• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cambium Saver/ Tree Saver, Rope Saver

Thunder81

When girth hitched to the trunk of the tree, does anyone use a cambium saver to help with the friction on the rope? This is to ease friction to make the rope more retrievable from the ground. This would also save wear and tear on the rope. Who does this?

No. It’s not needed. Yale Bandit, Bluewater Assault, Sterling HTP, Samson 3/8” static...tough ropes.

If you’re using rappel rope, it wants to fall off the tree once you get the girth hitch open. Yale Bandit grabs the tree but I have used that for rappel too.

I tie a stopper knot at the top end of my tether. I clip a retrieval line (my gear haul line) to it, and it’s easy to open the girth hitch from the ground

No. It’s not needed. Yale Bandit, Bluewater Assault, Sterling HTP, Samson 3/8” static...tough ropes.

If you’re using rappel rope, it wants to fall off the tree once you get the girth hitch open. Yale Bandit grabs the tree but I have used that for rappel too.

I tie a stopper knot at the top end of my tether. I clip a retrieval line (my gear haul line) to it, and it’s easy to open the girth hitch from the ground
Yeah, I was just practicing last night in a tree with a bunch of limbs. I didn't have a huge issue getting my rope back but it was significantly more friction than when climbing on a limbless tree.

I was trying that a few days ago and you don't get quite as much leverage when pulling the screw link but it works for sure

index.php

I just girth hitch the line around the rope next to the stopper knot

Yeah, that's a GriGri2. I sold it and went back to ATC and just got the ATC Pilot.
I forgot to mention....the reason I really liked hanging my retrieval line on the stopper knot, is that it keeps the line out of your way on rappel instead of hanging down right next to your rope.

Yeah, that's a GriGri2. I sold it and went back to ATC and just got the ATC Pilot.
I forgot to mention....the reason I really liked hanging my retrieval line on the stopper knot, is that it keeps the line out of your way on rappel instead of hanging down right next to your rope.
I have the ATC XP and really like it. I use this https://www.amazon.com/Doyles-Huntin-Hoist-Camo-Style/dp/B003DR0ZBG and it really stays out of your way. I know you are really big on weight and it is a little hefty but I keep it attached to the bags on my saddle. To me, it is worth its weight just to stay out of the way and I never forget it.

I have the ATC XP and really like it. I use this https://www.amazon.com/Doyles-Huntin-Hoist-Camo-Style/dp/B003DR0ZBG and it really stays out of your way. I know you are really big on weight and it is a little hefty but I keep it attached to the bags on my saddle. To me, it is worth its weight just to stay out of the way and I never forget it.

Heres another light weight version of the doyles retriever;
Loaded this high ratio chalk line box with muzzy bowfishing line for the AMS retriever as it's meant to stack without tangle....as long as your pulling up a light load by hand , then winding the line into the box it's bee 100% trouble free...same with using it for rappell rope retrieval by girth hitching to the stopper knot.
Weight : 4 oz. With 40ish feet of line.

Attachments

• 20171015_195844.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 33
Interesting...

Could you set those reels up with 35' of 550 cord? Application would be pulling up a 7 lb xbow.

Are they quiet?

Interesting...

Could you set those reels up with 35' of 550 cord? Application would be pulling up a 7 lb xbow.

Are they quiet?
I don't think the spool would have enough capacity for 35' of para cord.
And yes....very quiet as long as you don't yank the cordage out of the device.

When girth hitched to the trunk of the tree, does anyone use a cambium saver to help with the friction on the rope? This is to ease friction to make the rope more retrievable from the ground. This would also save wear and tear on the rope. Who does this?

I have done this. I hook my retrieval/gear haul line to the link which I use to girth hitch the tree. A have run into instances when girth hitching horizontally around the tree trunk where the friction of the rope on the tree prevented me from being able to loosen the girth hitch from the ground. My solution was to re-purpose the abrasion protective sleeve from the lineman's belt on my Aerohunter as a friction reducer. It eases the friction and allows me to pull the knot freely from the ground.

I only have had this problem when the girth hitch is horizontal, i.e when I've used a single stick climbing method. If I've used a throw bag and pulled the rope over a limb for SRT then the girth hitch tends to be more vertical and it pulls out easily without the friction saver.

Tying my retrieval line to the opposite side of the tree from the rappel line girth hitch as suggested by @justsomedude hadn't occurred to me but I really like that idea for loosening the girth hitch. I'm going to have to give that a try. Thanks @justsomedude.

Back