• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are steps uncomfortable?

valerio024

I have been a big fan of John Eberhart's work for years and after finishing "Bowhunting the Eberhart Way" I decided to buy a saddle. So, I went ahead and placed a pre-order for the Kestrel, order # 321. Now I have tons of questions :laughing:, mostly related to a platform and sticks. I am going to be using my saddle for mobile hunting so I am trying to determine a lightweight "platform". It seems that Eberhart uses screw in steps primarily as a "platform" and that he sits with his knees against the tree and stands up to shoot. I've thought about using the top of my sticks and some screw in steps in a similar manner. Do you guys find that to be uncomfortable on your feet? I've also looked at the Primal vantage steps or the Stepps. Are those options any more comfortable that screw in steps? It seems like lone wolf are good and lightweight but have the drawback of having a single step on top. I know guys also use muddy pro sticks or hawk heliums and I am leaning toward one of those since they have double steps on top to stand on. Is one more comfortable than the other? Thanks for advising a newbie.

I use a guidos web and the top of my stick as my "platform", with either screw in or cranford steps on the sides and back of the tree. With the 'Web' I have a fork that keeps separation between me and the tree so the steps on the side of the tree kinda feel like pegs on a motorcycle. Super comfortable, never had any foot pain. But if I never sat down I'm guessing it would be a little wearing.

I hunt as John describes probably 90% of the time. Personally, I have no issues standing on screw in steps. When I need to be mobile, I have strap on steps on a strap with an overcenter buckle. An advantage of having this separate from your sticks is that it will get you up a little higher than the top of your foot. If you just stand on your stick you will be limited with moving around the tree to get in place for different 360 degree shot angles. Something that has become popular lately is the platforms guys are making out of the xop treestand seat. They are too bulky for me to use, but they are an option.

Basically you have to try out some things and find what you think will work for you. Lots of people have differing opinions but we're all hanging out of a saddle :D.

Comfort is a personal thing, no doubt you'll get all sorts of responses.
Truly, I think that steps have potential to be more comfortable for 'sitters' than they are for 'leaners' because less weight will be on the steps of sitters.

I just received (2x) Stepps from Wild Edge and look forward to getting them into action tonight. I've already envisioned some sort of weave on top of the stepp as a way to create more surface area for my feet. Time will tell if it is feasible or even necessary.

You came to the right place to ask questions - Saddle Hunter rocks!

Whatever you use, be safe and good luck.

Like River hunter said there are a lot of variables. If you find you are a sitter most of the weight will be in the saddle and you may be comfortable with screw in steps. If you find you prefer to lean instead of sit you will probably not find them comfortable. If you are light and wear thicker soles boots you may be ok either way. I'm a little more full figured than most on here and steps are a no for me. I do have a set of wild edge stepps ordered and will give them a try. I also have a xop hand climber top and it's a little big but it is nice. If I strap it to the tree I can get 360 around the tree with just the platform and one knee against the tree. You really need to spend some time figuring out what you like and don't like. I haven't tried the ameristep an a ratchet strap for a platform. I did try them the way they were intended to be used about 20 years ago. Thought I was going to die. Needless to say they don't work well on cypress trees.

Took me a few sits to get used to standing on the tree steps but now I barely notice it unless the steps are installed poorly (ie: bad angle, too close together, too far apart.) I will say though the wider the surface to step on the more comfortable you will be.

What red2delta said! Soft soled boots don't cut it for me even when using wider steps such as Ameristeps. Your mileage may vary...

I wear lots of minimalist shoes...NOT GOOD for Steps. Setting up 2 steps per foot makes them much better. I've done that with ameristeps and climbpaws

I love the stepps from wildedgeinc. I use 3 stepps as my platform and find them super comfortable with no issues whatsoever. To each their own but my 2 cents are that the step ladder stepps from wildedgeinc are great for me. Also, Andrew is a great dude to deal with, with outstanding customer service!!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I only wear LaCrossee rubber boots while hunting for scent control purposes. Does anyone have experience with rubber boots and screw in steps?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I only wear LaCrossee rubber boots while hunting for scent control purposes. Does anyone have experience with rubber boots and screw in steps?
This is exactly what I use. I have been using this exact setup for 10 years. After a while you do see wear on the instep of your foot, but my last pair of boots I retired after 7 years.

This is exactly what I use. I have been using this exact setup for 10 years. After a while you do see wear on the instep of your foot, but my last pair of boots I retired after 7 years.

Red how do you like them with spurs?

I have LaCrosse Aeroheads but I only wear them for 'non athletic climbs'. They are fine for screw in steps or sticks or tree bolts. I don't like using them with aider/loops on climbing sticks.

This year I'll probably stick to lace up Pac boots with wool inserts so I don't feel like an astronaut hiking through the woods

Last edited:
Red how do you like them with spurs?
It took a little getting used to but I don't have any problems. I just make sure I cinch everything down tight. I've been spurring up trees with rubber boots since last winter without issue.

I only use rubber boots for my hunts.

I find screw in steps to be uncomfortable after awhile (2-4 hrs). I can stand on Ameristeps pretty much all day.

Like others have said, it's highly personal. Whatever route you choose, your feet will eventually get used to it. Just stick with it and be patient.

Back