• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing methods questions

EarlBon94

So I spent the latter part of 22-23 season in a borrowed Mantis, and I grew to love the concept although I must have a more comfortable saddle for next season.

Looking into one sticking, here’s my observation-
Those who are good at it and have good equipment seem to think it’s the only way to ever climb a tree ever. It sounds like the ultimate method with no real drawbacks. While I respect the Staggs, etc who are excellent at their craft, is it realistic for everyone?

My thought initially was to acquire a set of Tethrd One sticks and a predator, and running the numbers it looks like that’s about the same $$ as a decent one sticking setup.

Talk me out of it or talk me into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have done a decent amount of it… plenty to discuss but I’ll mention rappelling is a much easier way down. Then on not so rare occasions you might find yourself yanking and yanking to get the rappel rope out of the tree. I pretty much refuse to one stick in just a saddle which means I’m also in a secondary RC harness, and not sure if that suspension pressure on one’s legs is a great thing. But I’m an oddball w the RC harness. Also: tether slack, think about if that’s a risk you want to take. One sticking is fine you can also try it with a cheaper stick. But I’ll tell ya I’m also eyeballing some Tethrd sticks to try this fall, instead.

I have climbed one stick a fair bit, but decided the slack wasn’t worth the risk and sold my one stick. I now use up to 5 Tethrd One sticks and weight wise it’s really not much different and I feel more secure.

You have to decide how much risk you are willing to accept.

I’ve one sticked for two seasons now, I’m 60 and I love it. Light weight, compact, and not a whole lot of fiddle factor. Slack management is a thing, but IMO managing the slack is safer than climbing on a LB. Learning curve on one stick is steeper. First couple of sessions can be a little rough, but by session 5 you trust your gear enough to relax and it’s easy. I can slip through thickets effortlessly and I can climb as high as the situation dictates. Generally, ground set and two moves and I’m at 20ft. Don’t have to carry a platform or tie anything to a backpack (carry my stick on a sling) so I can walk up to the tree put my stick on the tree and start climbing, nothing touches the ground. When I’m done I don’t a have a platform and 4 sticks to wind ropes, stack and tie to a backpack. Just figure 8 my pulldown and rap rope, clip my sling to my stick and I’m off. I like the weight, the height, streamlined unpack/pack, and the lack of bulk provided by the one stick setup.

Now I’m not one of the people who ignore disadvantages because they live in an echo chamber. Leaning trees are more of a challenge than sticks, but after a bit you learn how to deal with them. Same thing for trees with a lot of limbs, a few limbs no problem, but a lot of limbs can be a PIA for one sticking because 2 LB’s are easier than a LB and a tether with a quicklink. Although, if you mange the slack properly, IMO being tethrd to the tree is safer than a LB and there is no doubt that rappelling is much safer than climbing down sticks in the dark. Platform on top of the stick is generally smaller than a separate platform, not a problem for me, but is for some folks. Weight is not as big a factor now with the Tethrd sticks/platform setup being not quite a light as a one stick with rap setup, but probably not the dealbreaker it once was either.

So, as you can see, no method is perfect, sticks or one stick. Really comes down to personal preference and how you hunt. Everyone has to find what best suits them whether that be a bunch of sticks or just one. Good Luck!!

One alternative to the guys who want to one stick but can’t accept the slack issue is to set pre set paracord loops, use your rappel line to pull up and girth hitch around the limb, attach a Madrock or self tending hitch then start one sticking up. This allows you to pull slack out on your way up! There are numerous ways to climb and I believe whichever method you choose should be practiced in the off season until it becomes second nature. It seems that most people struggle with climbing because they won’t put the work into learning, I have found that people as a whole are an “instant gratification nation” meaning we want everything perfect immediately, when the truth is everything has a learning curve. In that being said, put the time in like many others and myself have and try different methods until you find what is simple and effective for you. Just my opinion though, thanks and God Bless!

So I spent the latter part of 22-23 season in a borrowed Mantis, and I grew to love the concept although I must have a more comfortable saddle for next season.

Those who are good at it and have good equipment seem to think it’s the only way to ever climb a tree ever. It sounds like the ultimate method with no real drawbacks. While I respect the Staggs, etc who are excellent at their craft, is it realistic for everyone?

My thought initially was to acquire a set of Tethrd One sticks and a predator, and running the numbers it looks like that’s about the same $$ as a decent one sticking setup.

That’s the route I took. Plus I rappel down. Found it to be less fiddle factor and and more comfortable especially if you’re not super flexible. It ends up taking almost the same amount of time and effort. IMO. Good luck on your choice.

Last edited:
Hmm....There is only gray area when it comes to which is best. Because no matter what method there is always budget versions and weight saving versions. The real question is what do you want to spend and how what's your own priority list? I used to chase the 'lightest' setup while other chase the 'most packable' setup. Majority of the people here love testing and trying everything. Also agree with @Seekbigger, don't fall in the trap of instant gratification, as in if it didn't seem right for you the first few times don't give up on it.

But lets talk budget. I think the best option for starter are the Hawk Helium full length sticks which on sales are around $100. They are a little heavier then top end sticks but if you are packing them well, the extra 3ish lbs total would not be noticeable. Test the different type of attachment method and find out which you like most; stock strap, rope mode, daisy chain, etc. Then I would add different aiders to each sticks, webbing, amsteel, wire, etc. Test which type of aider you like, or if you hate aider in general then stay with the original stick. If you can learn to use an aider, then I would cut all the stick in half to turn them into mini, then add the aider that you like. My mini Hawk only weight 1.5 lbs. I'm using 3, each with a 2 steps aider, and I can get to 18ft.

