• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Atl-atl anyone???

DIYSaddler

I just read an article today about a gentleman in my state who just took a fifteen point buck with an atl-atl. He got it at right yards from a tree stand. So I was wondering, has anyone tried using a atl-atl from a treesaddle?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I'm not even sure if that's a recognized means of hunting in PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I was a kid, reading stories about native tribes and pre historic fiction, I've been fascinated with that particular weapon. I have hunted with spears, bows, all kind of firearms, but I've never tried one. Everything else is hard enough. I'd maybe like to have one to fool around with though. a funny image if you think about what that would be like to try to use out of a saddle

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've never hunted with one but I saw a guy post a video hunting with one in Georgia I think on some forum a few years ago. IIRC he hid behind a log or something and when the deer walked by, got up and tossed it. It was an awesome video. The spear/arrow whatever it's called was like a 6 long.

I get funny looks with the longbow during gun season. I could only imagine the looks I'd get with that! lol I might have to walk out the woods one day in my buffalo briefs and war paint to the parking area and see how that goes! lol

Here is one I built out of usage and deer antler. Almost finished, have to wrap the antlers to it with sinew. Never shot one, but would think I could get good with it. Mi doesn't allow it for hunting.

Re: RE: Re: Atl-atl anyone???

kenn1320 said:
Here is one I built out of usage and deer antler. Almost finished, have to wrap the antlers to it with sinew. Never shot one, but would think I could get good with it. Mi doesn't allow it for hunting.
That's good work Ken! Have you made any darts yet and what kind wood are using/planning on using for the shafts?

swampsnyper said:
I get funny looks with the longbow during gun season. I could only imagine the looks I'd get with that! lol I might have to walk out the woods one day in my buffalo briefs and war paint to the parking area and see how that goes! lol
I can dig that! After I have my next meat deer the rest of the season with be in street clothes with Hawaiian shirts for camo just to see what we can get away with in a CA surrounded by houses.

DIYSaddler said:
swampsnyper said:
I can dig that! After I have my next meat deer the rest of the season with be in street clothes with Hawaiian shirts for camo just to see what we can get away with in a CA surrounded by houses.

lol

DIYSaddler said:
kenn1320 said:
That's good work Ken! Have you made any darts yet and what kind wood are using/planning on using for the shafts?

I used rough sawn lumber for the atlatl but havent sorted out the dart yet. I will likely buy a 3rivers kit for those. There is a guy who has done the science on the atlatl and knows what makes them work. He uses(and sells) couplings to connect 2 aluminum shafts. That caught my eye, then I thought to myself "really, aluminum or carbon darts for an atlatl"? :lol: Ill put a 3r kit on my xmas list. I just have so many projects and so little time.

Do you have to wear a loin cloth when using it? That could get chilly.

fawnzy said:

No but I might add that to the list of garments to see what we can get away with. ;)

fawnzy said:

What you dont wear one now? Just put one of those instant heat hand warmers in the cloth, problem solved. :cool:

fawnzy said:

:lol: :lol:

kenn1320 said:
fawnzy said:

What you dont wear one now? Just put one of those instant heat hand warmers in the cloth, problem solved. :cool:
That could get warm

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's no wonder the cave men disappeared.

Distraction is a bitc$! At least they died happy

Back