• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best carabiner for tree rope?

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Hey guys I was just wondering what those of you who have made their own tree ropes are using as a carabiner? I was planning on making my own tree rope but after pricing it out it comes pretty close to what NT is asking for their 12ft tree rope. Any advice or options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Roger

I made a linemans belt from yale bandit, samson prusik cord, cordura chafe sleeve, and an omega standard D that was about $10 cheaper if bought from new trbie, shipped, from gear from treestuff.com. Where I saved money on the linemans belt was by not using an auto-locking caribineer and a heavy-duty chaffe sleeve. Instead I ordered a cordura chafe sleeve(4ft @ $0.75) and on omega D rated to 5500lbs($10). I probably saved $5-10, maybe more, on shipping too.

I have the 12ft of New Tribe tree strap and I honestly wish I had gotten the shorter length. I haven't hunted out of a tree yet where I need that much rope. I usually have what seems like in excess of 6ft each time I tie off. It's extra bulk and the excess rope hanging down is something else to deal with while in the tree. I wouldn't substitute the caribineer they use for a different one though because I like the shape of the biner and that it is auto locking.

Couple of things though...

Plan on spending an hour or two tying knots. They're not difficult to tie but how much rope you will use to tie them will be deceiving.

You will use a considerable amount of rope (assuming you're using yale bandit 11mm) to tie your knots figure 8 or figure 8 on a bight, along with stopper knots. So if you order 12ft of rope your tree strap, after tying off all the knots, is not going to be 12ft.

I ordered 6ft of samson prusik cord and it is about the perfect length of accessory cord for the blakes hitch + carbineer tied with a figure 8 on a bight with stopper knots on each end... but you will be tying off those stopper knots tight. Maybe you want to get a foot extra unless, like me, you wanted to spend an hour or so tying and re-tying knots until you aren't short changed.

I would probably order a auto-locking caribineer for your tree strap, although you could probably get by with a regular caribineer (like the omega D). This is probably the most expensive part of assembling your own tree strap, as your auto-locking caribineer is probably going to be north of $20+ in and of itself.

I tried to match the strength of each rope and piece of hardware to what new tribe said they were using on their website.

Hi Derek,

I was thinking of making my own but the problem is using a similar carabiner to the one that NT sells cost around 30 dollars and by the time you add up the rope and carabiner plus shipping it's pretty close to what they charge if not more. What size trees do you normally setup in that you have a lot of excess rope hanging down and what would you do if you had to hunt from a larger tree? Also are you using a long bridge or a short one? I plan on keeping mine right at 24", that is what red squirrel had his set at and I really liked it. The carabiner I was looking at was one by SMC double auto locking and rated at 40 KN for 35 dollars, 20 foot of Yale Bandit 11mm rope for 16.60, plus shipping which is another 12.60 it comes to 64.20 Wesspur vs 62.36 from NT.

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
Hi Derek,

I was thinking of making my own but the problem is using a similar carabiner to the one that NT sells cost around 30 dollars and by the time you add up the rope and carabiner plus shipping it's pretty close to what they charge if not more. What size trees do you normally setup in that you have a lot of excess rope hanging down and what would you do if you had to hunt from a larger tree? Also are you using a long bridge or a short one? I plan on keeping mine right at 24", that is what red squirrel had his set at and I really liked it. The carabiner I was looking at was one by SMC double auto locking and rated at 40 KN for 35 dollars, 20 foot of Yale Bandit 11mm rope for 16.60, plus shipping which is another 12.60 it comes to 64.20 Wesspur vs 62.36 from NT.

Roger

Roger,

That's why I went with a omega standard D, which was far cheaper than the locking biners, for my linemans belt - because I felt that I would not be using the linemans belt for longer periods of time, and I wanted the disconnect to be quicker than a threaded or locking biner.

I haven't hunted out of my aero hunter evolution yet, but I have not modified the stock bridge. I have practiced from it several times and have liked that it was pretty easy to adjust length even when hanging from the tree... so, not sure if that answers your question or not.

I've mostly been hunting out of smaller DIA trees - younger red oak, elm, maple, and a couple of odd chestnut trees. I'd say the average DIA is 16-18 in on the trees. The two trees I have prepped have split trunks, and the one is probably more like 12-14 in. DIA. Again, there seems to be a lot of excess rope with trees of this DIA.

The largest tree I hunted out of was a red oak with probably a 30-34 in DIA. My lone wolf sticks just barely wrapped around it. But this was before I had my new tribe tree strap.

If it's a large DIA tree I can prep with screw-in steps, rather than use strap-on sticks, I would probably benefit from a longer rope... but this has not been the case for me yet. I guess it depends on your needs. If you plan on hunting from very large DIA trees, then a longer strap is probably a good idea.

If the math doesn't add up then you might as well just get the new tribe one. It uses the same materials and is already assembled. Also, try treestuff.com. Their prices on yale bandit and accessory cord are slightly better than wesspur.com.

Derek,

Yes the rope is slightly cheaper at Tree Stuff but they don't carry the same carabiner and after putting all the stuff in the cart at Wesspur the carabiner is out of stock and on back order so it looks like I'm going to go with the NT tree rope. Thanks for all your help and input I really appreciate it.

Roger

d_rek

are you wrapping the tree strap around the tree once or twice? The reason they made the longer rope available is because the new tribe instructions tell you to wrap it around the tree twice. This is not possible on trees greater than about 12 inches. If you are only wrapping it around once, it will work on trees that are a bit larger (but the instructions recommend wrapping it twice). Over the summer I set up a tree that was maybe 24 inches in diameter and I could not even use the original tree strap because it was not long enough.

redsquirrel said:
d_rek

are you wrapping the tree strap around the tree once or twice? The reason they made the longer rope available is because the new tribe instructions tell you to wrap it around the tree twice. This is not possible on trees greater than about 12 inches. If you are only wrapping it around once, it will work on trees that are a bit larger (but the instructions recommend wrapping it twice). Over the summer I set up a tree that was maybe 24 inches in diameter and I could not even use the original tree strap because it was not long enough.

Just once, and then I thread the Biner and Blake's hitch back through the loop for a half hitch knot. Probably why I'm ending up with so much excess lol

But it's a lot easier than trying to wrap the rope twice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_rek said:
redsquirrel said:
d_rek

Just once, and then I thread the Biner and Blake's hitch back through the loop for a half hitch knot. Probably why I'm ending up with so much excess lol

But it's a lot easier than trying to wrap the rope twice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is why. If you tried using the shorter strap on the tree you referred to for your sticks, it won't be long enough. (This is why I am using my custom web strap, because it is long enough for any tree, but not bulky at all).

Scott & Derek,

For some of the permanent setups on private land I may even use the HS tree straps that are currently there and just clip the tree rope to them or the safety line that is also there. I don't have to worry about anyone taking my stuff so it's not a big deal to leave something like that for the whole season. I think I would need the longer tree rope for some areas because the trees are pretty large in diameter.

I just thought I could save some money and learn something by making my own, now I realize it's more of a learning or customizing thing than a money saver. Also since I just got the saddle I'm still in the learning and discovery phase and it will take some time for me to find what system and equipment fits my hunting style the best. Thanks for all the info and input it is greatly appreciated!

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
Scott & Derek,
For some of the permanent setups on private land I may even use the HS tree straps that are currently there and just clip the tree rope to them or the safety line that is also there.
Roger
Roger-Be careful doing that.. as that equipment is not made for hanging from full time.

Thanks Scott you are right they are made to stop you in the event of a fall and not to hang from I didn't even think about that. My tree rope is being shipped already so I should get it by next week and I should be set.

Roger

Back