• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing sticks and Molle frame

d_rek

Anyone using a molle frame kit with the shoulder and waist belts to just haul your climbing sticks?

I have a universal carry strap but got a molle frame with the shoulder straps and waist belt off my BIL for cheap. Looking at my XOP platform and 4 lone wolf sticks I’m trying to brainstorm how to strap all this together for easy hauling.

Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using an old Coleman Peak One frame with straps. It's not mole but the same principle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm using an old Coleman Peak One frame with straps. It's not mole but the same principle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pics? You just strapping everything to the frame?

ed5f992afeab1ab6927d66f730b58c1f.jpg
9d9f7a786b33813b62d7085a636a63ab.jpg

This is it with a TL and cold gear sandwiched between rapid rails.

My Web works on it as well

I use this pack.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/08/ha...l-1000-external-frame-pack-from-browning/amp/

Had it already for packing a quartered deer out so thought I would give it a try.

It seems like overkill but it’s actually pretty compact with the top of the frame removed and packs up my saddle, platform and sticks very nicely. 3 quick connect straps and the shelf on the bottom makes everything very easy to pack up quickly. Best part is it’s so comfortable I hardly know it’s on my back.

Last edited:
That’s pretty slick. I’ve thought about something like that before.

I use this pack.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/08/ha...l-1000-external-frame-pack-from-browning/amp/

Had it already for packing a quartered deer out so thought I would give it a try.

It seems like overkill but it’s actually pretty compact with the top of the frame removed and packs up my saddle, platform and sticks very nicely. 3 quick connect straps and the shelf on the bottom makes everything very easy to pack up quickly. Best part is it’s so comfortable I hardly know it’s on my back.

Do you know what that pack is called?

dd8108de5f48c33c129f3e48c23fcf29.jpg
44263da61c0da5f3e09c51a813b33c4a.jpg
6eb774dec2bbba1b413b41a9a9f59070.jpg
f8566b40a670f092a7a361ea21d1df6c.jpg
ad1dee51ed9d7a2c171642a0b0003d85.jpg

Photo 1: frame layout.
Photo 2&3: cold wx Trophyline set up.
Photo 4&5: cold wx Web set up.

Got it all rigged up. This is pretty nice! Should help on those mile hikes to my state land spots.

A little extra webbing material right now, but will trim it back as necessary. It's pretty solid/tight. Will probably cinch everything a little bit higher so the sticks don't bump against my butt.

96Lb8WX.jpg

HH7maIY.jpg

rV5MCvU.jpg

Got it all rigged up. This is pretty nice! Should help on those mile hikes to my state land spots.

A little extra webbing material right now, but will trim it back as necessary. It's pretty solid/tight. Will probably cinch everything a little bit higher so the sticks don't bump against my butt.

96Lb8WX.jpg

HH7maIY.jpg

rV5MCvU.jpg
That's looks slick. Do you have to completely unload to ascend?? I'm still working mine out, but getting close to being able to set the first 2 sticks. Then hang the platform in the center & another stick on either side (looped off). I think I'm pretty close to climbing right up & then just pulling my bow up.

That's looks slick. Do you have to completely unload to ascend?? I'm still working mine out, but getting close to being able to set the first 2 sticks. Then hang the platform in the center & another stick on either side (looped off). I think I'm pretty close to climbing right up & then just pulling my bow up.

Yeah I gave it a field run this afternoon. Worked pretty good all things considered. A couple refinements I’ll make in the short term will be to secure some webbing directly to the frame to keep the sticks super tight to it. They wanted to slide a little bit that’s because I just used cinch straps to secure to frame and didn’t slot them through the MOLLE slots.

You do have to unload everything to ascend, unfortunately.

I still haven’t found a great, silent way to hang in one go. I usually just pop one stick up at a time, but it sure sounds nice to not have to go up and down a tree several times.

The other problem I’m discovering is the kestrel really wants to slide off after you load it with too much stuff. Even just tying my XOP platform to it makes it sag.

All in all promising start.

Yeah I gave it a field run this afternoon. Worked pretty good all things considered. A couple refinements I’ll make in the short term will be to secure some webbing directly to the frame to keep the sticks super tight to it. They wanted to slide a little bit that’s because I just used cinch straps to secure to frame and didn’t slot them through the MOLLE slots.

