Bow hanger "cam it" copy

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Sgirdham, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Sgirdham

Sgirdham New Member

I am a diy kinda guy at heart but due to limited time I tend to buy products that are available. I am new to saddle hunting and fairly new to public land hunting so my gear is ever evolving. I liked the idea of the cam it but when I searched online it seems that they are no longer available for purchase anywhere. I decided to take my favorite design, hawk, screw in style bow hanger and modify it similar to a cam it. I haven't tested it yet but I wanted to share. If the aluminum tube on the hawk doesn't hold up I may have to make it steel tube but I liked the weight saving idea. Any negatives that I'm missing?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quadro, Chistavocat, DaveH and 2 others like this.
  2. ImThere

ImThere Well-Known Member

Looks nice

3. Sgirdham

Sgirdham New Member

Thanks, I only have an angle grinder and a Hobart 140 mig welder but I make due. If I had machine shop access like when I was in the Navy it would look much better.

4. Jordan

Jordan Member

That’s awesome!

~Hoyt Satori & Buffalo-Vortex Optics-Sitka Gear-Aero Hunter Kestrel~

Sgirdham likes this.
  5. bowhunter15

bowhunter15 Active Member

I think I went through the same thought process as you regarding the cam-it but didn't actually build anything. One thing to think about, is that with a saddle, you don't necessarily need as much separation of the bow from the tree. So I've just started using a Lone Wolf utility belt style strap for handing the bow, which is lighter than a metal option.

That said, looking at your design, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well as the original cam-it. Looks pretty good actually.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sgirdham likes this.
  6. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree. I just use these small accessory hooks to hang my bow on all trees. I put one in plastimorph to create a strap on holder too. This works great and I've been using them like this a long time.
    [​IMG]
    strap on bow holder.jpg

Sgirdham and lpv77 like this.
  7. Travislsullivan

Pretty awesome idea. I have used what Red mentioned earleir and it was perfect for my recurve

8. Sgirdham

Sgirdham New Member

I should also say that I film my hunts and need the bow away from the tree. I use a fourth arrow arm and I am still playing with the setup. Anyway, having my bow farther from the tree is preferred.