• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bare minimum

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
It will be difficult for me to make a saddle that's smaller or lighter than this one and still be usable. After many failed attempts, this one is pretty close to being the BARE MINIMUM.

I will need to add a belt. I will possibly sew on a fixed bridge (the webbing sling used as bridge in pictures is way too long).
I might also add one more vertical strap under my butt and possibly a vertical strap on each side (or fold the "loop"ends over and sew them into loops on each side)

Here's my version of bare minimum.
Sewed from 10 yards of 2" black polyester webbing. I doubled up in the back of it from the outside of each vertical strap all the way across the back portion for strength (mostly in case my hand sewing isn't up to par).

9a940c2ec91127b3fc4ed528f525d5e2.jpg

8788ea273dac191e17788408c802f03e.jpg

f10486ec7ca46302f41aba675be5b3cc.jpg

7962c01dd227d4ef358adfe27c85993e.jpg

ec40b262fa67a5182d2dd673207c8c63.jpg

b6d796101a40a611f49e9237f243a912.jpg

74325286dddcda6a9dc8829647011a3d.jpg

5e9101ba0cd29044991380aeee58e1cd.jpg

584b676bff00ee173c53189a4de43c7d.jpg

f61fb59f445f914e2f7ac3054a3fb9c4.jpg

Shaun.

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al
Yeah, I over lapped mine 6 inches with 2 box x stitches then zig zag stitched all 6 inches over both boxes.

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al
I don't know how much support your vertical straps are doing that far forward. I put mine centering each butt cheek. I don't think I'll like one in my butt crack but maybe you are use to wearing thongs. Lol

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Re: RE: Bare minimum

swampsnyper said:
I don't know how much support your vertical straps are doing that far forward. I put mine centering each butt cheek. I don't think I'll like one in my butt crack but maybe you are use to wearing thongs. Lol
Haha. Not in public.
I left the lower part of the vertical straps unsewn so that I could figure out where I needed them by testing the sling a few times before I sew them.
I actually do like the vertical straps on the outside of my cheeks because it allows the sling to "cup" me a bit better.
I think you're right about the vertical strap in the center though. What I might do is add a horizontal strap between the two vertical straps. That might prevent my back side from pushing through the space quite as far. Even without adding any other straps, the sling is comfy and I've temporarily added a cam buckle strap for a belt until my buckles arrive Monday or Tuesday.
I also Added two vertical straps further to the outside and folded the loops over and sewed them. It's a work in progress

87a7571bb91fb13b25a962b711e948f0.jpg

35afeeea5f0f59d8400f41f9cbc71b3f.jpg

940d6e8b8e6a49b3714cafe49cd370c5.jpg

Shaun.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
I spent some time in this sling today while setting up a couple more trees with bolts/steps.
It works great while climbing and transitions easily once you're ready to sit for a while.
I didn't sit too long (maybe twenty or thirty minutes at each tree).
If I can stiffen it up like Snyper plans to do with his, then I could see using this as my primary this coming season.
Here's a cute pair I saw this morning. There's a lot of doe/fawn activity in this particular section. I was making a pretty good amount of noise but I was downwind for a change. They sneaked around me two or three times during the six hours I was in the woods today.
9b863c15f5409b75625bbfb84444ba12.jpg

The pic is from trail cam forty yards from where I noticed them watching me. They walk by that trail cam several times a day and sometimes mama licks it so I have to clean the lens

Shaun.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
I take that back.
This new sling wins the lightweight category hands down. The modified Anderson sling is seCond place. With the Ken sling third.
The Anderson sling is probably seCond place overall tied with the Ken sling. But I think that the first sling (essdub sling) is the most versatile and comfortable while still being extremely lightweight.
I used all of them today for a while just trying to see which ones did which things best.
The Essdub sling wins while setting up trees.
The modified AnderSon sling is seCond only to the unmodified Anderson sling for comfort once in position.
The Ken sling and my camo sling (essdub sling) are probably the overall winners for doing all things well.
But I think my sling is more comfy even though it's a little bit heavier than Ken sling. The extra padding makes it great once in position.

I'll keep working on these things and I'm sure there'll be many updates before deer season

Shaun.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Re: RE: Re: Bare minimum

swampsnyper said:
Keep on tinkering. You may stumble across a game changer of design that changes the saddle world.
I'll settle for having one that is very lightweight, that climbs great, and sits Comfy for hours.
Maybe the camo cloth sling with a removable single seatbelt webbing piece to put under my butt for long sits. ..
And don't worry. I have no life outside of work, garden, shooTing, climbing, hunTing. That's the way I want it. Girlfriend sometimes doesn't understand, but she'll get over it, or me. ..
So I plan to tinker everyday. As inspiration asks.
I have lots of ideas. But I'm just as willing to try the stupid ones as I am the good ones.
And

As a tribute to you, Snyper,
I am considering actually making a coonskin or probably bunny hide saddle cover for my sling

Shaun.

