften in a Pine after repeated use.

I'm sure some one has experience with that.

Stykbow, Where you from? You wouldn't be hunting the Pine Barrens? I grew up hunting the PB's

You would be right some of the places I hunt are Greenwood, Stafford Forge, and sometimes Colliers Mills but mostly south of Route 70. I'm currently hunting two pieces of private property one up in Montgomery and the other In Warren Grove and they are polar opposites in every way shape and form. I have a few places that I put on hold due to having access to the private property but plan on getting back out once I get a saddle and have a few stand sites setup.

As for the pegs thanks JSD I will put that input to good use but I agree I might have to figure out something different for the pines unless I find that lone oak that I can utilize. I have Sky Hooks and I guess I can use those with the drill as well but doesn't help me with the sap issue! Thanks for all the info and tips I really appreciate it.

Roger

Stykbow, I cut my bowhunting teeth in Indian Mills. Grand Parents live in Chatsworth. My old gang used to do drives by 4-mile circle. Mostly we hunted Pemberton and Vincentown.

Hey Sman know all three of those places but I hunt areas mostly east of those areas. Yeah the clubs drive all the areas around here during shotgun season and doe day. So you know what I'm dealing with pretty much all small, crooked, pines, or the occasional scrub oak and most guys just use ladder stands. I did a lot of ground hunting as well as still hunting along the fire breaks and sand trails but would like to utilize the Aero Hunter and get back into those areas I think it would work extremely well in those spots. So where are you hunting now?

From the info that JSD and a couple of others passed on I think the drill and peg system would work great for most areas I may have to use steps or just leave the bolt In if I use a pine but still better than advertising to everyone where I'm at with a ladderstand! I can't wait to get an Aero Hunter and give it a try!

Roger

Stykbow1, I moved to Montana 15 yrs ago. No elk in Jersey! Basically, I hunt any river within driving distance! I never bowhunted that far east in Jersey. Maybe a little around 4-mile circle. I did quite a bit of hunting in Fort Dix. Used to be quite a few good bucks in there before I moved. I'm talking 130-150" deer. You should check it out. It get's pressured but you just gotta figure out how to get away from the people.

1simplemann said:
Stykbow1, I moved to Montana 15 yrs ago. No elk in Jersey! Basically, I hunt any river within driving distance! I never bowhunted that far east in Jersey. Maybe a little around 4-mile circle. I did quite a bit of hunting in Fort Dix. Used to be quite a few good bucks in there before I moved. I'm talking 130-150" deer. You should check it out. It get's pressured but you just gotta figure out how to get away from the people.

Hey Simpleman,

Now I'm really jealous Montana is awesome my wife and I went on our honeymoon to West Yellowstone and it was fantastic, the country, the people, and the animals were amazing. I've always wanted to hunt the Milk river region or the Bitterroot National Forest ee ver since reading about those areas in Traditional Bowhunter magazine. A big difference between hunting the pines and hunting the mountains of Montana. Your right no Elk in New Jersey but we have a pretty good population in Pennsylvania these days. One of these days I plan on making a trip out to Montana and Idaho to hunt deer and elk as well as fly fish for trout.

I thought about hunting Fort Dix but since 9/11 they have closed off some of the areas and from what I've heard they assign you a hunt location and you have sign in and out and are only allowed to park in designated spots. You are right that there are some big bucks out there but currently I have two good locations that are on private property and it's working out really well for me and two locations is about all I can fit in. One of the locations is on the backside of Stafford Forge in Warren Grove and between the private property and state land I have hundreds of acres to hunt, the other spot is up in Montgomery and even though it's a small piece of land it has produced for me twice already. Once I get my AH I'm going to branch out and hunt some other areas but for right now the two spots I have are keeping me pretty busy as it is and I don't have time for anything else. Great talking to you!

