• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

bridge?? why not tubular webbing??

fauxfly

So just starting to look into hunting this way - have a pair of new Klein spikes for this style of climbing/hunting - I would like to sew my own equipment - pretty familiar with this type of thing - I've already sewn several items for hunting and fishing -

My question is this - why the fondness of that Amsteel rope - I've worked with it in the past and although its ridiculous strong - I don't think its easy to knot, its kind of slippery also.

Why not mil spec tubular webbing - maybe with a steel link in the web to hold an adjustment after your up the tree and setting up??

Am I missing something??

size, weight, personal preference - in addition guys seem to like how well it slides through a carabiner - I personally use a webbing bridge and I'm happy with it - still plenty light and compact and still slides through easily. Oh I'm no amsteel expert, but have read enough posts about it that I do know amsteel should be spliced not knotted - I'm testing with it now

they don't tie knots with amsteel, they splice it

id say there is no advantage one over the other....webbing is easier to tie a loop?

really though, you cant use a ropeman with either....junk ;)

Amsteel is slim, sleek and sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it for my bridge. incredibly small, easy to splice (no to Knots). There are a ton of people using Webbing I haven't got around to convincing them all to switch yet.

Thanks guys - that's kind what I was expecting - this saddle hunting stuff sure is an interesting was to go about the sport of bow hunting.

This is a very savvy community - very glad I stumbled on to this - will post my progress and DIY things as they progress - Thanks again

Nothing wrong with webbing. Webbing makes a great bridge. If that's what you like, go for it.

Here's why you shouldn't overlook Amsteel:
It's stronger than other bridge material.
It's less bulky than anything else.
It's lighter than other options
It's spliced so it's cleaner and requires less material than anything else.
Splicing reduces strength by ~10% while a knot reduces strength by 30%-50%
It's slippery so it slides easily through any carabiner

Webbing is a really good option as well, but IMO, Amsteel is the cat's pajamas.

I just switched from tubular webbing to amsteel and I’m a big fan of the amsteel. The tubular webbing isn’t hard to tie, but nothing beats a fixed amsteel bridge spliced on.

And then, there is all the benefits G2 posted above :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw on Amazon today that dyneema 1/4 rope can be had cheaper than amsteel. Supposedly it's the same sk75 material. Does anyone know if there's a functional difference? I googled for a bit but didn't spot anything conclusive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I saw on Amazon today that dyneema 1/4 rope can be had cheaper than amsteel. Supposedly it's the same sk75 material. Does anyone know if there's a functional difference? I googled for a bit but didn't spot anything conclusive.

probably no difference...just amsteel knockoff which was bound to happen, not that amsteel was that expensive though

Webbing under load plus sharp objects equals crikey. I used to run a lonewolf stick strap as a lineman's belt. It worked great until I slipped and the edge of a step caught the webbing.I'm still here and posting, but by a tether--in a split second the step cut more than halfway through the strap. A rope might have fared much better in that scenario, I think. I know a bridge is a different deal, but I like my broadheads sharp and my bridge rope. I'd go with amsteel too. Webbing just scares me.

The only thing I would verify is that the weave patterns are the same... that way, you don’t have to learn (or pioneer) a different splicing technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webbing under load plus sharp objects equals crikey. I used to run a lonewolf stick strap as a lineman's belt. It worked great until I slipped and the edge of a step caught the webbing.I'm still here and posting, but by a tether--in a split second the step cut more than halfway through the strap. A rope might have fared much better in that scenario, I think. I know a bridge is a different deal, but I like my broadheads sharp and my bridge rope. I'd go with amsteel too. Webbing just scares me.

This has me thinking to switch now, I run a lone wolf strap as a lineman’s belt and as an adjustable bridge. Works great for me but being safer is always desirable.

This has me thinking to switch now, I run a lone wolf strap as a lineman’s belt and as an adjustable bridge. Works great for me but being safer is always desirable.

I loved it as a lineman's belt until it scared the bajeezus out of me. I slipped off a step fell down about 2 feet and slammed the lone wolf stick and tree with my chest while the strap got caught on the right side step. Bruised the heck out of my chest but when I saw the torn webbing I realized how lucky I was. It would have been about a 13 ft fall.

I loved it as a lineman's belt until it scared the bajeezus out of me. I slipped off a step fell down about 2 feet and slammed the lone wolf stick and tree with my chest while the strap got caught on the right side step. Bruised the heck out of my chest but when I saw the torn webbing I realized how lucky I was. It would have been about a 13 ft fall.

Wow! Eye opener!!! And that’s good tough tubular climb spec webbing also. I bet a rope would have been better, not sure about amsteel in that situation. I’ve always only had a rope linemans belt because it’s an abrasive application. I’ve tried everything for bridges. I like the cleanliness of no knots on an amsteel bridge currently.

And that’s good tough tubular climb spec webbing also.
It is definitely good tough webbing, but the lone wolf straps aren't tubular. Compare them to some of the bluewater tubular webbing you can get at REI and you'll see the difference. I suspect a piece of tubular would have held up better. I have never liked the use of a lone wolf strap for a lineman's belt though. My lineman's belt see's so much wear and tear, I like having a nice piece of rope with a protective sheath on it.

It is definitely good tough webbing, but the lone wolf straps aren't tubular. Compare them to some of the bluewater tubular webbing you can get at REI and you'll see the difference. I suspect a piece of tubular would have held up better. I have never liked the use of a lone wolf strap for a lineman's belt though. My lineman's belt see's so much wear and tear, I like having a nice piece of rope with a protective sheath on it.

I have some of the blue water climb spec tubular webbing. I thought I read here somewhere that that is what the LoneWolf straps are made of. I never cut one to see. Just assumed.

Back