• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying clothing layers

justsomedude

Any tips for good external carry of layers? I'll usually take an hour or so to cool down before layering up. I also don't like having loose pieces I can drop or have fall out of my pack when getting other things out. Milsurp sleep system bag and radio pouches I have are too loud.

My potential pack is a Tenzing 1500 backpack. I got it because it has a nice frame for a small pack. It is theoretically replacing a DayOne Fleece pack that sucks at carrying weight, but it has elastic drawstrings and makes no noise. But I am going to be carrying a rappel setup this year. I will probably just add a couple of dump pouches to my pack.

I am wearing mostly Kuiu layers.
I wear merino base and mid layers and have some fleece bottoms as well and usually Kuiu Attack pants unless I go for heavy snow pants. It doesn't get SUPER cold in TN but it is humid / cold which can be surprising :)

I have a light long sleeve Predator shirt I can wear on top of my merino and will likely hike/climb in that.
I'll be carrying Kuiu Peloton Zip T fleece, Peloton 240 Full Zip (more wind protection) and a Teton Insulated Jacket and Teton Zip Off insulated pants. Also the general Beanie, Neck Gaitors, Gloves, Heavy Gloves, Muff or Snowmobile milsurp mitts. For rain/shelter, usually just a stuff sack poncho.

I have a couple of Sea To Summit silnylon stuff sacks for insulated pieces. One for jacket and one for pants...they reduce the size well enough without having to deal with compression straps (but if there was an easy compression, Id be interested).

I have some Kifaru Ultralight zipper pullouts. Good for gloves. extra socks, fleece shirts.
I could attach an exterior pouch to my pack. But I am trying to not add noise when I need to put something away or get something out.

Oh yeah...

I am looking at some of those fleece lined stuff sacks that you can use as pillows. Could use them soft side out to stay quiet

FYI,

2.5 to 6 liter stuff sacks work well. My Kuiu insulated jacket packs down well into the 6L. I'll have a few sacks in my backpack. Keeps everything small and organized.

I had to bump up to a larger pack though.

0ce327e7cb5e8864484dc4cc9a1e237e.jpg
f336e44b2ae461c545ba1987098a8c57.jpg
8f050507aab36f7f0e8880e2e614e352.jpg

I do the dark walk in my undies. In Canada in November it doesn't take long to cool down. I put insulated bibs and a heated jacket inside my orange vest, then place it all in my web. It's to dark to benefit from the orange at that point.
I carry it on a separate frame to keep sweat away from the web.
I'll take off my shirt and bag it. I'll get cold we'll before I would dry off so I'll use a small towel to dry off before putting on a new shirt. I'll bag the towel with the shirt. I dry my hair first then my body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
I need to get more disciplined about all that. My hands and feet sweat a lot any way. I've always been lazy about extra socks and carrying clothes in.

But I just sold all my boat anchor wool stuff and have been getting more packable. We;ll see

I use to roll up a jacket and use the two cinch straps on the underside of my back pack to carry it in them pit it on once I'm settled in the tree. Now that I got kuiu I don't bring extra clothes. Everything stays on. Their zip t 1/4 neck shirts sip down low so all shirts and base layers zip down, open pit zips on shirts and jackets, open thigh vents on pants. It's like turning on the AC. I don't sweat any more. I don't stink like I use too after sweating. I'm lighter and less bulky and warm when I need to be. Kuiu is expensive and I never thought I'd ever pay that much for cloths but now I wish I would ha e started collecting years ago. Plus now all my camo matches! Lol

I run three set ups depending on time of year and duration.

Early season sit: Alaska guide creations max kiss. Carries everything I need.

Early/mid season day hunt: badlands monster. Plenty of space for everything and ensures I don't look like a flea market walking through the woods.

Late season/multi day hunt: camelback trizip with two tac tailor med utility pouches on the back. Excellent pack that's just big enough. You can strap sticks and what not right to the pack. Was made with mystery ranch and is based on the 3 day pack. I still wear the Alaska guide creations with the pack with no issues.

These 3 systems cover me the entire year.

Back