• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Practice Time

Autumnrider

Got outside just a few minutes ago. Shot 3 arrows at 75.....GROUPING!!!!
c4d9f532a8569a5de2b6a30865800b03.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't practice out past 50 much any more things get blurry. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't practice out past 50 much any more things get blurry. Lol

I still like shooting long range cause if my forms not good, i know it.
Want to shoot 100 but the field across road needs bush hogged and im not wading through the ticks and chiggers

I did some shooting at 60 today. That's as far as my nearby range goes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I still like shooting long range cause if my forms not good, i know it.
Want to shoot 100 but the field across road needs bush hogged and im not wading through the ticks and chiggers

Seed ticks!!! Not entirely certain God didn't make a mistake with those little monsters.

Seed ticks!!! Not entirely certain God didn't make a mistake with those little monsters.

I'm not so sure about the seed ticks but would absolutely agree that chiggers were a mistake. What unholy hell they unleash on a person!!! I'm short walking in tall grass gets them where you don't want them. I promise.
Permethrin. And lots of it. I use it in all my out side hunting/ fishing/ yard working clothes

Last edited:
Nice shooting!! I love to shoot longe range as well. Practicing out that far really tests your skills ensuring that form and shot execution are as perfect as possible. That is what I believe allows an archers skills to take height to new levels and will help greatly when in the deer woods at much closer distances.

Y'all are making me look bad! If I go for distance, it is 20 to 30 yards. (Traditional gear really limits your distance!) But I did take a coyote at 23 yards last year with it!

I might pull out the old compound this year for fun and see how she shoots.

I shoot a 43# recurve at my draw length with pretty heavy arrows.
I have a 32 yard point of aim.
For me to shoot out to 75 yards with this set up, the neighbors would think I was aiming at the eclipsed sun!

My target rig, now that is a different story with MUCH lighter arrows!

Today I was able to hit the smallest dots (about1.5") on a big block target three times ina row with three different arrows at a measured 20 yard range with my hunting recurve. I was feeling on top of the world - and then you post this 75 yard group...

Dandgum it.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that I have a thin piece of white electrical tape on my riser that corresponds with my 20 yard gap.
It is great, for those that shoot single string bows and dont cant their bow, it is worth trying.

For me to shoot out to 75 yards with this set up, the neighbors would think I was aiming at the eclipsed sun!

Today I was able to hit the smallest dots (about1.5") on a big block target three times ina row with three different arrows at a measured 20 yard range with my hunting recurve. I was feeling on top of the world - and then you post this 75 yard group...

Dandgum it.

I am with you! I shoot a longbow but my comfort range is 15 yards and in for deer and 20 yards on hogs. (Deer just move to fast for my confidence with my setup.)

Dandgum it.

I could not hit a 4'x4' target at 20 yrd with a one stringer. This year, I even thought about buying a one stringer to try and hunt with. Talked out of it, by me.

Shooting a trad bow is like throwing darts or pitching horseshoes. It's natural. If you aren't hitting a 4'x4' target I'd bet it has waaaay more to do with the arrow setup. I'm 41, been shooting a bow since about 12 or 13. I never shot a true "Robin Hood" until I switched to a trad bow. I did it the first two weeks and multiple times since. The mind and body are pretty amazing when given the right tools.

Y'all are making me look bad! If I go for distance, it is 20 to 30 yards. (Traditional gear really limits your distance!) But I did take a coyote at 23 yards last year with it!

I might pull out the old compound this year for fun and see how she shoots.

It's hard to go back. I take the compound out and wipe the dust off but it just doesn't feel right and isn't fun to shoot, so back in the closet it goes.

It's hard to go back. I take the compound out and wipe the dust off but it just doesn't feel right and isn't fun to shoot, so back in the closet it goes.
It is funny you say this. I have shot the compound at a target 2x in 2 years and have not hunted with it in the past 2 years. I do enjoy the longbow a lot. Although I have cut my lethal distance in half, I cannot put it down. (Even though my wife got a nice 9 point buck last year and I got nada...) I still enjoyed every hunt and every time I started to draw, my heart still raced a million miles per hour!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I respect you one string guys. I picked up a longbow about a year ago to try. It totally humbled me! Lol I am pretty good with my training wheels but in the future im probably gonna buy something in the traditional category!!

Back