• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying sticks.

Bogle

SH Member
a827e008a0c851416f86c284a4491eae.jpg

I love my Lone Wolf sticks but I hate carrying them. I've tried just about everything but they always seem to be problematic. They seem to hit everything or constantly shift back and forth. This is my attempt to solve that problem. So far it has worked out great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looks good Bogle, can you give me more details on how you hook them up. Maybe some close-ups and different angles. Thanks

I'll take some more pics later tonight and post some details on the set up.

99398163ece3fb4eaf142d78174b945e.jpg

Here is a side view

196123cc2b27e71f7c6b501a94473834.jpg

View from behind.

a41c5549dc15d14e2b91b8c5a4a8f4a1.jpg

Another side view.

Basically, I took an extra Lone Wolf stick and bolted it to a piece of Sea Deck that I cut in the shape of a capital I. I then ported the sea deck bracket to make it lighter. I added back pack straps and a waist belt to help distribute the weight. I could also add a fifth stick if needed. Once up the tree you can strap it to the tree if needed and even attach your quiver to it. I made one out of wood as well and it worked pretty good. I also made a "shelf" to go on top where I could set a fanny pack or rain gear but I removed it. It was just as easy to strap it to the bracket.

That looks great. I tried something similar in the form of a bag last year but it didn't work out. Yours looks much nicer!

Re:

jlh42581 said:
Try laying your sticks on their side

When I tried something similar with them on their side, the problem I ran into was the brackets hitting me in the head and butt if I didn't have it at the exact right height. If definitely will work and help keep the weight closer to your body, but you need to keep them far enough from your body so they don't hit you.

I've got an old Alice Pack frame I could donate to making something similar. I think I'll give it a try.

g2outdoors said:
I've got an old Alice Pack frame I could donate to making something similar. I think I'll give it a try.

After my bag project I did that with a molle frame. Works great for carrying the sticks. If you use a backpack you will need to figure out an easy way to carry it with that on your back. It didn't work great for my system because I like to use my backpack and a bowsling to carry my bow. I find that carrying my 3 sticks with the carry strap from strapworks, my backpack and my bowsling all work together.

I use muddy sticks. I strap them right to the bottom of my pack

g2outdoors said:
That's what I've been using - the strapworks carry strap. I guess if it ain't broke...

There is always room for improvement ;)
but the strapworks strap works pretty darn good.

I haven't seen the strap works strap, but I went to Wally World and in the camping section they had 1" nylon webbing straps with buckles on the end. I bought 2. I then clipped them around the sticks and tied an overhand loop to leave a rabbits ear. I then clipped into those ears with another strap. Works great. Keeps the sticks totally silent and in three clicks, the whole thing is off.

Yea, I did the strap works holder and the webbing and both were silent. However, I hated having 4 or even 5 sticks hanging across my neck or shoulder during long walks. They always seem to shift around and hit my sights or scope due to the weight being unevenly distributed. I also didn't like gun hunting with that much weight hanging around my neck. I was always afraid I would jump a good buck on my way in or out and not be able to shoot. Now my arms are completely free to move.

Back