• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attaching quick link to rappel rope: Scaffold knot or sewn loop/girth hitch?

tarafrost

I'm looking to buy a 40' Canyon Elite rappel rope, and the supplier will put in in an eye at the end for a reasonable fee.

So....wondering what the pros/cons might be of getting a rappel rope with a sewn loop at one end and using that to girth hitch to the quick link versus using a straight rope end with a scaffold knot to attach to the link?

Appreciate any advice you can offer to this saddle hunting beginner. Thanks!

Last edited:
If they can splice the loop properly I would be down for that less bulk and more stream line but a scaffold knot tied properly is just as good with little bulk. Either would be good just a personal choice

The scaffold works well on my Canyon CI-V. The scaffold knot cinches tight on the delta link and holds it firmly in position. In other words it doesn't dangle. Make sure you tie the scaffold properly. There is a way to tie it wrong and it can have catastrophic failure.
I have the sewn loop on my Resc Tech and like the minimal bulk. The sewn eye is stronger if done properly. I have sewn eyes on other lineman’s and tethers too and typically prefer them due to the reduced bulk and strength over the knots. After typing this I see you said spliced eye, not sewn. Spliced eyes work well too, but again if done properly.

A spliced or sewn eye wold work well with girth hitching the eye around the quick link. If you’re going to use the scaffold knot I would suggest you wrap the rope twice around the quick link before you tie the knot. It really helps to keep the quick link stable.

Attachments

• 29B3FAB3-1621-4E67-8241-9E6264A9BEF3.jpeg
    29B3FAB3-1621-4E67-8241-9E6264A9BEF3.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 96
I‘m guessing the supplier meant a sewn eye, I don’t know of any company that will splice it due to the parallel core strand construction.

The supplier doesn't state what kind of eye can be added, but I suspect it's sewn, not spliced as Brocky suggests.

Sounds to me like going with the loop is the way forward.

Thanks guys!

A spliced or sewn eye wold work well with girth hitching the eye around the quick link. If you’re going to use the scaffold knot I would suggest you wrap the rope twice around the quick link before you tie the knot. It really helps to keep the quick link stable.

The keeper clip in the photo is nice. Where did you source that, CharlieTN?

Back