• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Blaze Orange Vest Recommendations for Whitetails?

TNbowhunter

I hate using cheapo blaze orange vests when rifle or muzzleloader hunting (no upland game), and I'm looking to upgrade this year. Does anyone have one you just love (or hate) that might provide some guidance here? I've compiled a list of possibilities I've found, which includes:

High-end softshell vests:
  1. First Lite Catalyst Vest - $112 - On sale right now (down from $140). Probably a great vest, but carries the First Lite price tag...
  2. Orvis Upland Hunting Softshell Vest - $129 - Love every piece of Orvis clothing I own, but they price their stuff high...
  3. Kuiu Guide DCS Vest - $159 - Looks awesome, great features, but $159 for a blaze orange vest feels like madness.
Nice mid-range vests:
  1. King's Camo Men's Softshell Hunting Vest - $63 - This looks comparable to the high-end softshells but without the high-end price tag. Wonder if it's poorly made or just doesn't have the big-name-brand mark-up that First Lite, Orvis, and Kuiu all do...https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-blaze-pro-guide-ii-vest-for-men
  2. Cabela's Blaze Pro Guide II Vest - $80 - Decent, probably overpriced for what it is.
Not really considering (overpriced):
  1. Sitka Ballistic Vest - $100 - Read a review about it holding stink, and it's also the smallest and least full-featured.
  2. Sitka Stratus Vest - $239 - Highest price, but probably not a great value.

What am I missing? Any thoughts/recommendations for or against on any of these?

Check eBay for items like this. Not sure what size you are.

Kuiu Peleton vest comes in blaze, cheaper than guide vest, also windproof.
Rivers west vest also comes in orange.

I've used a cabelas vest for yrs w/front and inside pockets and game bag but I really like a $4 mesh cheap one, just enough to be legal and not so bulky and big.

I’ve used a blaze camo Cabela’s guide vest for years. This was back when they made/sourced better clothing and gear. If I ever have to upgrade I’d look at a forester’s style vest from JimJem or something similar.

I have an old thick cotton one from LL Bean. I hope to take it to my grave.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-102532.png
    Screenshot_20221103-102532.png
    877.2 KB · Views: 42
I have a cheap Walmart vest I throw on over top when orange is needed. Hadn't out a lot of thought into actual orange clothing, but some of these options look nice...

Since I switched from using a backpack to a vest that had pouches I needed to reach into regularly, wearing my normal mesh orange vest over the top wasn't gonna work for me anymore. I started using safety sleeves...they are same material as the lightweight neck gaiters. Just pull it on over the top of ur outer layer.....1 sleeve and a orange hat. We are required to wear 500sq inches....I don't know how many square inches that a sleeve and hat covers but no fwc officers has ever questioned me....3 pack for 15 bucks if I remember correctly

Back