• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buy Tethrd Mantis Saddle or Predator Platform

Zddog

Hey saddle hunters

I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on what would make the biggest difference (comfort, functionality and benefit me the most). I finally sold my tree lounge yesterday and have the money to support Tethrd nation. I was getting ready to buy the mantis then I thought about it. Would the predator platform be a better fit for me.

History for everyone. I’ve been hunting out of a saddle for 15 years (trophy line that is) it’s still in great shape. Ive never used a true platform for saddle hunting and always used the top of my lone wolf or muddy sticks (no longer have bc I sold them to buy wild edge stepps). What I was going to do was buy 10 WE with the aider (4 stepps as my platform 6 to climb with wider). Now thinking about it I could use two WE steps for an addition to my platform with the predator platform and buy 8 WE stepps still have 6 to climb.

Never having hunted from a true platform would it make that much of a comfort difference in my all day sit hunts or will buying the mantis make the biggest comfort difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually saddle and foot discomfort are two different things.

If your comfy in your current saddle I’d spring for a predator. IMO the foot comfort of a predator-style platform is leaps and bounds above screw in steps, ameristeps, or anything else out there.

If you are having issues with an older saddle but your feet are fine I’d say a newer saddle - either a mantis or kestrel - are going to be way more comfortable than even the saddles that were available even a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it was me, and I had a saddle, I would go with the platform first. reasoning:
1) you can adjust tether height and saddle for comfort
2) platform will allow for 360 shooting on most trees and will cut down on exposed movement (you don't have to walk around a tree)
3) You already have a saddle - sounds like you do not have a platform?

Just my opinion. I can make just about any saddle work for hunting. I can NOT duplicate the advantages of a platform with a ring of steps. Now not everyone agrees with the platform so that is also a personal preference. I don't hunt above 25 foot (usually at 17-18 foot) and I do not like to reposition while deer are close. During the rut, you will often have other deer, especially does around the tree, that to me is NOT the time to try a lot fo tree walking. I much rather prefer, and I have been bust far less, making small adjustments in rotating my body on a platform then I did trying to reposition on a ring of steps. There is a reason many ring of step users set up 30 foot and above.

if I had Stepps I would be getting the Mantis. wild edge stepps make a GREAT platform! IMHO if i wanted to carry a tree stand to stand on I would carry a lock on again this is my humble opinion and is subject to change

Predator and 6 WE steps, don't really need extra steps around 99% of trees. Then save up for a Mantis/Kite, there will be some barely used ones on the forum in the off season. No matter how good they are, some people love their climbers/lock ons or bought the wrong size saddle in the first place.

if I had Stepps I would be getting the Mantis. wild edge stepps make a GREAT platform! IMHO if i wanted to carry a tree stand to stand on I would carry a lock on again this is my humble opinion and is subject to change
And it starts again! haha, this debate will never be settled.

Predator and 6 WE steps, don't really need extra steps around 99% of trees. Then save up for a Mantis/Kite, there will be some barely used ones on the forum in the off season. No matter how good they are, some people love their climbers/lock ons or bought the wrong size saddle in the first place.

And it starts again! haha, this debate will never be settled.
Nope it wont! Bwahahahhahaha! BUT that's why I said IMHO

I would stick with the TL and pick up the predator. You know that you already are happy with the TL. A platform in my opinion helps especially with longs sits. Next time replace the most comfortable saddle in creation with the lightest, not sure how comfortable it is as I dont have a mantis.

You could basically finance the Predator purchase by selling the Trophyline plus maybe finding some spare change in the couch cushions. Then you can buy the Mantis. Justification? Even then, in terms of sunk cost these things should continue to hold their secondary value very well.

Then again I spend way too much money on hunting gear in the offseason and have backups for backups, so I'm not one to relate to the sell this to fund that mentality.

But just a question...What are you using this year? Season starts Saturday, are you planning for next year already or ironing this out on the fly?

My $.02
I have been using a TL for about 10 years, love it, it works great and I'm sure I'll keep it. I also have a Mantis and love it, it's definitely more light weight and pack-able and seems pretty comfortable from the few hours that I've used it so far.
I have been using a ring of steps for quite a few years, mostly screw ins and tops of ladder sticks until a couple years ago. I have WE steps, ameristeps, Helium cut offs and cranford rope steps and I've used them all as a platform, they all work. I also just bought a Predator and I will probably use it exclusively.
If given the choice between one or the other I would go with the Predator... or the Mantis, it's a tough decision and only you will know what you prefer most.

Definitely go with the platform. I used a platform for the first time last season and it was a game changer. I am a leaner and it made the saddle so much more comfortable and maneuverable when up in the tree.

Definitely go with the platform. I used a platform for the first time last season and it was a game changer. I am a leaner and it made the saddle so much more comfortable and maneuverable when up in the tree.
2x

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. Loved everyone’s insight. I actually sold my lone wolf and muddy sticks and just got in the mail yesterday the Wild Edge Stepps from a guy on here. He had 12 stepps and bag looks brand new. Still thinking about buying the platform after reading everyone’s comments but want to see how I like the WE stepps for a platform. If I like them then I’ll buy the mantis. If I don’t like them for a platform I’ll buy the predator.

15a72ef03f9769c4a50a0fa496d474ac.jpg
5984aa226a5dd890b8339a7f73cfd3bf.jpg
bc3b5751b5dca6f75b4bbf553e4e91a2.jpg
48b774991ad3a841df8c9bb7864b6e44.jpg

To answer so questions I do love my TL and been using it for just under 15 years off and on. The past 5 years I’ve been saddle hunting the vast majority of time.
I ended up killing my first doe out of my saddle this past Saturday and the guy I sold my muddys to allowed me to use them until I found WE stepps. I tried making my own platform to stand on but didn’t work out. So I just stood on the top of the muddy steps.

a71178eeb403615834582b5e6a8f682d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back