You do have to unload everything to ascend, unfortunately.

I still haven’t found a great, silent way to hang in one go. I usually just pop one stick up at a time, but it sure sounds nice to not have to go up and down a tree several times.

The other problem I’m discovering is the kestrel really wants to slide off after you load it with too much stuff. Even just tying my XOP platform to it makes it sag.

All in all promising start.

Any further field tests and/or refinements? I have the rucksack frame, shoulder straps and waist belt. I also have a Cabelas Alaskan pack frame. The pack frame sticks out too much vertically, but I think I can take the top off. The molle is not put together to frame, but after it is, how do I cinch the gear to it? More straps or bungees?

I want to attach sticks, guidos web, outer wear and gear. Carrying sticks with the Strapworks strap and wearing the guidos web stinks. The strap digs into my neck. I really like everything tight against my back like a good pack with waist belt.

It is getting to the point in the season where I will be transitioning mostly from archery to firearms, and the Web is great for that. Archery with badlands diablo dos pack and sticks and sit drag worked well, but I want the extra comfort of the Web without the shoulder strap hassles.

Any further field tests and/or refinements? I have the rucksack frame, shoulder straps and waist belt. I also have a Cabelas Alaskan pack frame. The pack frame sticks out too much vertically, but I think I can take the top off. The molle is not put together to frame, but after it is, how do I cinch the gear to it? More straps or bungees?

I want to attach sticks, guidos web, outer wear and gear. Carrying sticks with the Strapworks strap and wearing the guidos web stinks. The strap digs into my neck. I really like everything tight against my back like a good pack with waist belt.

It is getting to the point in the season where I will be transitioning mostly from archery to firearms, and the Web is great for that. Archery with badlands diablo dos pack and sticks and sit drag worked well, but I want the extra comfort of the Web without the shoulder strap hassles.

Yeah took it out a couple more times for some longer hikes on state land. Playing with positioning of cinch straps helped keep the whole thing rock solid. I also rolled my kestrel up with dump pouches that hold linemans and tree tether and also strapped that down. For additional gear I just bungies my jacket/layers to the pack which worked quite well for the most part. The excess gear did get snagged up a few times busting through some thick crap but I ran out of webbing to make cinch straps. The bungies have a tendency to shift/move occasionally. I tried not to bring in more than I could carry in pockets for my public land hunts so I didn’t have a second pack to deal with. I have a large MOLLE pouch I could probably work into the whole setup if I need more gear but for now works really well for those 1/2 mile plus hikes.

Yeah took it out a couple more times for some longer hikes on state land. Playing with positioning of cinch straps helped keep the whole thing rock solid. I also rolled my kestrel up with dump pouches that hold linemans and tree tether and also strapped that down. For additional gear I just bungies my jacket/layers to the pack which worked quite well for the most part. The excess gear did get snagged up a few times busting through some thick crap but I ran out of webbing to make cinch straps. The bungies have a tendency to shift/move occasionally. I tried not to bring in more than I could carry in pockets for my public land hunts so I didn’t have a second pack to deal with. I have a large MOLLE pouch I could probably work into the whole setup if I need more gear but for now works really well for those 1/2 mile plus hikes.

Thanks. I played around a little tonight with my gear. What exactly are you using to cinch your gear to the frame? I did not get anything for that.

Alaskan Pack frame is 5.1 lbs, molle shoulder, waist and plastic ruck sack frame is 4 lbs. I could add a waist belt to guidos web, but haven't tried that.

One way or another, Friday I will be trying a new configuration for carrying all I need for a GW run and gun hunt.

Thanks. I played around a little tonight with my gear. What exactly are you using to cinch your gear to the frame? I did not get anything for that.

Alaskan Pack frame is 5.1 lbs, molle shoulder, waist and plastic ruck sack frame is 4 lbs. I could add a waist belt to guidos web, but haven't tried that.

One way or another, Friday I will be trying a new configuration for carrying all I need for a GW run and gun hunt.

I'm using excess 1" poly webbing I had laying around. I then purchased a couple sets of 'Double Adjust Side Release Buckles' from strapworks so that I could adjust the length and do quick on/off. They work really good. You can pull those suckers super tight and the sticks and platform sticks tight to the Molle frame and doesn't slide at all. If I'm feeling ambitious sometime soon i'll take a video of the setup and post it.

Back