• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climb rope beginner........ha

hpdrifter

Well, I received my Quidos Web a couple of days ago. Learned some of the ins and out of it for a few days; more learning needed!

However, rope ascention was the plan. I tried climbing some rope(7/16" Kernmantel) with some prusik knots and..........doesn't look like that is a viable method for me. They bound totally too much, took two hands to loosen them. Didn't really have two hands available at the time. :oops:

Worked my tail of and got every bit of about 3'. Couldn't get the prusik knots loose, and fought like hades to get back down. Trying to use the Texas kick.

I have yet to order a throw line to pull climbing rope up, I just used some climbing steps to get a rope up about 15' for test run purposes. Seems I might not be needing to order the throw line. If I can't get up the rope, why throw a rope puller up????? :)

Is it REALLY any easier with ascenders?

Redsquirrel; Is the mini frog system any easier? I read where you were experimenting with that.

I'm gonna investigate other friction hitches to see if they "break loose" any easier; say one-handed.

Any reinforcing input would be greatly appreciated.

I can't answer all of your questions, but one.. Yes, ascenders are WAY easier than a prusik, and I never really had a lot of trouble with prusiks binding tightly. Advancing an ascender is almost effortless. It's still work to climb, but there's work involved in any method.

I just bought the petzl rig and ascender a couple week ago, it works well for me and the guidos web.

Can't speak on the prussiks because I hate them and never use them for anything, but ascenders have to be easier. I was fooling around with my climbing systems the other day and I got my RADS system to work a little better than I had initially by using both feet in the footloop. I was able to climb about 25 foot (after everything was setup) with both RADS and the frog/microfrog hybrid I am using in about 1 minute 15 seconds. The advantage of RADS was that your descender is hooked up at all times. The advantage of the microfrog is that I find it to be much quieter.

When I'm hunTing a New area or even a favorite area where I don't want to leave anything (other than maybe paracord to pull in rope) in the tree, I use this method. I have a petzl hand ascended with foot loop and a foot ascender on the opposite boot. Then I attach my saddle's bridge to rope with either a grigri2 or a Ropeman. I feel very safe climbing this way and it's very easy.
I had too much trouble with the knots binding up myself and after experimenting with a bunch of gear, this is what I use when I don't have sticks with me or if I don't want steps in tree. I practice often and after a couple of tries, it's very easy and smooth. The only issues I have sometimes are getting the rope in a tree I never climbed in the dark, And the clank of the carabiners while taking the ascender and grigri out of the pack and putting them on the rope.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input.

Now I gotta decide whether I want to spend more money..........on either a LW hand climber seat(as a platform and climbing aid) or more rope gear.

essdub said:
I have a petzl hand ascended with foot loop and a foot ascender on the opposite boot. Then I attach my saddle's bridge to rope with either a grigri2 or a Ropeman.
This is basically how I am climbing except I am using a petzl croll chest ascender for my bridge.

hpdrifter said:
Thanks guys, appreciate your input.

Now I gotta decide whether I want to spend more money..........on either a LW hand climber seat(as a platform and climbing aid) or more rope gear.
I would not recommend the hand climber seat. There is another thread you might want to check out with lots of discussion on that.

What kind of rope are you using and what kind of prusik material?

For me, because I am more than a little reckless, I just search for kernmantle rope on eBay and buy lengths that are suitable in at least 9-10-11 mm size. That way I justify to myself that I found the best deal. I just bought a forty foot long length of 1/2 black color that said kernmantle rope for less than $30.00 , but that's really too thick for my taste. The thicker rope doesn't operate as easily in the ascenders and descenders

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DIYSaddler, I did like essdub; I bought some 7/16" kernmantle(black-47') off of ebay along with some 9mm "Prusik" cord(red). Couldn't tell you what kind or make it is.

I'm not at all ready for the open of gun deer season. Too many gotchyous came up this year. Guess I'll be relegated to my little ground blind this year. I can't stand hauling the Ol Man climber around the woods. I'd like to use the Guido's web, but haven't had time to get set up for it. Maybe later or next year.

hpdrifter said:
DIYSaddler, I did like essdub; I bought some 7/16" kernmantle(black-47') off of ebay along with some 9mm "Prusik" cord(red). Couldn't tell you what kind or make it is.

I'm not at all ready for the open of gun deer season. Too many gotchyous came up this year. Guess I'll be relegated to my little ground blind this year. I can't stand hauling the Ol Man climber around the woods. I'd like to use the Guido's web, but haven't had time to get set up for it. Maybe later or next year.

Since you've already got the rope there's and I'm assuming it's already tied in a loop you could try a klemheist knot. Just remember when you wrap your prusiks and klemheist it's always best to wrap toward your dominant hand. (i.e. If you're right handed you want your pass through loop facing you on the right hand side of the rope.) That way when you go to move the knot up you release the tension on the friction knot and then as you grab the knot to slide it up the rope you can use your thumb to peal the loop back thus loosening the knot and making it easier to slide.

The other thing you can do is switch the prusik chord you're using. I'm using the PMI green and purple accessory chord from REI which is 52ft for $19. It's rated for 7.5kn and with that particular chord you should be able to use a double loop prusik with much better results.
http://www.rei.com/product/752376/pmi-6 ... e-of-52-ft

Just make sure when you tie your upper prusik you make it long enough that you can push up almost to the end of your reach, that way you can hike your foot loops up farther and gain height faster.

Back