• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attaching platform when 2tc

drpike22

I just started trying out 2tc and have been getting a little smoother. I am not sure what the best way to attach my platform is? Above, below. in between the ropes? I know what to do when I one stick, use multiple sticks or srt, but not sure where to place the platform as I go up and how I would get on the tree.

I just started trying out 2tc and have been getting a little smoother. I am not sure what the best way to attach my platform is? Above, below. in between the ropes? I know what to do when I one stick, use multiple sticks or srt, but not sure where to place the platform as I go up and how I would get on the tree.
I've been just hanging it off to the side, but make sure both tethers are above the platform. I've only practiced it a few times, but having both tethers above let's you basically climb "past" the platform and step sideways onto it, instead of climbing up on to it, if that makes sense. Any version of leaving a tether below adds slack or makes it difficult to get to the foot tether to remove it. Not a 2tc expert by any means but in my limited practice that's worked for me. I also rappel down, people that 2tc may have different opinions?

When I get to the height that I want the platform to be at I remove my foot from the foot tether and just hang from the top tether. I sit straddling the tree with the platform in my lap. I throw the strap around the back side and tighten and align everything up. I then partially cam the platform down as I push my self away from the tree and raise my leg and stand on the platform and climb up firmly seating the platform.

For me at height and hanging from my tether, I move my foot loop up, straddle the trunk with my legs and setup the platform using my lap as a table. Then, I’ll either climb up on the platform with my knee of use the footloop for one more evolution.

A ROS requires one more evolution but is otherwise the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below both tethers for sure, my method is somewhere in between those already mentioned depending on tree size and lean. I will mention that all the guidelines from T.M.A. over the past two decades or so have advocated stepping down onto a tree stand so that you can slowly add weight to it and be sure it's safe, climbing above your platform and stepping sideways or down onto it gives you the same ability

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The reason I use the Chippewa Wedge Loc Falcon is the tree strap is the least fiddle factor of all the connections that I have tried. I have a Amsteel loop on the platform that I sling over my shoulder and hang the strap on my saddle while ascending my cinched climbing line. No hassle- run strap around tree- tighten- hang platform and off to the races.

Back