• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Length

DwadeCham

So I am having some accuracy problems and they aren't all because of me. Guys at the bow shop think my bow is too small. And I knew it was. But it was free so I thought I would try it and see if I liked bow hunting. Let's just say that I do.

The problem is I have a 31.6 draw length which I based off of a 79 inch wingspan divided by 2.5. Does that sound about right? Next question is does anyone know of a bow that is adjustable to 31-32 draw length that doesn't cost $1000?

The bow I have been shooting is maxed at 29" so I am almost 3 inches short. I think this is contributing to at least some of my accuracy problems.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert but that is a very long draw length. Were you measured by anyone at your local archery shop?

I'm not an expert but that is a very long draw length. Were you measured by anyone at your local archery shop?
No. They guessed my wingspan to be 6'8" and thought I would need 32" draw. But my wife measured 6'7". I'm 6'6" tall so it makes sense to me. Hard to find anything out there though.

I am going to another archery shop this week just to confirm. But I am really tall and have long arms.

I see!!! Yes it sounds likely if you are 6'6. Try this to get a rough measurement...... Make a fist with which ever hand you hold your bow with. Turn your body perpendicular to the wall and place your fist against the wall. Now turn your head and face your fist. Measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth on your outer cheek

If you measure your wingspan tip to tip in inches divide by 2.5 this will be your daw lenght that you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If you measure your wingspan tip to tip in inches divide by 2.5 this will be your daw lenght that you need.

That's where I came up with the 31.6".

For the most part longer ATA bows like 34 inch and up will be able to adjust to longer draw length whether by modules or cam change

Don't buy from an archery shop that guesses! :)

Does your draw FEEL short? That's what matters. But I shoot recurve and longbows so it's all by feel.​
I think if we were seriously talking about a purchase they would have measured but you're right.

I pulled one that was around 31 something and it did feel more natural and stable.

Season ends at the end of Feb here so I may just wait until then anyway. But I have struggled with accuracy and I don't think it's all my skill. Obviously I can always improve. Missed one deer low and hit one yesterday in the spine. Recovered him though.

Don't buy from an archery shop that guesses! :)

Does your draw FEEL short? That's what matters. But I shoot recurve and longbows so it's all by feel.​
And I guess to be fair they do other stuff than just archery. I am going to an archery only place this week sometime and check out my options.

The draw length matters. With your wingspan there is no way yiu can shoot with proper form with a 29 " draw lenght bow. On the lighter side if you could draw that bow with your teeth you would have more consistant form and be able to hold your favorite beverage or a camera with the dree hand :)

For the most part longer ATA bows like 34 inch and up will be able to adjust to longer draw length whether by modules or cam change

What is ATA?

ATA is measurement from center to center of the cam axles

The shorter the ATA of a bow the steeper the string pitch which in turn makes it hard to get a short ATA bow to draw beyond 31"

Measuring wingspan is a guess as it doesn't work for everybody. Also your stance whether open or closed will have an affect. Release and d-loop lengths can also be tweaked to help fit you to the bow. Find a real shop, plenty of guys shooting with 32" draw length.

Measuring wingspan is a guess as it doesn't work for everybody. Also your stance whether open or closed will have an affect. Release and d-loop lengths can also be tweaked to help fit you to the bow. Find a real shop, plenty of guys shooting with 32" draw length.
Thanks. I have a good place to go and I'm going to make it over there tomorrow.

Your draw length is super crucial for excuting and developing proper form which leads to accuracy. I would second the statement someone made as far as a shop guessing your draw length. Although as you begin to shoot more and more your draw length can change but it should not be drastic. This is primarily due to being more relaxed and settling in to shooting. They are starting to make more and more bows that will accommodate the draw lengths of you monster sized guys lol. I would also say it will be hard pressed to find something not $900 or more. Bows in this length are usually special order. With all that being said I am in no position to tell another man what to spend but what I tell guys who have gone the cheaper route. I always tell newbies to archery start inexpensive and once the bug bites and you become addicted invest in quality gear that matches and suits you as an archer. I will also say the cost does not dictate quality by any means but archery does have a cost and can be as high as your willing to spend. The best thing is find a reputable shop with trusted archery techs. Research bows that meet your initial specs. Also remember that alot of companies can make a special order however again it will cost $$. I hope this helps in your search and provides some guidance moving forward.

I have found one at a local outdoor store. Can't remember the model but it's a Bear. One goes to 31.5 and one to 32. Both are $399.

Back