Then if you really want to try one sticking, just use one of the mini Hawk. Buy a Harken Cam cleat for $30 and 30ft ropes from EWO which is probably another $40-50 depending on the ropes.

Then you can decide if you want to upgrade certain things. Tons of people one stick with a lots of different sticks.

Heck, I'm one sticking with a platform! ALOT of ways to crack that egg!

That’s the route I took. Plus I rappel down. Found it to be less fiddle factor and and more comfortable especially if you’re not super flexible. It ends up taking almost the same amount of time and effort. IMO. Good luck on your choice.
I should tell you that I’ve tried multiple methods. One sticking, platform only climb, multiple sticking, experimented very little with SRT, but after all that I stayed with the multiple sticks, platform, & rappel system. Like @Humancreed said it depends on your budget and how much experimentation you want to do because it all adds up! I upgraded from the Hawk sticks to the Skeletors, to the One stick Gen3. The weight saving was huge! I’m not a minimalist but when you can save weight in areas it’s a plus. Good luck. A lot to think about.

All roads lead to 2tc.one sticking is a fad.thats how you hear of it .the same train of thought that gets rid of the 2 extra sticks.will want to eliminate the last one .its just in the way.so is the rappel rope.just dead weight we carry for fun.fallowing fads just sets you back.....i mean ...you sat in a mantis

Last edited:

4 Tethrd One sticks with a 1 step carry as you go aider weighs about the same as a decked out one stick, long enough rope to rappel down, and the associated rappelling gear. I like the inherent simplicity of multi stick climbing, that you have all those sticks below you as a fail safe (can probably get down no matter what happens), and you can easily climb with multi sticks in a way that properly uses the lineman's all the way up with the tether as a back up (no slack line, i know you can in theory climb with very little slack with a one stick but enough typing has occurred over that that it makes me think it isn't the most straightforward thing)

the only climbing method that seems to be a significant weight savings over the 3 to 4 lbs mark is 2 tether climbing and using the 2 tethers to also get down (stepping the rappel gear).....the lightest versions of stick, step, and one sticking all seem in the same 3 to 5 lbs range

Last edited:
All roads lead to 2tc.one sticking is a fad.thats how you hear of it .the same train of thought that gets rid of the 2 extra sticks.will want to eliminate the last one .its just in the way.so is the rappel rope.just dead weight we carry for fun.fallowing fads just sets you back.....i mean ...you sat in a mantis
Hypothetical situation here .....let's say u 2tc up and u had a medical emergency. I say hypothetical but this year it happened to me. I was feeling fine walking along and all of the sudden out of nowhere I started sweating and nausea and lightheaded....luckily I was not elevated...but if I had been I could have gotten down safe even in the state I was in with simple.rappel to the ground....could u say the same 2tc down?

It was some 24hr bug and no big deal but that first couple hours slowly walking outta the woods and stopping to rest and puke ever hundred yards was a little unnerving...I'm really glad I hadn't climbed a tree that day

Hypothetical situation here .....let's say u 2tc up and u had a medical emergency. I say hypothetical but this year it happened to me. I was feeling fine walking along and all of the sudden out of nowhere I started sweating and nausea and lightheaded....luckily I was not elevated...but if I had been I could have gotten down safe even in the state I was in with simple.rappel to the ground....could u say the same 2tc down?

It was some 24hr bug and no big deal but that first couple hours slowly walking outta the woods and stopping to rest and puke ever hundred yards was a little unnerving...I'm really glad I hadn't climbed a tree that day
Hands down the number one reason for me to rappel. If I need to get down right now for any reason, I can without messing with anything other than the couple seconds it takes to tie a munter and start down.

Well, anything can happen. If you feel better having a rappel option with 2TC that's fine. That said, there are a lot of things that will get you regardless of where you are and what you are doing. A sudden heart attack or stroke is going to incapacitate you regardless of having a rappel option if it is bad enough. If it's your time, it's your time.

Well, anything can happen. If you feel better having a rappel option with 2TC that's fine. That said, there are a lot of things that will get you regardless of where you are and what you are doing. A sudden heart attack or stroke is going to incapacitate you regardless of having a rappel option if it is bad enough. If it's your time, it's your time.
Agree, when it s your time, it's your time. I was thinking more about something like an attack of the dihnarea where being able to maintain a solid pinch could be important. Cant do that with sticks or 2TC. :tonguewink: Seriously, I had vertigo as a kid. When it would hit, most of the time I would lose most motor function and end up on the ground. Dr's said the type I had was rare in kids and mostly seen in old folks. Said I would likely grow out of it and did but they also said there was a chance it could come back at some point later in life. That was 40 years ago. They didnt exactly say when later in life was but I figure I am prolly closing in on that time frame. LOL

Just because you can't control everything doesn't mean you shouldn't control what you can.

I mean, couldn't you still use your rappel rope as your top tether and be ready to bail out if necessary? I was planning to try 2TC using my rappel setup from one sticking as the top tether and then a second tether for my foot loop, and just keep my tag end of the rappel line in my water bottle pouch to avoid tangling the two.

All these methods are good options. No reason not to have two or three climbing methods. I sometime combing methods.
I hunt 15 to 18 feet, sticks or steps with aiders work good.
Some Guys/ Gals on this forum like to hunt at 30 feet. Stick may not work so well if that is your thing.

Back