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
essdub said:
But I think my sling is more comfy even though it's a little bit heavier than Ken sling. The extra padding makes it great once in position.
Shaun.

I missed a step. Your minimalist saddle now has padding? Or are you referring to a different one?

I just ordered some of the heavy duty mesh along with the webbing and buckles that I've put off for weeks. It's going to start getting too hot for me to venture outdoors (yep, even in OH). So I will do some weekend afternoon projects indoors. I have two sit drags plus the mesh and webbing. I'm still not sure I can do any better than the Ken sling... that thing is nice!

essdub

Feb 22, 2015

Maustypsu said:
essdub said:
Shaun.

I missed a step. Your minimalist saddle now has padding? Or are you referring to a different one?

I just ordered some of the heavy duty mesh along with the webbing and buckles that I've put off for weeks. It's going to start getting too hot for me to venture outdoors (yep, even in OH). So I will do some weekend afternoon projects indoors. I have two sit drags plus the mesh and webbing. I'm still not sure I can do any better than the Ken sling... that thing is nice!
No the minimalist saddle is only seat belt webbing. The padded one is the "essdub sling". It is my favorite for overall comfort/sit -ability

Shaun.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Shaun, as it is, isn't that going to get pretty uncomfortable quickly with the lack of support. Basically like SS said, if you have some sort of fabric across it, it will distribute the pressure across your butt rather than on just the webbing and it should help a lot. That heavy duty mesh fabric I have is pretty light so it won't add much weight at all.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015

redsquirrel said:
Shaun, as it is, isn't that going to get pretty uncomfortable quickly with the lack of support. Basically like SS said, if you have some sort of fabric across it, it will distribute the pressure across your butt rather than on just the webbing and it should help a lot. That heavy duty mesh fabric I have is pretty light so it won't add much weight at all.
Absolutely. That was the point of my post in which I referred to the other slings. I have already added another horizontal strap in the butt area which helped a lot and will cover the sling with something (I'm seriously considering using a coonskin ) to add rigidity and a little support.I still have Some camo cloth that I used on the essdub sling, but it doesn't add much stiffening

Shaun.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com

essdub said:
redsquirrel said:
Absolutely. That was the point of my post in which I referred to the other slings. I have already added another horizontal strap in the butt area which helped a lot and will cover the sling with something (I'm seriously considering using a coonskin ) to add rigidity and a little support.I still have Some camo cloth that I used on the essdub sling, but it doesn't add much stiffening

Shaun.

Gotcha. As long as the material is there, I don't think it really needs to add much stiffening to do the job. But let us know how it goes of course.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015

swampsnyper said:
Hahaha! Excellent!
Well I did try it. And I almost like it. ..
Almost. If I wanna use it, I'll have to split it more, because it causes the minimal saddle to constrict and bunch up. Other than that, though. .. not too bad.
Lol
Can't say that I actually thought I'd do it, but hey, I'm a southern hick. I'll try anything once.

730af4ba7eb5cb7610fdeb17b12957fa.jpg
824456e1b6fe11348cd59512a060865c.jpg
3a940973834966f7e78e24308513d130.jpg
cc17eefc48f19f127d7cae2d484715cb.jpg
d2577fd995599e248712d37ed4131c33.jpg
140620aaca9da120f5677cc4b4776764.jpg
6fb60a44748dec1a5a4fe70d6a08e57f.jpg

ec9dd00404a4ee6a2c877f3a2b91ac47.jpg
ef61bb7a23ef7cc45243c18036887122.jpg
5f63de76957617d1cf4f295fd1b9b535.jpg

Shaun.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
If I'm wearing a leafy suit or 3d Asat suit, I wonder if the"natural camo"of this saddle skin will help or hurt my chances of being identified as a threat. ..

It seems plausible that it could help and the game just think my ass is a coon making noise or motion.

I'm looking for a reason not to view this as anything other than what it was: just a silly project- a novelty item. Not sure where I stand on this
Shaun.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015

swampsnyper said:
Leave the tail hanging and if a deer locks onto you, just shake the tail! Lmao!!!
That's an over exaggerated example of what in talking about.
While I wouldn't recommend that exactly, the saddle cover does look sorta natural. I'm not sold on this saddle skin, but I'm not convinced it will be bad either. Looking for evidence to sway me one direction or another
And I see coons in the same photos as deer at night all the time here.

Shaun.