• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Pack for Saddle Hunting

TimK

Hey guys,

I'm new to saddle hunting, and completely switching over all of my gear from being a preset stand, or hang on stand hunter, to being a mobile hunter. I've purchased Wild Edge Stepps and now I'm looking into Pack options. Wondering if any of you have a suggestion? I've been using my Mystery Ranch Pintler pack, but I feel it's too big, and now I won't be strapping on sticks or a stand, so I don't need something quite so large. Also, I want to limit my silhouette in the tree so I'm looking for something smaller. The two I've looked at is the ASAT Coyote Fanny Pack, and the KUIU Venture 1800. Mystery Ranch makes the treehouse but it's a lot of $$. Just looking for thoughts, since I live in the middle of nowhere all my purchases are online, and I really don't get the opportunity to look at things in person. Thanks a lot!

to the Kuiu choice. Also take a look at the Badlands super day works great as long as you aren’t packing the house with u to the woods. Been using this model since it’s inception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread will likely be moved from Classifides, but I’m interested in people’s thoughts on this. Though to search for because of the general terms.

I’m sure it comes down to whatever your hunting situation is, but definitely interested in what others have found.

I just bought a Tenzing tz 1200 off the classifieds here. Looking forward to trying it out. The Predator platform will fit perfectly in the front pouch with easy access for removal when its ready to set.

I've been struggling to figure out a good pack situation for two years. A couple of months ago I bought a Cabela's fanny pack from a member on here. I only have a few hunts with it but, the fanny pack is working really well for me so far. I'm liking it much better than a full pack.

Horn hunter G3 tree stand pack. It can carry all the saddle gear needed inside and allow for a bow to be attached which is nice for walking in and out in the dark.

I just went through this as well same situation.. I bought the alps trailblazer in Amazon it was $60 bucks and I figured if I didn’t like it I will just use it for scouting or give it to my son. It came in this week and Im still waiting on my saddle. However, I like that the bag is smaller and I will be able to hang it in a tree, it doesn’t have the big waist belt like the badlands but does offer a strap you can tighten up... I hunt mostly private but have some lightly pressured public close to my house I plan to hunt.. the one thing I’ve noticed about this pack is that my stock length lonewolfs are too long to pack.. I plan on cutting them to 24” and then using my stick quiver to connect my predator and sticks together then attaching them to the bag.. if you want pictures I can send ya some

[Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
This thread will likely be moved from Classifides, but I’m interested in people’s thoughts on this. Though to search for because of the general terms.

I’m sure it comes down to whatever your hunting situation is, but definitely interested in what others have found.

Yeah, sorry for posting it in classifieds, that was a "new user" mistake. I'm enjoying checking out your guy's setups though, thank you for your input!

I just went through this as well same situation.. I bought the alps trailblazer in Amazon it was $60 bucks and I figured if I didn’t like it I will just use it for scouting or give it to my son. It came in this week and Im still waiting on my saddle. However, I like that the bag is smaller and I will be able to hang it in a tree, it doesn’t have the big waist belt like the badlands but does offer a strap you can tighten up... I hunt mostly private but have some lightly pressured public close to my house I plan to hunt.. the one thing I’ve noticed about this pack is that my stock length lonewolfs are too long to pack.. I plan on cutting them to 24” and then using my stick quiver to connect my predator and sticks together then attaching them to the bag.. if you want pictures I can send ya some

Do you think you could strap full length LF sticks to the center of the trailblazer pack? I looked at it on Amazon and am not sure if there is enough strap to go around the stack of sticks. Looks like a nice pack for a good price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you think you could strap full length LF sticks to the center of the trailblazer pack? I looked at it on Amazon and am not sure if there is enough strap to go around the stack of sticks. Looks like a nice pack for a good price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I will post some pics tomorrow. I only messed with it for a short time but right now I have them stacked two on each side and they are tight and would carry well. However the bottom strap doesn’t have a clip to take it apart so u have to fish the stand offs through. It doesn’t get tight enough for just sticks in the straps in back with sticks laying flat. I figure on the stick quiver with predator it should fit very nice.. I didn’t like the length of them hanging down or up. I tried the rifle sling with the sticks and it seemed too low. Still need to mess around with them... I plan on modifying my sticks to imitate the beast sticks regardless. So that should help.

IMG_2952.jpgIMG_2953.jpgIMG_2954.jpgIMG_2955.jpgIMG_2959.jpgIMG_2960.jpg

Here are some pics I like it with the stick quiver then I will attach my predator to that. If u have any questions or what to see anything else let me know at 24” the sticks would be perfect for pack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184QXP6M/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_gJLmU3NvBw5vH

Hope that link works....
Just bought this pack off of amazon for $35. Zipper pulls were metal and noisy so they got cut and replaced with orange paracord. Gear ties will hold my bow as I climb.

Still waiting on my predator and kestrel, but both should fit nicely in the pack. Climbing method and cold weather clothes will strap to outside. Other small pockets for kill kit and some other misc. gear.

ea9357eabbe94cd2ea2db482e2f23a29.jpg

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

@Letemgrowitllshow, nice find at 35 bucks! Is that a sling pack or reg straps?

I also have an Alps Pathfinder that I like very much. Has ability to haul some meat, be a backpack, be a big waist pack, it’s versatile. Also I think @kyler1945 did an excellent mod for carrying Wild Edge steps.

@Letemgrowitllshow, nice find at 35 bucks! Is that a sling pack or reg straps?

I also have an Alps Pathfinder that I like very much. Has ability to haul some meat, be a backpack, be a big waist pack, it’s versatile. Also I think @kyler1945 did an excellent mod for carrying Wild Edge steps.

Its got regular straps. @Guide2Gear shared it in the "Pack for Carrying Predator" thread

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Will you be packing out the animal or dragging?

Well some of each actually. I have my Mystery Ranch Pinter for packing so I thought I’d get a more simple day pack for close to home hunts. The Pinter is what I take for out west hunts. I’m in Northern MN close to home for bow season. I do like the MR pop up 18 though!

Back