• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Harness and Sit Drag

Thunder81

I am new to Saddle Hunting and I am currently using a Sit Drag with a full body harness. I want to go to a Sit Drag with a Rock Climbing Harness. Who does this? Which Climbing Harness do I need to get. I use the 1 stick climbing method.

Does your body harness have a linesman belt built in? If so I wouldn't change. Or are you using your sitdrag as a linesman?
I have a black diamond big gun. I like it but would try to find something with a linesman belt inter grated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any inexpensive rock climbing harness would work. I've used the Alpind BOD in the past.Good luck!

I use alpine bod and stitched in a belt with loops for lineman. Works great for me and inexpensive, win win.

I'm using the metolius safe tech with the sit drag and it works a TON better than my Evolution when climbing with aider only or the stirrup method. The safetech line is supposed to be climbing rated wherever possible whatever that means so I'm really not sure whether or not the gear loops are rated. They don't seem like it to me, so I run my lineman connections through both gear loops on each side AND I'm always connected by another tether while using it. I have a separate foot tether that runs through my harness as well as the main tether. So even when going over a branch I'm using the LB and one tether is still connected while moving the other. I may end up doing a mod for the LB connection to the harness. It's a little irritating to me that manufacturers don't really provide you with good info on this. You might see some comments about putting the metolius on being slow but that's really nitpicking comparing it to other rock harnesses, it does not take me any longer than the evo and I can walk with it on no problem so it goes on at the vehicle. I've looked for other options with non metal fully rated lineman loops and havent been able to find one, let me know if you have better luck finding that than me.

Thunder,

I used the Alpine BOD quite a bit as well. If you’re hanging from the harness, the BOD can be a nut squeezer. I’ve also done it a lot with the Camp Alp Racer ultralight (thread on it here). The Camp can be a love handle squeezer but works well.

The Metolius SafeTech is downright comfortable

So if I go with a Sit Drag, it looks like the Metolious SafeTech is the best option.
I want to throw something else out to you. Ben G said he liked the Sit Drag and Metolious SafeTech better than the evolution using a similar climbing method. Do any of you have the Kestrel? Would the Kestrel be the better option or Sit Drag and Metolious SafeTech? I usually do all day sits but I can sit in the Sit Drag all day with no issues. I don' t use a linesmans belt, I carry 2 tree tethers. When I get to a limb, I simply attach the second tether above the limb, clip in, and then detach the first tether and keep moving.

Thunder,
I’ve don’t both.

The SafeTech is a better climbing harness because that’s what it is made for. The leg loops give you better balance

The Kestrel advantage is mainly going to be simplicity. It is also a lot easier to get in and out of the Kestrel.

Threading a SafeTech harness belt loop in the dark with gloves while leaning against a tree is a nuisance where the Kestrel just snaps on. The leg loops in the SafeTech are sliders too. It isn’t a HUGE issue but depending upon your process, it is a factor

I have both a kestrel and a sit drag (and a GW and several homemade slings lol).

The kestrel is simply combining a climbing harness and SD. Comfort wise - the kestrel so far has been a scooch more comfortable than the SD with two layers of close cel foam for me. It's mostly about the height of the seat versus the 8" of the SD - more coverage and load spread out. There are lots of other advantages, but i'm comfortable using the sd still.

I would recommend having a climbing harness for setting cameras, pre-sets, trimming limbs, generally any of the tree activities around saddle hunting. I've got a few and they are used regularly. I guess I could use my Kestrel, but I'd prefer to keep it clean and used minimally to get a long life out of it.

all of these options are tools in a tool box, and each helps with a specific situation for a specific person.

Thunder,
I’ve don’t both.

The SafeTech is a better climbing harness because that’s what it is made for. The leg loops give you better balance

The Kestrel advantage is mainly going to be simplicity. It is also a lot easier to get in and out of the Kestrel.

Threading a SafeTech harness belt loop in the dark with gloves while leaning against a tree is a nuisance where the Kestrel just snaps on. The leg loops in the SafeTech are sliders too. It isn’t a HUGE issue but depending upon your process, it is a factor
Which one do you use more the Kestrel or the Sit Drag/ Safetech Combo? Do you use your Kestrel with your Aider/Stirrup only climbing?

I'm a big Sitdrag fan, but if I was using a harness with it, I'd just but the Kestrel.

I don't use a harness with my SD.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

To me there are 2 options for saddles now. A diy version, like the SD, or a kestrel. I don't see the benefit of any other system.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

To me there are 2 options for saddles now. A diy version, like the SD, or a kestrel. I don't see the benefit of any other system.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I totally agree. I like the SD but I need a harness for 1 sticking. I also like being a little extra safe 25-30 feet in a tree. I just can't bring myself to the point of using a SD only with no harness. Looks like I will just have to get a Kestrel.

Thunder,
I sold my Evo and was going to use the SitDrag/Harness combo for lightweight. Then when I saw the Kestrel, it looked like a great balance of size/weight/safety and it is so I sold my SitDrag. I don't need options for my harness

I have used it with SRT, One Stick, Aider, etc. You just have to wear it low enough that it stays under you (have you seen the "Falling Forward" threads?).

And for those that want a LIGHT safety harness, that Camp ALP Racer is the deal. weighs nothing. I used it with an XOP Climber seat/sit drag

Thunder,
I sold my Evo and was going to use the SitDrag/Harness combo for lightweight. Then when I saw the Kestrel, it looked like a great balance of size/weight/safety and it is so I sold my SitDrag. I don't need options for my harness

I have used it with SRT, One Stick, Aider, etc. You just have to wear it low enough that it stays under you (have you seen the "Falling Forward" threads?).

And for those that want a LIGHT safety harness, that Camp ALP Racer is the deal. weighs nothing. I used it with an XOP Climber seat/sit drag
Yes, I have read those threads. This has pretty much sold me on the Kestrel. I will just wear it low and it should be fine. I just didn't want to spend $400 on a system and then wish I had just bought an RC harness for the Sit Drag. Looks like you have already been through this so a Kestrel it is.

I totally agree. I like the SD but I need a harness for 1 sticking. I also like being a little extra safe 25-30 feet in a tree. I just can't bring myself to the point of using a SD only with no harness. Looks like I will just have to get a Kestrel.
I rappel out of my SD. No harness :) but I'm crazy.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back