Roger

Montana is beautiful! Great place to live, hunt and fish but I wouldn't come to Montana to hunt just yet if your going to DIY. In the last 3 years, EHD has reduced the herd by 60-80% depending on area. Milk river area hit especially hard. Elk herd and hunting them isn't doing much better IMHO. Bitterroot valley has been hit especially hard by wolves along w/ many traditionally good areas in or near western MT, GNP, and YNP. Many of those guys are coming to central or eastern MT to hunt. Couple that w/ many areas in central MY or eastern MT are no longer general tags. You have to draw them. Makes the hunting in those areas good to great depending area and access. Here's the kicker, it concentrates the locals, the displaced locals, regular O of Ster's, and the displaced O of St'rs into general tag areas. The general tag areas are CROWDED w/ a vehicle sometimes multiple at every trailhead, parking area, etc. Some of these areas seldom saw a person, bugling vocal elk weren't hard to find if you got off the road a bit. Just yesterday, while checking possible wallow locations, I found 3 great spots for future saddle hunts. At all 3 there was sign left from previous treestands, old sign and new. Basically you have to get there 1st. Never used to be this way. Hike till you found a good spot and hunt it. Generally didn't matter where you found it. Google Earth has made it easy for guys to find the easy stuff close to the road (1-2 miles). Before you had to put boots on the ground to find areas like these. Now you have to go DEEP to get away from people and even then it's no garantee. OK I'm done venting but I just want you to realize it's not like how your picturing it. 5-10 years ago, Amazing! People would let you hunt deer and elk and the public land wasn't so bad either. Now public land is getting hammered and much of the good private land is now closed off for various reasons. Good hunting can still be had but it is much more challenging these days.

Stykbow1 said:
1simplemann said:

Hey Simpleman,

Now I'm really jealous Montana is awesome my wife and I went on our honeymoon to West Yellowstone and it was fantastic, the country, the people, and the animals were amazing. I've always wanted to hunt the Milk river region or the Bitterroot National Forest ee ver since reading about those areas in Traditional Bowhunter magazine. A big difference between hunting the pines and hunting the mountains of Montana. Your right no Elk in New Jersey but we have a pretty good population in Pennsylvania these days. One of these days I plan on making a trip out to Montana and Idaho to hunt deer and elk as well as fly fish for trout.

I thought about hunting Fort Dix but since 9/11 they have closed off some of the areas and from what I've heard they assign you a hunt location and you have sign in and out and are only allowed to park in designated spots. You are right that there are some big bucks out there but currently I have two good locations that are on private property and it's working out really well for me and two locations is about all I can fit in. One of the locations is on the backside of Stafford Forge in Warren Grove and between the private property and state land I have hundreds of acres to hunt, the other spot is up in Montgomery and even though it's a small piece of land it has produced for me twice already. Once I get my AH I'm going to branch out and hunt some other areas but for right now the two spots I have are keeping me pretty busy as it is and I don't have time for anything else. Great talking to you!

Roger
Those Penn. elk might as well be off limits. Good luck drawing a tag! Sounds like you've got some good spots. Thought you might need some more. After 9/11, I'm not sure of the procedures anymore but I'm sure some of the stuff we used to do is no longer possible or tolerated. One thing is for sure, BIG bucks are in Fort Dix. My hunting partners have killed 130, 140, 150+" deer in there since I've moved. They've seen bigger.. The regulations are a pain though but the place has the potential of producing your best deer and it's open to the public. Fly Fishing here in MT is world class! Just regular fishing is pretty dang good also.

Hey Sman,

Thanks for all the info but I wasn't planning on heading out anytime soon but just being out west is a treat in itself. I went fly fishing on the Big Horn river back in 1991 and I have been wanting to get back out there ever since. I was wondering are screw in steps allowed in Montana or are you using something else like like strap on sticks?

Thanks, Roger

Stykbow, sorry about the venting. I just hear lots of guys talking about coming here. Which is understandable after all since Montana is a special place. When I hear this though, I just want people to understand there isn't an elk or deer behind every tree and all you have to do is knock on some guys door and he's gonna let you hunt. Those days are over. Access to good hunting is very difficult.Hunting has become very commercialized here as well as the rest of the country. It's getting worse all the time. Public hunting here is very tough so if you really do intend on coming out here, I just wanted you to know it won't be easy. BTW Screw in's are legal.

Back