• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Burned Out

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
I took almost the entire month of November often in 100 hard for 23 days straight… yesterday and today I just could not force myself to get out there. I have had numerous opportunities at some really quality bucks but so far I've only capitalized and one doe and 1 smaller 8 from the ground. need some motivation as I know the rut is in full swing right now....

I took almost the entire month of November often in 100 hard for 23 days straight… yesterday and today I just could not force myself to get out there. I have had numerous opportunities at some really quality bucks but so far I've only capitalized and one doe and 1 smaller 8 from the ground. need some motivation as I know the rut is in full swing right now....
I know how you feel. The few things that keep me motivated are checking my cameras and a little in season scouting. Sometimes I take my 2 dogs with me for a good run...they can't wait till the seasons over so they can chase squirrels everyday. Another thing I do is an equipment check. Do some target shooting, wash my clothes and packs, and go to the sporting goods store for something new. I also have just slept in and hunted the evening.
Good luck hunting,
Bowhunterchuck

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I feel ya.. Having a hard time myself and I havent even gotten out that much.
Go look at your freezer, is it full? :rolleyes:

I feel ya.. Having a hard time myself and I havent even gotten out that much.
Go look at your freezer, is it full? :rolleyes:
Will be picking up deer number 5 next weekend....where to put it?
Do I really need to get up at 5am tomorrow morning...yes I do !! Rut, rut, and rut. 3 good reasons !!
b142fba91e56e499579ef253e2c2aa00.jpg

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

lol.... some of you have no idea thaty my day looks like. with the nearest, decent public land more than one hour away, my day starts at 0300 and finishes (back home, fed, packed and ready for AM hunt at 1000. it usually involves a 1-3 hour dive, 1-2 miles of kayaking often in strong winds, and then anywhere from 50 yard to 2 miles of hiking with eveything.... then a lunch scouting 1-3 miles, set up, evening hunt and then pack out, kayak out, rive home...... I have been eating a ton of nuts and food and still lost 5 pounds. at 55, it takes a toll on the body. I am wore down as much as the bucks chasing this rut. I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow but I am growing tired.....

lol.... some of you have no idea thaty my day looks like. with the nearest, decent public land more than one hour away, my day starts at 0300 and finishes (back home, fed, packed and ready for AM hunt at 1000. it usually involves a 1-3 hour dive, 1-2 miles of kayaking often in strong winds, and then anywhere from 50 yard to 2 miles of hiking with eveything.... then a lunch scouting 1-3 miles, set up, evening hunt and then pack out, kayak out, rive home...... I have been eating a ton of nuts and food and still lost 5 pounds. at 55, it takes a toll on the body. I am wore down as much as the bucks chasing this rut. I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow but I am growing tired.....
That sounds like a ton of work, but there are days that all sounds better to me than even just waking up at 4:30 to head out into the backyard in -15 degree weather with 30mph winds....I cant feel my feet or hands by first light!

Do it fave!!!
Remember, I had 2 good 120”+ bucks in range on the ground just this past Wednesday.
To quote YOU
“All you need is 90 seconds to turn your season around”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a ton of work, but there are days that all sounds better to me than even just waking up at 4:30 to head out into the backyard in -15 degree weather with 30mph winds....I cant feel my feet or hands by first light!
I'm up here in VT also and this November is ridiculous. 20 today. 8 yesterday. So much snow to deal with.

I posted earlier how I'm beginning to realize how much more I like October archery than November rifle, and this is only growing more so with these conditions.

I think I really need to consider moving south somewhere. All this talk of "the rut" makes me want to be excited but... all I see are spikes, does, & fawns, and they move at last light the same as they do in October. All I get from the deal is freezing cold, hunters everywhere, and zero confidence that I'm not wasting my time out there. So much different than October when I'm warm, there's limited hunting pressure, and I expect to see deer every sit and have a 50/50 chance at a shot opportunity.

Sorry to be a downer. Time to start prepping for hard water season I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

@DaveT1963 I can relate a bit. I am fortunate to be in a position to take off long weekends throughout October and the first 18 days of November (followed by the Thanksgiving break). I too hunt primarily about 2 hours from home but I pull a camper there and stay in the area rather than commute every day. However, since I'm there with nothing else to do I hunt almost every sit morning and evening sit possible. \

The weather this year could be best described as wet and its tough to dry things out living in a camper. On top of that I had a rough season this year with only two real opportunities at legal bucks and I chose not to take either due to their size. I too have hunted hard this year, in fact, I have lost almost 35 lbs since the middle of September this year, most of that from living outdoors and walking the miles to hunt.

Ordinarily by this time I would be frustrated and upset with my lack of "luck" but I took some words you posted preseason to heart.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/enjoy-the-season.8808/

I recognized myself in the post and decided this year to follow your advice, whatever my season brought me. Well, I am pleased to say I did "Have Fun" and "Avoided Frustration" despite my lack of luck with weather conditions and deer opportunities.
I just wanted to offer a sincere Thank You for posting the advice you did as you reminded me that despite all the adversity, I need to keep in mind I'm dong what I love. Thanks again @DaveT1963 .

Dude that’s your motivation “I know the rut is in full swing right now”

@DaveT1963 I have some motivation for you, just know that more you slow down the closer you come to wearing Camo crocs! ........ in all seriousness I wish you luck out there long days like that can definitely wear you down mentally and physically.

@DaveT1963 nothing wrong with taking a day off. I get it. My hunting spots are 1.5 to 3 hours away. Your an inspiration. Remember, you have to be tough to hunt like this, and even tougher to keep continue doing it once you are over 50.

@DaveT1963 nothing wrong with taking a day off. I get it. My hunting spots are 1.5 to 3 hours away. Your an inspiration. Remember, you have to be tough to hunt like this, and even tougher to keep continue doing it once you are over 50.

yeah these young bucks don't get it...... YET LOL. I still hold my own, but in last 4 weeks I have literally hiked well over 100 milestones, sat in saddle well over 200 hours, paddled who knows how many miles.... with an average of 4-5 hours sleep all with bow and gear....I am a little tired then lay night I just could not sleep....... needed a catch up day but im feeling better this evening.

It's supposed to be fun. If you're worn out and want to take a day off, take a day off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A few years back I hunted 29 days straight except Sundays no hunting on Sundays in Pa for one buck I had pics of and on the 29 day I got him. I was burned out on day 25 but if I didn't go out hunting I wouldn't have gotten my buck. I went out on the 30th day in the afternoon just to doe hunt well just to sleep in the tree. It was all worth it.

Attachments

• 1024152304.jpg
    1024152304.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 33
Back