• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing platform research and development.

Jonesy

I know there are a few on market already and some in the works. I am looking for needs and wants out of a climbing platform. So far I have no tree drag, side steps, quiet, lightweight, compact, ability to transform or switch to one stick, and ability to have a post that can be strapped to tree. Please give me your ideas.

Thanks

3 pounds or less, under $100, weight rated to 350 pounds, 3 attachment methods included to suit any preference, ship the exact day you say you will when you soft launch on social media, no manufacturing or distributor issues accepted, and most importantly have no quality issues that trigger a recall of any sort.

Pretty sure that covers most of what we want.

I thought there was a thread awhile ago like this already but like you said if you could make one transformable from climbing to just a regular old onestick/strap on platform that would be handy. If a person could use the climbing feature between branches then have the ability to go back to one sticking or platform climbing easy enough that would be nice too.

I know there are a few on market already and some in the works. I am looking for needs and wants out of a climbing platform. So far I have no tree drag, side steps, quiet, lightweight, compact, ability to transform or switch to one stick, and ability to have a post that can be strapped to tree. Please give me your ideas.

Thanks
So you are describing something you've already built? Have you prototyped it? Have you designed it with manufacturability in mind or is it something you'll build yourself one at a time?
Ideas for improvement can only come if you share your work so far, but if you're looking to make many and sell them then many current hunting gear manufacturers keep an eye out for ideas to use....
However people share diy ideas all the time here so feel free if you're looking for constructive criticism and build upon ideas.......as well as jokes, jokes will always come....but they're friendly!

Looking for ideas that I can look into incorporating.
Gotcha! Umm well what material/s are you using?
Also your first description sounds like that new climbing platform with all the pins and clips. Nobody likes those. Can you use yours without fiddly stuff?

So you are describing something you've already built? Have you prototyped it? Have you designed it with manufacturability in mind or is it something you'll build yourself one at a time?
Ideas for improvement can only come if you share your work so far, but if you're looking to make many and sell them then many current hunting gear manufacturers keep an eye out for ideas to use....
However people share diy ideas all the time here so feel free if you're looking for constructive criticism and build upon ideas.......as well as jokes, jokes will always come....but they're friendly!
I am looking into designing some kind of climbing platform and/or attachment series that could enable many, if not all of the ideas I can get. I am working with a friend of mine who is a small machinist looking to manufacturing at small scale at first. Nothing has been made yet. Still in research mode.

Gotcha! Umm well what material/s are you using?
Also your first description sounds like that new climbing platform with all the pins and clips. Nobody likes those. Can you use yours without fiddly stuff?
Those are the comments and insight I need. Lack of loose, noisy materials and “pins and clips” is goal.

I am looking into designing some kind of climbing platform and/or attachment series that could enable many, if not all of the ideas I can get. I am working with a friend of mine who is a small machinist looking to manufacturing at small scale at first. Nothing has been made yet. Still in research mode.
So I think many would want at least a 15 to 18" deep platform that can handle side pressure when at the top. Along with your other aspects.

You’re my hero! Something very similar to the top portion of the old cast aluminum Lone Wolf hand climber. Just replace the belt with a cable, no post for caming over like a platform, just hooks for a ratchet strap or cam buckle on either side. No need for anything else.

Back