• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big guys and sit drags

Bubbz00

any big dudes out there using a sit drag (280-300). I see it has a 400 pound rating. Also does anyone use it alone or does everyone have some sort of waist/linemans belt setup. I have a guidos web and really like it but want something small and light for the quick two hour hunts.

any big dudes out there using a sit drag (280-300). I see it has a 400 pound rating. Also does anyone use it alone or does everyone have some sort of waist/linemans belt setup. I have a guidos web and really like it but want something small and light for the quick two hour hunts.
I'm 6'3 250lbs and hunted sit drag all last season. It's OK stock but can be tight on the side of your hip after long sits. I used a RC(rock climbing) harness as an additional safety and climbed with a custom llinesman's belt I made from an extra tree harness that came with a stand. Also added foam padding to line the seat. Very comfortable after adding the padding and once bridge length was adjusted to my comfort. Some people might only use the sit drag but I strongly recommend a harness. They are not expensive, mine was 30$ and super light, barely know it's there but will be thankful when you need it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm 6'3 250lbs and hunted sit drag all last season. It's OK stock but can be tight on the side of your hip after long sits. I used a RC(rock climbing) harness as an additional safety and climbed with a custom llinesman's belt I made from an extra tree harness that came with a stand. Also added foam padding to line the seat. Very comfortable after adding the padding and once bridge length was adjusted to my comfort. Some people might only use the sit drag but I strongly recommend a harness. They are not expensive, mine was 30$ and super light, barely know it's there but will be thankful when you need it.

Is the RC harness mainly meant for something to hook your linemans belt to for climbing or do you always have the linemans belt connected while at hunting height?

Some are comfortable using the SD without additional safety belts. I'm not yet in that camp and I weigh quite a bit less than you. I have a new SD and its tag says 300 pounds weight limit. However, you have to remember that is not a safety rating. When I'm up in a tree 20 feet, I just can't see taking unnecessary risks that may compromise my safety. I will likely use my SD in conjunction with a rock climbing harness.

Remember the sit and drag is not approved for use off of the ground. If you go that route I'd strongly recommend using a harness and a backup. You would not only be using it for a lineman's belt, you would be hooking the end of your tether in in case the sit and drag were to fail.

I hunt from a different homemade saddle so take this for what it is worth.
I just got on board with amsteel bridges and bought some 1/4" for the bridge and 1/8" to make whoopi slings for a homegrown TRX exercise device. With the leftover 1/8" I made a fixed "bridge" that runs long the underside of my saddle. If my sewing gives way, I will be okay because I have amsteel blue on both sides of me, but it will be time to depart the tree at that point because I am sure my scent abatement process will have (literally) $h!t my pants...

I write this to say if you are not feeling safe in your SD, you have options to reinforce it.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Yeah and the black diamond momentum is only around 40$and you barely know it's there

Yeah but harnesses take the fun out of wondering if your 1/8" just-learned-how-to-splice back up works!

In truth, I way overbuild stuff.

Despite that, those harnesses are a good idea for any diy saddle.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

073b3b8af6553fa1e62b373efeabfbda.jpg

I have this one caught it on sale for $26.... it's pretty much as basic as a harness gets but it's light, safe, and when I'm in my sit drag I can't even tell I have it on..... I weigh 245ish and didn't feel comfortable just using the sit drag alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to have some kind of backup to the sit drag. Some do not just like some will cut off the leg straps and loosen the waist belt on the new kestrel when they get setup.
A rock harness is the easiest safest most logical solution. You can hook the end of your tether to the belay loop to the end of your tether and leave just enough slack to be able to rotate to shoot.
That said if your 280+ your going to have a difficult time finding a ultralight rock harness that will fit. Unless you are like 7 feet tall and 280. I don't blame the harness companies because I have never seen a 280+ guy climb a rock wall. I have seen the seatbelt material type harnesses and they will work but they aren't as compact. I went with a riggers belt. I have a harness and tried a couple on all were a no go.
With my setup I am depending on the sit drag until I get tethered in then I have the riggers belt as backup.
If you can get a rock harness that fits you should wear it. If not you should have some form of backup. If I were setting up a new sit drag today I would sew the loops on the end. Then see belt loops on the inside stopping about six inches from each end and thread a treehopper linesmans belt through the belt loops. A fixed bridge out of amsteel. Then a small pouch for my tether. Once I got to height I would hook sit drag into tether then adjust linesmans rope down to a short bridge and stick the tail end in the pouch the tether was in.

Back